twenty nine

twenty nine
————

"it's a lovely day, don't you think?" hermione said, straining to make conversation with their new guests.

the guests in question gave her no reply, and instead looked incredulously at draco, who stared back sternly.

"i think tomorrow there's a chance of hail."

"oh my god, stop!" pansy groaned. "stop trying to make small talk, it's excruciating."

"pansy..." draco warned lowly.

"what? you can't possibly expect me to endure small talk. that's an utter waste of my time, and why would i spend my breath discussing the weather, as if any of us actually care."

"why do i even bother," draco drawled, lifting a disbelieving brow. "i can't take you anywhere."

pansy just stuck her tongue out at him, and harry watched, amused by the strange workings of draco's friend group.

"where are we going anyway?" she turned away from draco.

"gladrag's wizardwear." the blond answered to save anyone else from dealing with pansy's mood.

she hummed lowly, obviously biting back a retort about higher quality stores.

"harry needs more winter clothes, he often leaves with practically nothing on." hermione said, a bit hesitant to speak in case pansy shut her down again. "i'm surprised he hasn't freezed by now."

to everyone's surprise, pansy cracked a smile. "oh my god, potter does that too? i thought it was just this blond ferret over here!"

draco frowned, remembering the unpleasant sensation of being turned into a ferret and shoved down your friend's pants, and hermione beamed, happy to have finally found something to talk about.

"he refused to wear a coat this morning because he thought it made him look strange!"

harry winced at the reminder. pansy's face scrunched up in silent judgement.

"well that's just because he's skinny as a stick."

"that's what i told him!"

harry sighed, turning to look at draco, who was already looking at him. "why do we hang out with them?"

"because they have enough blackmail material on us to ruin our good name if we step out of line." he quipped with a roguish grin.

harry laughed softly, strangely warm despite the chill in the air. draco pressed closer, until they were pressed side to side, and the heat from their place of contact sent surges of warmth through harry's icy veins.

"seems weasley and blaise are getting along...somewhat." draco murmured, eyes glinting with amusement. harry followed his line of sight, and realized that blaise and ron had drifted towards each other, and seemed to be discussing wizards chess vehemently, though ron seemed to be avoiding blaise's intense gaze.

harry found himself slightly proud of ron for attempting to interact with him. he knew ron had grown up with the most prejudice towards slytherins, and had always hated draco and his group of friends far more than him or hermione. seeing him trying at conversation with blaise made him feel oddly grateful, happy that his friends were trying to understand his change of circumstances.

and draco watched harry's eyes glimmer with a fond smile on his lips.

they soon arrived at gladrag's wizardwear, and ron, hermione, blaise, and pansy headed inside straight away. harry went to follow them, but was stopped by draco's hand clutching his sleeve. he waited until he had harry's confused attention before leaning in to whisper in his ear.

"the jacket looks cute on you, by the way."

it was only a few simple words, a soft exhale of chocolate tinted breath against the shell of his ear, but it set his body on fire. goosebumps skittered across his skin, shivers riddled with heat wracking his form, and he felt his cheeks grow hot with bashfulness.

draco pulled away, smirking at the obvious hitch in harry's breath, and went inside, leaving harry in the snow, struggling to calm his pounding heart.

the trip to gladdrag's wizard wear was relatively quick. it was a nice little store, with a good selection of wizard and muggle clothes. pansy, blaise, and draco put their slytherin brains together and spent the entire time giving harry a makeover. at first, he stood flushed and awkward under their calculating gazes, but soon fell into familiar banter with draco.

nevertheless, the blond slytherin continued to tease him, determined to see how many times he could make harry's cheeks fill with a rosy blush. it was subtle, a gentle touch on his waist as he asked an employee to tailor it a bit, a gasp and a bright smile when he saw something he liked, a lip bite when he looked at the fit if harry's jeans.

and then the words. how he'd look him up and down and then say some sly compliment in that alluring voice of his.

it was too much, and harry was swooning at the affection.

by the time they were ready to check out, harry had accumulated an impressive pile of clothes that cost more than his entire wardrobe. he'd tried to put a few back, but how could he say no to draco when he was practically begging and saying, "oh but it looks so pretty on you harry!", all with an adorable pout?

that's right. he couldn't.

and so after some arguing, they split the bill and left to go to a few other shops.

consequently, trudging around in the snow with all of their bags started to wear them out, and they couldn't ignore the emptiness of their stomachs, so they headed to the three broomstick to eat.

a/n: OH MY GOD, HI!
it's been so long, and i'm so sorry. i hit a writing block for this story because the first few chapters are bad, but i'm determined to finish, and i finally got my motivation back.

so did you like it? i know they've been in hogsmeade for forever, but i wanted to progress their relationship a little more. draco's a flirt, huh?

also, i'm planning on doing a q&a at some point, so start thinking of questions. would you prefer it if i did it at the end of this book, or in a separate book? tell me in the comments so i know what to do!

if i stick to my plan, i will post another chapter tomorrow or the day after. so sorry for the delay! love you!
( *¯ ³¯*)