epilogue

the buzzer rang and so i stood up to pick up my food. i was holding my tray until i found you.

i quickly found my way back to the counter and asked the lady to pack my food-to-go.

"haewon??"

i heard you call my name. to my surprise, you still knew my name.

"what are you - oh! we were supposed to meet here."

and that girl beside you tugged your sleeve.

"sorry. i was in a class meeting. i forgot to tell you i'll be late." eunwoo said which didn't really matter to me anymore

"i'd be going home now."

"what? no. have dinner with us." he said but i insisted and left the café.

i can hear him calling my name repeatedly while his classmate tried to stop him.

why would he still call me for dinner when he knew i have been waiting for him and now he'll show up with another girl and tell me he forgot about us, meeting?

"haewon! i said stop for a while."

"what else do you need, eunwoo?"

"have dinner with us. it's already 11:06PM. i'm sure you haven't had your dinner yet."

"i'd rather have my dinner alone, than having it with you." i told him.

he looked surprised, obviously. he didn't know i could tell him such things.

"why are you suddenly acting like this?"

"no, eunwoo. stop being nice to me. that's more natural than you asking me out."

"hold on. you still don't believe my feelings are real? you still don't trust me?" eunwoo said. his voice changed. it was softer. he sounded, sad?

i snapped out of it so i won't get affected. i've been fooled by him several times and that should already be enough.

"why? why should i believe you now?"

"i told you i'm serious. i'll make it up to you."

"you're doing this because you lost jinae whom you've loved for a long time."

"do not ever mention her name! i'm over her and she must already be happy with seungcheol now."

"why? are you embarrassed? why? why are you embarrassed? you loved her for a long time. you did a lot of things just for her but still... she is still in love with the same person and that is not you!"

"shut up!"

should i be embarrassed now of how i act?

"i won't be the same as you, eunwoo. i'd stop being a martyr and i'm letting myself go."

"n-no haewon. haewon, please. no."

his voice started to tremble. his face looked so sad. his eyes slowly having tears on the edges.

"sorry. s-sorry."

"no, haewon. it should be me telling you that. but please, don't leave me."

"i know, eunwoo. you don't really love me. you're... you're just used to having me beside you, that's all."

"no. no. that's not true. i... i love you, i am sure. that's for sure."

"maybe... that can be true or you are still not sure. but, eunwoo."

he slowly went down on his knees with tears now falling down his cheeks.

"ha-haewon-n."

"please, eunwoo. i need to go and have freedom. free me now. i know you don't want this, either. you want to be free."

i pat his head, keeping his head low so he wont see me.

i know. i'm crying too.

i've been fooling myself.

my heart has moved on.

it was just me who was used to being beside him.

it was not love anymore.

it was just a habit to be near each other, that's all.

"you're still young and i know you'll see more and new faces. you can still meet your true destiny."

i tried to deny everything. i was too blinded seeing he was treating me differently lately. and because he had always pushed me away, i was longing for his love and attention. i was too foolish for staying who has always been rejected by him.

*****

and it's over...

my recent books would usually end this way. why? simply because life isn't always what we want it to be. you'd be lucky or be blessed if everything you want happens.

for this one. we've been hearing we shouldn't force ourselves into people's lives who don't want us to be there. you will just end hurting alone. haewon stayed long and has been a martyr for eunwoo. she should find her see her worth. but it doesn't always have to be like that. you can stay and see the end of it. so what should we do? should we stay or wait for the person to love us back?

😉

- lovingseoul ~