Chapter one

"The mage singlehandedly defeated the demon and saved all of humanity. He became known as the wizard king, and his story became legend" Asuna closed the book and looked down at Horo who was seated in her lap comfortably. "Read it again!" Aruru shouted from her place beside Asuna. "I would but I need to get started on my chores." Asuna turned to the door as she heard a bang come from outside. "And it sounds like Asta needs help." Asuna held Horo while Aruru followed beside her. Asuna always loved how the youngest seemed to always stick with her. 

"Asuna!" Asta yelled as soon as he caught sight of the girl. "Quiet, Asta, I think all of Hage can hear you." 

Asta began running towards Asuna probably to pull her into a hug but a gust of wind stopped him in his tracks and made him fall to the ground. Asuna smiled as she saw Yuno standing there, the other children of Hage standing near him. Asuna set Aruru down and both of the kids left her side to be with Yuno. 

As Asta and Yuno started their usually bickering Asuna walked over to Sister Lily, offering her help. "Thank you, Asuna."

"Of course. I'm sorry about Asta." 

"You take so much responsibility for all of the children. I don't know what we'll do once you're gone." Asuna wished that she could stay in Hage but she had dreams and she couldn't accomplish them from her small village. "That's months away, Sister. And besides," Asuna glanced over to all the kids. Yuno calm as ever. Nash edging Asta on. Asta yelling. Horo watching in amazement as the older kids used their magic, "Once the three of us leave I'm sure it'll calm down."

Asta ran over to the wood to chop it but Yuno beat him to it, chopping it with one flick of his hand. Then Father swung the door open and hit Asta in the head. "Yuno and Asuna are the hope of this church" Asuna held her head low in embarrassment. She had high levels of magic and great control, even without a grimoire she was powerful. But she never liked to use her magic in front of Asta. If she had to, of course, she would but she never depended on her magic. 

"I'll become the Wizard King and fix up this ugly, shabby church. Isn't that right, Yuno?" Asta held a fist out to Yuno. Yuno simply glanced at him before walking away. Asuna kept it to herself that she wanted to be the wizard queen. She didn't need another rivalry to start. "Just you wait, damn it!" Asta began to run off and without a second thought, Asuna started to follow him. 

This had become a normal thing for the two 15-year-olds. Asta would run off to the demon bones and Asuna would follow behind him. Once she got there she would ask him many times to come back home but not once did he listen. So recently, Asuna stopped trying and instead she just kept him company. Yuno's strength came to him so naturally, while Asta worked hard for his strength. Asuna respected him for it so she figured the least she could do was keep him company while he worked hard. "1,000!" Asta jumped up from his handstand push up and chugged his drink. He then threw it up to Asuna who was resting comfortably in a tree, watching as the sunset. Asuna caught the drink and jumped down from her branch. She closed her eyes, plugged her nose and chugged the rest of the drink. 

"Fight me, Asuna!" Asta yelled as he punched the air with excitment. "Another time, Asta. It's getting late, we should head back." 

"No way I'm just getting started." Asta paused from his punching and turned to Asuna. "How come you never use your magic, Asuna." She shrugged, knowing he would be angry if he knew the real reason. "I'm about to use it to carry you home if you don't start walking soon." Asta fell to the ground, exhausted. "Can you?" Asuna sighed before using her magic to lift Asta off the ground. She sat beside him on the chariot of air she had created and took them both home.