twenty eight

twenty eight
————

the trip to flourish and blott's was rather uneventful, and they were in and out in a few minutes. harry let draco tell him all about his favorite books, and harry introduced draco to a few muggle books like alice in wonderland.

they decided to go to the clothes shop next, which, unfortunately, was on the far side of hogsmeade.

after a few minutes of idle chatter while trudging through the snow, draco started to get whiny.

"my hands are cold," he complained, the beginnings of a pout forming on his lips. "i can barely feel my fingers."

the other boy opened his mouth, but before he could say anything, draco turned to him with a completely serious look.

"harry. if i get frostbite out here, promise me you'll collect my detached fingers and put them in my vault at gringotts."

harry gave him a disturbed look, raising one eyebrow judgmentally, though he couldn't hide the smile tugging at his lips.

"you are such a drama queen," he shoved the giggling blond's shoulder. "besides, it's winter in england and you went outside without gloves. what did you expect?"

draco pouted full out now. "i didn't have any that matched my outfit, and i didn't want to ruin the aesthetic."

harry rolled his eyes, but he couldn't hold back a smile. he gently took draco's cold hands into his own (safely incased in gloves, of course) and rubbed some feeling back into his chilled fingers, occasionally blowing hot air on them.

"better?" he asked after a minute.

draco nodded, and the blush on his cheeks was from more than just the cold.

hermione and ron watched, eyes blown wide with shock, as harry smiled and gave draco his gloves.

"why are you giving them to me?" the blond protested.

"you need them more than me. i'll take them back later."

draco huffed but didn't object. satisfied,
harry began to walk again.

a few minutes later, draco stopped suddenly, grabbing harry's arm for him to stop too. harry turned to him, confused, and found him staring suspiciously at a bush a few feet away.

"what is it?" harry asked, trying to see whatever it was the blond was seeing.

when he didn't answer, and only squinted harder at...whatever it was, ron spoke. "has he gone mad?"

no one answered him, and a second later, draco started walking towards the bush, letting out an annoyed puff of air.

"what's he doing?" hermione asked.

none of them knew the answer. harry started to walk forward to see what was going on. but before he got close enough, draco reached into the bushes, and pulled out...

pansy and blaise?

both had sheepish looks on their faces and omnioculars around their necks.

they started talking, but he was too far away to hear what they were saying to draco. the blond gave an answer, and began to drag them towards the golden trio by the scruff of their necks.

"i can't believe you two."

"draco, honestly," pansy scowled, twisting in draco's firm hold. "you can't blame us for not leaving you alone with the gryffindorks."

harry stifled a laugh in the palm of his hand as the trio grew closer, their petulant conversation reaching his ears.

"yeah," blaise agreed. "i know you and potter are all lovey-dovey now—" draco slapped the back of his head. "but we can't be sure about weasley and granger! this could have all been an elaborate trap!"

"exactly! you can't honestly expect us to just sit back and wait for you to get ambushed!"

"you're both stupid," draco hissed, finally coming to a stop in front of a giggling harry and his gaping best friends. "i can't have a moment of peace without your motherly worrying."

pansy practically bared her teeth at him. "don't act like you don't love the attention malfoy!"

draco glared at her, opening his mouth to spit back an insult. however, hermione interrupted him.

"hello pansy, blaise," she greeted cordially. pansy tore her gaze away from draco to glare at her, and harry had to admit, the girl was kind of terrifying. hermione didn't flinch. "it's nice to see you here."

pansy's lips curled in a sneer.

"lying doesn't suit you granger—"

draco slapped the back of her head. "shut up pansy."

blaise fluttered his coal lashes with a mocking air of sarcasm. "yes, shut up pansy."

"put a sock in it zabini. i'll murder you in cold blood."

"i'll murder you first git."

harry wondered if insulting each other was their way of expressing affection.

draco sighed tiredly, like a mother utterly exhausted by her hyperactive kids, and reluctantly released his two growling friends.

they stood with a dignity that harry wouldn't expect in someone who had just been dragged by their necks from the bushes, but he supposed it was a rich pure blood thing.

"i apologize for the inconvenience," draco began coolly. "but would you all mind if these two joined us? they seem to be a tad worried for me."

ron looked as though he were going to be physically ill, but didn't protest when hermione nodded her head.

"of course. the more the merrier."