21

narration

a week has passed and haewon didn't hear anything completely from eunwoo.

she didn't know how to reach him. she didn't know where jinae's place is. she doesn't know any of his friends except for insoo. she didn't want to bother him in school.

"sweetie, are you alright?" eunwoo's mother asked.

haewon looked so tired. she looked so weak but she managed to smile.

"i'm okay, mom. maybe i just got exhausted from work." she smiled and continued to apply make up on her face.

eunwoo's mother invited her over a lunch date - only haewon and eunwoo's mother hanging out. eunwoo's mom prefer going out with haewon who is bubbly and easy to be with, than being with her husband who would often complain about his wife taking a very long time on buying stuff.

"i'd love to buy you clothes and stuff. would you stay until dinner, sweetie?"

haewon had to think twice. would it be a good idea to stay longer or maybe, this would be the best chance she'll have.

"shall i tell her about me and eunwoo?"

"i've always wanted to have a daughter that i could go shopping with. i only have eunwoo. he wouldn't like accompanying me to buy things." eunwoo's mother hugged haewon tight which made haewon nervous.

for an unknown reason, she felt seriously nervous.

she held haewon on her shoulders and smiled, "it's your day off. maybe you could do me a favor only for a day."

"eunwoo will be home tonight. he might as well join us for dinner.

"eunwoo?" upon hearing his name, she felt a slight headache.

"he will show up tonight? after all those days that i haven't heard anything from him?"

"his father will prepare food for all of us. you know he cooks better than me." and the two women laughed.

haewon pushed her lips together, forming a thin line to show her a faint smile.

***

they have finished buying bags, a few scarf for the fast approaching cold weather.

"this is for eunwoo." eunwoo's mother said as she slipped the royal blue colored scarf into a paper bag. "bloody red one for his father."

"bloody?" haewon repeated and the woman nodded as she chuckled.

"and this pink colored scarf, for you, sweetie." and she carefullg wrapped it around haewon's neck.

she stared at haewon before cupping her cheeks, "thank you for being a brave lady for eunwoo. you are beautiful and so is your heart. i don't know how exactly i could thank you for all the things you've done for eunwoo."

"what is she saying? she sounds like.. we won't ever meet again?"

"i know you've been enduring this since the day you moved to that house with him. i wanted to let you leave but... i thought you, staying with him, would actually wake him up from his fantasy."

"fantasy?" haewon asked and the woman nodded.

"he fantasized being with jinae when we all know jinae already has someone in her heart."

"jinae? you knew..."

"i know... i've been following my son all these years. i hated how he treated you. not directly rude. i know how much of a gentleman he is but... i didn't like how many times and how he made you feel he don't have any feelings for you. and that is my fault. i've forced the two of you into something you both didn't want."