nine

nine
————
after professor hart had finished rattling off all of the assigned partners, she gave them a few moments to converse and discuss with their group. harry left hermione and ron with a soft wave and followed draco's unmistakable head of white blonde hair and beckoning eyes.

he settled beside him with an inaudible huff and turned to meet his steady gaze.

"um..." harry trailed, a slight edge of shy uncertainty seeking into his soft tone. "so...um...hi."

"christ potter," draco sighed, raising his eyes. a smirk tugged at the corners of his pink lips, and for a moment, harry felt quite embarrassed. "you're so awkward. you act like we haven't talked before."

"no, i..." harry nipped at his bottom lip, unsure. there was a hint of teasing to draco's voice that he had ,without realizing, dearly missed. "well...i just don't know what to say...i guess."

draco laughed, something quiet and gentle, without a trace of mockery. harry startled at the sound.

"you're hopeless."

"sorry."

"no need to apologize," draco waved away his words. "let's talk about this project. making our own potions. sounds fun."

harry nodded, scrunching his nose a little. he agreed with a subtle smile. "sounds fun."

"so...we're gonna need to do some research..." he hummed, silver eyes gleaming with thought. "we should meet up at the library. we can go through potion books and magical limits...you know, just to see what our options are. ooh, blaise has some special ingredients at the dorm that he collected at the end of the summer. it's the kind professor hart won't have in her supply closet. comes from the woods outside his house and it only grows at certain times. i'll ask him if we can use some for our potions."

harry giggled, amused by draco's blatant excitement over their assignment.

"you really like potions, huh draco?"

draco blushed a little, bashful, but his eagerness didn't waver. "yup! trust me mr. harry potter, i'll get us outstandings on this!"

-

they'd agreed to meet in the library after lunch when they both had a free period.

so, when the time came, harry parted from his two sympathetic friends and walked to the library, humming softly under his breath.

when he arrived, he started to head towards a table before stopping to ponder if draco would want to sit there.

after a few indecisive seconds of furrowed eyebrows and lip biting, harry decided that he would simply wait on a bench outside for the blond to arrive.

it only took a few minutes for him to show up, but in those minutes, the thought occurred to him that draco could already be inside waiting for him, and he almost ran back into the library to search every corner for the pale boy. that thought, however, was quickly shut down when he realized that draco had still been in the great hall finishing lunch when harry left, so there was no way he could have gotten there before harry.

after coming to this conclusion, he finally relaxed and read a book.

...that he couldn't focus on at all, because his mind was too busy coming up with fantasies of everything that could go wrong.

"merlin potter, you can't even pick a table without me?"

harry jumped, startled at the suddenness of draco's presence. the blond's eyes twinkled playfully, expression hovering between his usual cocky smirk and an actual smile.

harry flushed. "i can, i just...i didn't...i-"

"whatever," draco rolled his eyes jokingly, pushing through the library doors with the embarrassed boy behind him.

draco was carrying a bag that harry had never seen before, but they did come there to work on a project, so he assumed that it was full of potions ingredients and the like.

so when draco placed it on the table in front of him, a hint of pink on his cheeks, harry could only look up at him with a confused look on his face.

"you're practically a twig harry, and you didn't eat anything for lunch." draco explained. "i brought you some food, but be careful. we aren't supposed to eat in here."

harry blinked.

"this is an important project. i can't have you fainting."

"uh...thanks," harry breathed, reaching to open the bag.

"i'll go and get some books to use," he muttered under his breath.

draco disappeared into the shelves of books, leaving a dumbstruck harry sitting at the table.

a/n: christmas break has arrived!!!
i'm going to try to write everyday, and there might be another update coming later today.
i hope you all have a lovely holiday and i hope you're feeling festive!
what do you think is gonna happen next? what do you want to happen next?
i have a lot of stuff planned and i'm so excited to write it!!
(* >ω<)