IV

AFTER SO MUCH PAIN, NOT ONLY HER BODY WENT NUMB, BUT ALSO HER MIND DID. She limited herself to stare at the ceiling, focusing so hard on it that, at one point, she didn't feel anything anymore. And, when he left, she did not move in the slightest inch; her gaze would still be fixed on the ceiling.

"Do not forget it, [name]." He stopped before closing the door, but she did not flinch in the slightest bit. "You're mine, and mine only."

She did not even blink. Not even when he stared at her, and not even when that mocking, disgusting smile creeped up to his lips.

"I'll be seeing you at the wedding."

However, once the door closed, she could no longer hold it. He was a monster.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later -a day before the wedding took place- [name] still could not bring herself to come out from her room. No matter how untidy it was, she wouldn't let any maid come in if it wasn't Tarte.

After such brutal beating, the silver haired woman was in a coma -Owing to her mother, she secretly managed to put Tarte under the finest healthcare money could afford, without her father knowing about it. As a matter of fact, Bradley Lothrian III was nowhere near as sensitive as Dorotski; he thought of his servants (no matter if this one was the one who had practically raised his firstborn) as lowlifes, therefore not deserving any type of care.

"Tarte will be fine. It's going to be our little secret." Dorotski tucked a silky brunette lock behind the young girl's ear. "Your father doesn't have to know. Alright, [name]?"

While wiping her tears, the girl nodded, embracing her mother.

She was now lying on her bed, staring at the ceiling, her mind was blank. She was anywhere but in her room. Remorse welled up in her heart, and the pain was greater than the painful bruises and hit marks that covered her body; The thought of not being able to look at Tarte in the eye was far more haunting than the thought of having to marry the Prince of Danelaw.

After what it seemed like a good while, she decided to get up and open her locked-up drawer, which contained her studies. She read them over and over, memorising every single word.

Then, she decided to take a warm shower, scrubbing her body until her skin was raw. No matter how much she washed her body, she felt like the dirt would just not leave her body.

Then, she took off her bathrobe and stared at herself in her boudoir's mirror, hating the weak and fragile woman that stared back at her. Her arms had Kurono Kishi's hands imprinted on it, the carmine colour of her broken capillaries had adopted its pattern. Her slim upper thighs were no longer their usual colour, but black and blue instead. Y/N placed a finger upon one of the bruises, exerting an inhumanly painful pressure on it. The pain that struck her made her wince, but that way she confirmed that she could still feel something.

I am not going to cry. She thought, although her eyes betrayed her.

Wiping her tears with the sleeve of her robe, she took a small container and opened it, the smell of herbs and medicine invaded her nostrils. She then smeared the medical ointment in all the parts of her body where the bruises were. She knew this wasn't magic. Maybe the marks would disappear; however, the pain would not leave.

A light blue dress was what she wore; light blue like the colour of freedom. Its sleeves were long, good to cover her lesions. She slipped into a pair of white boots and a coat, and she was ready.

Ready to start a new life, ready to be free. She wouldn't let a man hurt her like the prince had done anymore.

Should she gather some things? Would that be alright? She despised the old [name], and she wanted no connections with her, nor with her family, nor with nobility. She was now just [name], not Bradley [Name].

She adjusted the hood of her coat and took a last glance of her room. It no longer felt like home.

That's it. I might as well get out of this hell.

[Name] climbed out of one of the windows that adjoined the coast. Hopefully, no one had spotted her, since it was already dark and the moon wasn't yet at its highest point, so its light didn't bathe all the castle, making it more difficult for guards to see her.

When she jumped out of the castle, she fell with a thud, but not loud enough since she fell on the sand. Getting up and adjusting her dress and hair, she ran. She ran as if her legs didn't hurt, as if someone would be chasing her. She ran and never looked back.

At a point, she stopped to catch her breath, she felt exhausted. Once she regained her composure, she looked up, and that was when she saw a strange looking ship, whose bow had a huge... dinosaur's skull?

What a weird ship.

I need to be careful.

Once she had jumped onboard, she took her boots off and ran as quickly as she could, being careful not to trip or cause any unwanted noise.

Luckily, she then found a little door that led to a supplies room: it wasn't that big yet it wasn't that small. There was enough space for her to hide, behind some barrels and under a staircase.

Sitting down in that nook, eventually she fell asleep and, for the first time -even though this was unknown territory- she felt at ease.