twenty

twenty
————

this morning was a rough one.

he'd conversed with myrtle into the early hours of the morning, and had only just fallen into a deep slumber when hermione arrived to wake him for breakfast.

however, when she saw the bags under his eyes and the obvious exhaustion clinging to his bones, she sighed and left him to sleep a while longer.

she was not so kind to her boyfriend though, and yanked him out of his warm bed mercilessly, hissing at him to be quiet because harry is sleeping and your whining will wake him up.

by the time harry was roused to consciousness by a dream– not a nightmare, just a completely normal dream–, both hermione and a fussy ron were dressed and ready to head to breakfast. they kindly waited for him to freshen up a bit before dragging him downstairs.

he was tired of course, and half heartedly munched on a satisfactory, hermione-approved amount of eggs. once he ate enough for his friend to stop glancing at him every few minutes to make sure he was eating, he plonked his head down on the table and prepared for a nap.

just before he could fall into the hazy area between consciousness and slumber, hermione spoke up.

"harry," her voice was gentle, motherly.

"hmm?" he hummed, sitting up and rubbing his eyes so he could pay full attention to her.

"we've noticed that you've...been spending a lot of time with malfoy lately..."

harry blinked. "we're...partners for the potions project..."

"how's that been going? he...he hasn't been mean to you has he?"

he shook his head, smiling drowsily with his eyes half closed. "no, no, he's- he's been great...beautiful eyes..."

ron nearly spat out his pumpkin juice. "sorry, what?" he blurted, sounding oddly sick.

"harry, are you okay?" hermione fretted, studying his swaying figure with wide eyes. "you sound mad..."

"what?" harry shook his head, trying to clear a bit of the heavy haze hanging over his thoughts. his lips were numb and drawling, and it seemed in his fatigue, he'd forgotten his filter. "no, sorry. i'm just tired. but no. no, draco is great—"

"draco?" ron spluttered. the color drained from his face. "you're on first name basis with that git?"

harry scratched the back of his neck, a light blush dusting his cheeks. "well, yeah. he's changed a lot, and...we're friends."

ron gaped at him. "pinch me, i must be dreaming."

hermione obliged.

when he opened his eyes and he didn't wake up in his bed, his face twisted into a pained expression and he hung his head in resignation. "welp, it was bound to happen at some point."

hermione nodded in agreement, and harry was just confused, looking between them for an explanation.

raising his eyebrows at harry's blatant puzzlement, ron elaborated. "you stalked him for years, harry. you never stopped talking about him–mostly about what he was plotting–but talked about him nonetheless. and sixth year, ugh, you were obsessed with him."