27

narration

she put her keys down and changed her heels to comfy slippers. haewon's day was rough. she had a busy schedule. she had never imagined that working on a new editorial section starting on her own would be this difficult. so it was this hard for the pioneering group, as well.

"remember to go to bed early.
do not abuse your body.
always take care.
eunwoo."

she was keeping all the notes eunwoo has been leaving in her kitchen with the meal he had prepared.

eunwoo started preparing food for haewon since that day she had told him to leave, since that day she had told him that she has changed.

he has been preparing healthy foods for her. either chicken meat with vegetables or pork or beef with vegetables. he would always combine meat with vegetables. he would also be leaving a pack of milk and a juice beside the meal.

"when will he stop?" haewon asked as he removed the cover of the food.

"when will he get tired of this?"

she picked up the milk and juice and out them inside the refrigerator.

she counted those drinks he left but she didn't drink yet.

"he probably has seen them." she whispered, pertaining to the goods she has not yet consumed.

she began digging into her food when her phone rang.

"cha eunwoo is calling..."

his name appeared on the screen.

she didn't hesitate and answered the call.

"mom is in the hospital, can you please come?"

"what did you say? what happened?"

"i'll explain to you when you get here. sorry but i don't have anyone to company my dad and mom in the room as i work on this papers in the lobby."

"alright. i'll be right there".

"thanks, haewon! but... did you just get home?" eunwoo asked.

"yeah. how did you know?"

"i heard from your workmate that you are working on a new editorial section of your magazine. i'm sure you are working harder and staying up late in your office. finish your dinner first, then. take your time."

"no, you need my help so i'll come."

"thank you, haewon."

"no, i meant aunt needs me. who am i not to come?"

"ah... ah! okay. sure. she must be waiting. see you."

with a stern voice, eunwoo bid good bye before ending the call.

haewon felt nervous and got confused.

she was worried about eunwoo mom. she may not be that old to be sick but she knew his mom for so long. if she ever feels something wrong, she wouldn't tell anyone and just keep it to herself. haewon's worried she might have kept something big that she should have told her family about.

she quickly went to the hospital and looked for eunwoo's family. he mentioned about being in the lobby be she doubted he would still be there. he must already be done. but still, she went to check.

"only one guardian can stay here." she heard the nurse say.

eunwoo definitely looked disappointed upon hearing that. he wanted to stay, but his father does too.

"eunwoo." haewon called his name softly.

he looked at her. "oh, you're here." he uttered and his eyes went back to the papers. he has done writing every detail the hospital needs. now he is in dilemma on who has to stay: him or his father.

haewon watched him silently. he looked so serious. he already looked exhausted. "let's sit for a while." haewon said and assisted him going to the empty seats st the middle of the lobby.

she caressed his back and held his right hand as her fingers caressed his knuckles, trying to relax them.

then she lifted her hand, caressing now eunwoo's shoulder. eunwoo must have been awakened from his thoughts as he suddenly slowly dropped his head.

his shoulders began to shake. he rested his head on his palms, covering his face.

"you'll be fine. she'll be fine. your family is going to be okay, eunwoo."

"doesn't seem like it. my mom is sick and i never knew about it. nobody did. only herself and she kept it from everybody."

haewon took the paper from eunwoo's hands and put them inside her bag.

she pulled eunwoo closer and let him lean on her shoulders.

"you have to relax. but for now, i'll let you cry. cry it all out." as she believed, he'll be fine later if he let it all out of his heart.

eunwoo didn't mind the place, everyone around them, even haewon. he just cried his heavy heart out.

and she never knew, before she could realize - that was the first she has ever hugged him.