four

four
————
the great hall was different after the war.

in some ways, they were more united.

the houses were friendlier than before, you could spot hufflepuffs at the slytherin table and gryffindors at the ravenclaws'. most students had friends in every house, and it was nice to see them laughing and playing together.

but on the other hand, they had become more divided.

the few slytherins with death eater parents who'd decided to come back for their 8th year had been rejected.

even if they'd fought on the right side in the war, no one cared. they sat at the end of the slytherin table farthest from the teachers, not daring to sit anywhere else. they sat with their heads low, barely speaking. most of them ate quickly and left immediately after. they seemed to shrink more and more with every glare sent their way, self-hatred shining in their eyes.

they suffered so much, but still they were silent.

they could scream to the world about how they weren't their parents, how they didn't hate non-purebloods, and they didn't want to insult people, but were forced to by a lifetime of teaching.

they could shout about how they felt so, so guilty, but they didn't know how to change what they had been taught all their lives. how they wanted to be friends. to be loved.

they wanted to. so much it hurt.

but they didn't.

because they knew.

they knew no one would care.

no matter how much they screamed, no one could ever see past what their parents had done. they couldn't tear away the dark lens hiding an aching, lonely soul who just wanted love.

because how could they, people who caused so much suffering and pain, ever deserve love?

how could they even begin to believe that was possible?

and so they continued, day after day, suffering in agonized silence.

a/n: sorry it's so angstyyy,,
( ' ' )