twelve

twelve
————
"have you eaten today harry?"

harry shook his head, confirming his suspicions.

the blond boy took a second to ponder the fastest way to get to the kitchens.

asking dobby to apparate them there might agitate harry even more, but walking would take far too long.

he needed to get food into harry's stomach as fast as possible, and there was only one way to do that.

"dobby!" he called, making the decision.

the elf appeared out of thin air. "master draco, master harry!"

"we need to get to the kitchens as fast as possible. can you apparate us there?" he didn't even bother telling dobby that 'draco' was fine.

"of course," he snapped his fingers.

after the signature whirlwind sensation of apparating, they arrived in the kitchens. house elves were bustling about, already preparing lunch.

as soon as they saw harry collapse into the nearest seat, he had a plate of toast and pumpkin juice in front of him.

once he was sure harry was eating, draco politely asked for a small meal of sandwiches, pudding, and treacle tarts for the two of them.

with a long sigh, he took a seat beside the unusually pale boy, eying him in concern as he slowly devoured his food with shaking hands.

"harry."

"ye...yes...?"

"you need to take better care of yourself. you...you're going to get sick if you go on like this."

"i...well it was only just this once-"

draco shook his head vehemently, cutting him off with narrowed eyes and a frowning mouth.

"i don't believe you."

harry bit at his bottom lip weakly, looking away from draco's intense stare.

"and look at you..." draco's tone turned impossibly soft. "i refrain from saying it too much, but you're so thin. and in there, you looked like you were gonna faint."

worry clouded his soft features in dark clouds of distress. the concern on his face was so unfamiliar, and so gentle. and harry wondered how it could be that he made draco look so heartbroken.

"draco...i'm okay...really."

he looked as though he didn't believe him.

"mm. how are you feeling now? and don't lie to me."

"i...well i guess a little naseous..."

"a little?"

"okay, a lot...and tired. m' really tired. i don't feel good." harry's voice cracked and slurred with emotion. he sounded vulnerable, and just a little afraid. the sorrow and pain seeped from his every word.

"oh harry..."

draco's eyes dimmed, and harry seemed to realize something in the face of his blatant distress. his dark brows knotted and his lips fumbled in their panicked attempt to spit out his anxious thoughts.

"i promise i won't let it affect the project though! i know how important grades are to you, especially potions...i won't ruin it."

"oh my god, harry. relax. and what do you mean ruin it? do you think i'm upset because of that?"

harry flushed with embarassment under draco's incredulous stare.

"well...well you're worried about the project right?"

"harry, i'm worried about you."

"...oh..." he breathed, pale face dusted a light pink.

the dark-haired boy opened his mouth to say something else, but a sudden wave of nausea and exhaustion overtook him, forcing a groan from his lips instead.

"oh god...harry potter you're a right mess. here, lay down."

draco helped harry lay down on the bench, using his bag as a pillow, and gently rubbed his back.

"there you go. christ."

soon, dobby came to their table with all the food that draco asked for, plus some water.  harry slowly sat up, beginning to eat. draco watched him with a smile, glad that he was eating well, before eating his own food.

once they were done, draco gently pushed harry's head onto his shoulder, touch feather light against the boy's dark curls.

"draco-"

"just rest for a bit harry. just for a bit."

"mm...okay. thank you."

-

when draco saw the time approaching the end of potions class, he delicately lifted the sleeping boy and frowned at how light he was.

i'll have to fix that. he thought, stepping out of the kitchens with harry in his arms.

"d..draco.." harry mumbled drowsily, still half asleep.

"i'm just taking you to gryffindor tower. you can go back to sleep."

harry, too tired to argue, let himself fall into sleep's waiting arms once more.

a/n: (╹◡╹๑)