A Crown of War

The week after I killed Alexander became a haze of coronation, setting the Royal Pack in line and keeping an eye on Narin. True to his words after he recovered from our fight he took the role of beta and helped me get the back organized. Many of Alexander's followers were given the choice of submit to me or be turned rogue and be hunted down one by one. They realized I was more powerful even if my small five foot frame made it seem like I was weak. But many soon learned that I could beat them into submission if they chose to challenge me.

My true mate bond had yet to show and I felt like a lost pup wishing for true love. I knew Geminie's mom, Nianah the Moon Goddess, and Desmé the Goddess of Destiny had a plan with who I would be paired with but honestly I just wanted Albot. I hated that we woke up each morning to nothing. Zilch. Nadda. No spark or hint of a mate bond.

I knew I would not be able to hear the truth if he had a different mate. If we weren't each other's second chance. But it would happen in due time.

With a sigh I turn my attention back to the room, wolves who helped maintain order in my pack arguing over how we should proceed with the Rogue King. Since Alexander was killed no movement had been seen from him. It was as if the Rogue King vanished. But if he was anything like Alexander was then he would be waiting for the right time to strike.

"Queen Crystalline, we need to train the souldiers harder. If they become too lazy their performance the day the Rogue King attacks will lead to our deaths." Lester was one of the advisers that unfortunately for me I had no replacement for. I could still see the bruises from our fight when he challenged my authority still healing. I had made sure that he knew his place yesterday before I announced today's meeting. He was a weasel of a man and when I find a proper replacement he would be an ordinary member of the pack.

"The wolves train hard enough as is. We have pups as young as twelve training now for their own good with instructors for each age group. Every wolf knows the eminent threat and we have multiple packs on our side for the war." I reply with, my hand reaching under the table to hold onto Albot's leg. All day this meeting had been nothing but arguments. It was tiring and making my patients run thin. Narin sat to my right, his eyes scanning his copy paper work and schedules for the pack. A week ago we decided it would be a good idea to have wolves do mandatory training two days a week starting at the age of twelve. When the pups hit six-teen they had a chance to decided if they wanted to train as warriors and soldiers and work their way up the ranks to protect their pack or stick to the two days a week training.

Witches had come in yesterday to take a look at our borders, fixing the enchantments that kept the eyes of humans off of us as well as a few of their coven members made their way to our allies, reinforcing their boarders as well. I hated that the Rogue King has us playing the waiting game but it gave us time to prepare.

"Our focus right now should be about stocking the emergency shelters and making sure every wolf in the pack knows how to get to the three main entrances we agreed upon." Underneath the castle shelters had been built in case of war to protect the pack. Over the years it had barely been used. With the threat of war I decided now was the time to clean them out and have them ready. I needed my pack to be safe.

"What about the school. The pups under twelve need help with being protected. What do we do with them?" Leanna was the school's principle. She oversaw the education for all the pups from four to eight-teen years old. She was right though, those pups needed to be safe.

"One of the entrances to the shelters is just out side the schools. Have the teachers learn a drill that will have the pups in mandatory training help escort everyone out. Classes with the pups ages twelve to six-teen will help escort everyone to the shelter's entrance while the seven-teen and eight-teen year-olds can help fight. This way everyone knows what need to be done." I see many wolves nod in approval of the plan. Many of the wolves who choose to be soldiers and warriors always wanted to prove themselves and this way they could. It would help to protect the pack but also help the true warriors and soldiers out.

"Crystalline trouble." Blake comes barging into the room, a look of terror on his ways as he takes my hand and pulls me away from the table.

Everyone in the room follow behind us as we race from the conference room to the front of the castle, warriors and soldiers in wolf form growling at a sick wolf who slowly made his way towards the front doors.

Attacked to his head was a silver crown, one that burned his already rotting smelling skin and fur as he comes to stand at the foot of the steps.

"How cruel. He never chose to be a rogue nor a soulless." Alice's voice fills my ears and I turn to see the girl stare at the poor soulless. She was right. Many don't choose the soulless life but it happens.

"State your business." Narin commands, stepping down the stairs and in front of me.

The wolf growls slightly but drops a piece of paper before turning around and slowly walking away. Before he could make it five steps the wolf falters and falls to the ground. Everyone is silent as tension fills us until a warrior shifted and checks the soulless who passed, a sigh escaping his lips.

"Dead your majesty. The silver crown killed him." He says and I quickly rush towards the dead wolf, carefully removing the crown from him while barely breathing. How this wolf managed to make it here was hard to understand. This wolf was already on the verge of death but that bastard clearly sent him here to send a message to me.

"Find out who he is and send his ashes to his family. He never deserved this. If he has no family then spread his ashes with the rest of our pack in the flower bed." The warrior bows before setting to work on my orders. Narin holds the piece of paper for me to take. There could be many thing written in here but what I knew the most is that this paper will be burned before I allowed it anywhere inside my castle.

With a shaky breath I read the note. Dread filling my body.

Hello little sister,
Glad to see you lived so I can kill you myself. Can't wait to see you next week so be prepared.

Xoxo- your loving brother, the Rogue King