eight

eight
————
on this particular monday, all eighth year students were told to gather in the largest classroom in the castle, one that was most commonly used for exams.

surprisingly, it wasn't cramped, and all four houses were comfortably seated in small sections. only about 30 students returned for the 8th year, so there were a lot more joint classes.

harry was sat between neville and hermione on the front row, with ron on hermione's other side.

dean charmed a paper crane to glide across the room, different people shooting harmless spells at it, one goofy hufflepuff making it do a funny dance.

by the time the professor walked in, the crane was dancing, twirling, and singing, plus it had a bright purple goatee, spiky orange hair, and two human feet.

the new potions teacher (and head of slytherin house) was professor hart, a vivacious young woman with mocha skin and an ever-present smile.

she really brightened the whole aura around potions class; she cast a charm to make the classroom warmer, decorated it with fairy lights and origami animals, and even offered tutoring to struggling students instead of a scolding them for "wasting ingredients" and not being "gifted enough for the graceful art that is potion making".

now, everyone looked forward to potions class.

so when their professor danced into the room with a wide grin on her face, their smiles only grew, excited for what today's class would surprise them with. they watched her dramatically twirl around her desk before stopping in front of it, gently plucking the paper crane out of the air. she laughed at its strange features and reached up to fasten it into her dark curls.

"you'll never guess what we're doing today!" her forest green eyes twinkled mischievously. "the reason i have gathered all of you here today is..."

dramatic pause.

"...a project!"

they broke out into excited murmuring.

"and i," she added, smirking. "will be choosing your partners."

a few people groaned, but professor hart usually chose good partners, so they weren't too worried.

truthfully, she'd chosen the partners based on her ships, but they didn't have to know that.

"your assignment will be to create a potion. it can be used for anything, but you must get it approved by me first. it should be completely original, all your idea."

the students' faces brightened, lavender and parvati squealing happily.

"i'm going to announce your partners now, so listen carefully. i'm not going to waste my breath on repeating them."

"seamus finnigan...dean thomas."

she'd shipped them from the very beginning, and was ecstatic to find that they were already dating, and had been for years. and she couldn't bear to separate them.

the two boys grinned. they weren't sure what they'd do if they weren't together.

"neville longbottom...blaise zabini."

neither of them looked too fazed by the idea. in fact, harry had noticed that they'd been spending a lot of time together recently.

"pansy parkinson...hermione granger."

professor hart knew that romione was canon, but she shipped pansmione more and desperately needed them to at least be friends.

"harry potter...draco malfoy."

there it was. her otp. drarry. they were the epitome of the enemies to lovers trope that she absolutely loved.

harry and draco glanced at each other unsurely, smiling shyly when their eyes met.

"ron weasley...theodore nott.

vincent crabbe...millicent bulstrode.

lavender brown...parvati patil.

gregory goyle...terry boot.

hannah abbott...susan bones."

a/n: this one was boring but i have a lot of drama coming up! ;)
how do you guys like professor hart?