chapter thirteen

Asuna woke up feeling refreshed

Asuna woke up feeling refreshed. After finding out today was the Black Bulls day off, Asuna quickly went back to sleep toCatching up on some much needed rest. Asta was headed to a small village to meet up with a new friend. He invited his sister, but the girl quickly declined knowing she needed sleep and had things she needed to do. Another reason for her declination was her need to take a break from her enerjetic brother. They had been together everyday for fifteen years, after all. Of course, Asuna still deeply loved her brother but she needed a break and she couldn't follow him everywhere. If Asta, or Yuno, became the Wizard King Asuna refused to be left in their shadow. Which is why once she woke up she jumped out of bed and headed directly to the woods to train.

Though right as Asuna stepped outside she got a feeling deep in her stomach that told her to worry about her brother. She knew it was illogical. Asta was just going to some village similar to Hage, what's the worst that could happen?

When Asuna thought that, she couldn't stop her mind from wandering to that day all those years ago when Yuno went out by himself. Asuna had the same feeling she does now and she hated it.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

"Asta...where are you going? It's snowing, you'll get sick" Asuna muttered tiredly. The young girl had just woken up from a nap because of a feeling. A feeling that something bad was happening to someone she loves. "Yuno still isn't back. I'm going to look for him. Wanna come with me?" Asuna rocked back and forth nervously. "But it's snowing and it's dark outside." Asta smiled at his sister and placed a hand on her head. "It's okay. I know how much you hate the darkness and the snow. I'll be back with Yuno, k?" Asuna nodded weekly before glancing around the room and grabbing a two scarves and jackets. "Here. Be safe Asta"

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

Asuna scoffed in annoyance with her younger self. Asuna couldn't help but feel guilty. She remembers her brothers coming home, bruised and bloody and tears filling her eyes at the sight. Asuna remembers crying and blaming herself, because maybe if she hadn't been so scared and went with them her brothers wouldn't have been that injured.

"It was because you gave us stuff to keep warm that we're not sick. So stop crying, Asuna. You may not have been there but you still helped us" A young Yuno told her.

Asuna smiled as she remembered that day. The day she vowed to always protect the people she cares about. No matter what. No matter what pain it may cause her. No matter how much it scares her. Because Asuna never wanted to have that feeling of not being able to help those she loves again.

"Asuna, what's wrong?" Asuna's attention snapped up to her slyph. "I'm just worried about Asta." She mumbled. "After you train we can go check on him. You need to learn how to use that spell you got from the dungeon." Asuna nodded and let her grimoire flip to the page containing the new spell. It took too much mana and time to prepare for her to use it during the invasion. But it was too powerful for Asuna to never use. So she knew she'd have to train.

"Right"

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

Asuna sat on the roof of the hospital Asta was currently being healed at. According to Noelle he's been a sleep for a full day, despite the healing spells Mimosa had been using.

Asuna sat with her knees pulled into her chest and her head resting on her knees. "What are you doing on the roof?" Asuna didn't move, even when she felt the person sit beside her. "Asuna" She took a deep breath before lifting her head and looking in front of her, refusing to meet Yuno's eyes.

"It's just like that time when we were kids." Asuna mumbled, her voice very audible to Yuno. "No matter what I do, I can't save you two. When you two got beat up that time as kids, I could've went with you. I had a feeling telling me to. But I was selfish and scared of the dark, so I stayed home and let you both get hurt. I got the feeling again today. But I ignored it and I trained instead. I was selfish again. I couldn't save Asta, again. He could've died and all I cared about was getting stronger."

"Asta's tough. He won't die that eas-"

"But what if he does." Asuna whipped her head over to Yuno to see him already looking at her with the same look he had that day when they were kids. "What happens when the enemy is too strong for Asta? And I'm not there to save him? That day, because of Asta you swore to stop crying. And you did. I promised myself-" Asuna's voice cut off with a crack as a tear fell. "I promised myself I'd always protect the people I care about no matter what. Now Asta's gotten kidnappened and injured because I wasn't there to protect him! I just want to keep you guys safe."

"I know you wanna protect us. But we don't need protecting anymore. The three of us are Magic Knights. We're strong. We don't need our sister to protect us. When the day does come that the enemy is too strong for Asta, or me, I know you'll be there."

Asuna couldn't help the smile that rose to her lips. "That's the first time you've referred to me as your sister, Yuno." Asuna paused as her smile faded. "I get it. You two are strong now. Much stronger then you were all those years ago. But I still want to protect you. And I never have. Not once"

"You have saved us, Asuna. More times then you know." Asuna sighed as she turned to her brother. She knew Yuno wouldn't explain how she saved them. She knew he was probably all out of comforting words. And she was okay with that, because this was something she had to figure out on her own.

"Thanks, Yuno" Asuna did her best to wipe the few stray tears before smiling at Yuno. "Let's go check on, Asta"

"Your recovery magic really helped. Thank you!" Asuna threw the door open at the sound of Asta's voice. As soon as she saw him she pulled him into a tight hug. "You're never going anywhere without me again" Asuna scolded. "I thought you said we had to be-"

"I don't care what I said. Everytime I leave you alone you get hurt. So no more missions without me."

"Got it."

Asuna held Asta for another few seconds, just to convince herself that he was okay. "I'm glad you're okay, Asta" Asuna let go of her brother and fell in line with the others in the room.

"Everything okay?" Asuna turned to look at Freya Lupton. The purple haired girl that had gone closer to Yuno. Maybe she had to do with why Yuno seemed to be talking and smiling a lot more. Asuna couldn't think of a time Yuno had ever comforted her with words before now. Maybe she is more then what meets the eye. "Yeah, I'm good! I was just worried. Thank you, Freya." Freya frowned, clearly not believing the girls words but not saying anything else.

────── {.author's note .} ──────

this book was previously titled, The Mystery Girl, for those that don't know!!

thank you so much for reading! please leave your thoughts in the comments!