twenty one

twenty-one
————

hermione must have put some sort of charm on the coffee, because harry felt much more energetic by the time potions class came around.

and that was a good thing, because he had a few things to talk to draco about, and he wasn't sure he'd be coherent without the caffeine thrumming through his veins.

harry was a bit early, so he sat in his usual seat and conversed with neville while he waited for draco to arrive.

he abruptly stopped in the middle of a sentence when he saw the telltale flash of white blond in his peripheral vision, face lighting up when he saw the boy he was looking for.

draco walked in with pansy and blaise, reading a book while halfheartedly listening to his friends. harry watched him, completely forgetting about neville, as if in a trance.

his pretty grey eyes were trained intently on the page in front of him, and his lips were slightly pursed, a subconscious but dangerous action that made harry's heart flutter in his chest.

in the past, harry hadn't really taken the time to appreciate how...nice draco's lips were. they looked soft to the touch, glossy, and strangely alluring–

draco looked up.

harry snapped his eyes back up just in time to meet draco's gaze. he blushed, embarrassed at being caught staring.

when harry didn't look away, draco raised one eyebrow questioningly and his beautiful lips quirked into an almost smirk.

harry gulped, because merlin that did things to his heart, and smiled sheepishly at the blond boy.

their gazes locked, not breaking for a second until draco was right beside him, and had to take out his materials for class.

in this brief pause, harry willed his heart to stop beating so fast. he really needed to calm down. surely the red dusting his cheeks was painfully obvious, and it would be the cherry on top of the embarrassment pile if draco heard his thundering pulse.

a quick glance to his right told him that he wasn't the only one left pink cheeked after their exchange, and harry had to stifle a grin at the stark rosiness on draco's pale cheeks.

once the blond had everything that was necessary, he casually placed his chin on his palm and looked at harry again.

"good morning harry."

"hi draco," he hated how breathy and winded he sounded. he hated–but also loved–the flash of mischief in draco's eyes when he heard it.

harry cleared his throat quietly and opened his mouth to say something else.

professor hart cut him off by walking out of her office dramatically and starting her lesson.

he sighed inaudibly. looks like his questions would have to wait.

***

a lot of the students were in the testing stage, so professor hart assigned them all special laboratory rooms with all of the materials needed.