three

three
————
harry awoke to the pink light of dawn and the smell of flowers and dirt.

his eyes widened as he realized that he had fallen asleep in the greenhouse last night.

all he remembered before he fell asleep was a soft, smooth voice filling his head with hushed lullabies and muffled words.

draco.

he shuddered, disappointed in himself for being so careless as to fall asleep in front of him, to have been so vulnerable in the presence of his former enemy. but at the same time, he was grateful to have had a peaceful, dreamless sleep with only the help of draco's voice.

stepping out into the pale morning light, harry took a deep breath of sweet, sunlit air.

***

"honeysuckle," harry muttered to the fat lady.

she swung open, giving him a disproving look as he stepped through.

this hadn't been the first time she had met him in the early hours of the morning, just returning from a midnight excursion, and she felt that he shouldn't be roaming around in the dark.

the common room was mostly empty, only a few avid students studying in the early hours of the morning.

everyone in harry's dorm was still asleep, and ron's loud snores filled the sleepy silence.

harry sighed, jealous of his friends ability to sleep so soundly after the war, and headed to the bathroom for a warm shower.

as his eyes brushed over the mirror, he paused, noticing something he hadn't before.

a flower crown made of daisies.

draco must've placed it on his head before he'd left. for some reason, the thought made harry smile.

stepping into the shower, he let the water clear his mind, closing his eyes and breathing in the scent of his vanilla shampoo and chamomile body wash.

after he was dressed, he brushed his hair and applied a light dust of concealer he'd borrowed from hermione to cover up the bags under his eyes.

in a random act of spontaneity, harry grabbed the delicate flower crown and placed it carefully on top of his curls.

he emerged from the bathroom to see a normal morning in their dorm; neville at his desk reading a book, dean brushing seamus's hair, bubbling over in fits of giggles when seamus did a hilariously accurate impression of someone, and ron groggily mumbling a "hArRy get out of the bath...room..." before dozing off again.

"ron..." harry nudged him. "the bathroom's free..."

once he'd made sure ron wasn't going back to sleep, he grabbed a muggle book called A Tale of Magic before padding down the stairs to meet hermione.

she pulled him into a tight hug, fluffy hair tickling his neck. she smelled like books and ink.

"has ron slept in again?" she looked at the stairs, half expecting to see the redhead to lumber down the stairs in a sleepy haze.

nodding, he sat on a red armchair and let himself be absorbed by the amazing book he held. he only looked up when hermione cheerfully chirped, "good morning ron!"

"morning mione," he smiled lazily, pecking her on the cheek.

they walked out of the portrait hole, a tired harry following behind.

"you look tired," ron gazed at hermione. harry had noticed that too, though it wasn't anything new. she often looked tired these days, with her slumped shoulders and drawn figure, but it was a little more obvious today. bruise like splotches lined her skin, just beneath her lashes.

she only scoffed at him, a critical brow quirking in silent sarcasm.

"so do you."

"well yeah," ron hummed with a shrug. "i just woke up. but you have bags under your eyes."

"gee, thanks for noticing."

"it doesn't look bad or anything..."

"no, it's just a bit of unwanted under eye."

"look i'm just worried about you-"

"what, worried because your image would be ruined if your girlfriend arrived without makeup and looking like a troll? i didn't realize you cared so much about stereotypes and gender roles ron. does a girl have to look like a doll in order to be presentable? do we have to fit society's idea of pretty? don't be so sexist."

"...you're teasing me now."

hermione choked down a giggle. but they were both sporting soft smiles now. it was almost sickening.

"don't know what you're talking about."

"yes you do. and you're having fun with it. you're smiling."

"oh, so i'm not allowed to smile now either? i see how it is mr. ronald weasley-"

ron pressed his mouth to hers, briefly swallowing her words. when they parted, she stared at him blankly.

"wow, what a stereotypical way for a man to think, that a simple kiss will shut me up-"

"so you want me to stop kissing you?"

"i didn't say that..."

"oh, but i think you did granger. don't worry, i won't do anything you aren't comfortable with. i can even stop calling you sweetheart if that's what you-"

"there are people watching. shut. up."

"make me."

but they couldn't hold out any longer. they were too drunk on one another's affection, and dissolved into a fit of secretive giggles
that harry only wished he could understand.

a/n: surprise! double update.
(^^)