chapter six

Asuna sat on the couch beside Vanessa listening quietly as everyone suggested names for the bird they picked up from their latest mission. Yami tried to send Asuna with the group but after all the complaining she did, he let her stay. In exchange, she had to do Asta's chores for a week, but she didn't mind. A mission to a village just as irrelevant as Hage didn't interest her in the least. "No, wine" Asuna thought for a moment before perking up. "I vote we name him Happy because-" Asuna pushed the fairy-like creature away slightly. "What about Kuro?" 

"How about we name him Nero? I think he likes it! It means black, cool huh?" 

"Kuro means the same thing and it's cooler." Asuna huffed, as she sat back in her seat. "Sucks having your idea shut down, doesn't it" Happy commented as he took his seat on Asuna's shoulder. 

Everyone turned as a portal opened and Yami stepped out. "Pay attention everyone, here's what's going on. I was called in 'cause they discovered a new dungeon." 

"A new dungeon, seriously? You mean it, Yami sir?" 

"Wow, that's awesome what's a dungeon!" 

"Listen up, dungeon's 101. Dungeons are like tombs where people from way back stored their most valuable stuff. Sometimes they've got crazy magical techniques or sweet magic items inside. What I'm saying is, dungeons totally rock!" 

"One thing though, they kinda try to kill you." Asuna turned to Happy as everyone explained the mission. "What's up with you, you look excited?" Happy turned to her, his eyes sparkling. "One of my previous owners placed something cool in one a dungeon! I'm not really sure if it's this one though" 

"You're memories that bad?" 

"Whenever my previous owner dies, I lose all my memories of them. A few stay though so I kinda remember a few things. Like a crazy powerful weapon that you can use! You have to go Asuna!" The girl scoffed as she rolled her eyes. "Yeah no way" 

"Kid, you gotta go." Asuna turned to Yami, forcing herself not to complain just yet. "And why is that?" 

"The Wizard King requested you," Yami turned to Asta, "You too". Asta started to freak out while Asuna was only confused. At the entrance exam, people were amazed by her grimoire but she wasn't as special as Asta. Asta had no magic, while Asuna had two. Asuna knew having two magic abilities was rare but nowhere near as rare as having no magic. If the Wizard King himself requested her and a special weapon might be waiting for her, Asuna figured she could force herself to go on this mission. 

Asuna's eyes widened in surprise as she stepped into the dungeon. Maybe this won't be as bad as she expected. The amount of mana in the air seemed to be overwhelming. "Why, why me?" Asta slammed his fist down which activated a trap spell. He pulled out his sword and sliced it in half. "Be careful, Asta!" Asuna shouted at her brother. "Oh, sorry" 

"Take a look at this Asta!" Luck called. "Huh, I don't see anything" Luck pushed Asta, making him activate another trap spell which he quickly cut. "Luck, do something like that again, and this dungeon won't be the only thing trying to kill you," her face was deadly serious though she soon replaced it with a smile, "okay?" 

The four of them (five if you want to count Happy) spent the next few minutes by Luck activating a trap and Asta having to cut it with his sword. Luckily, Asta was never in any danger himself like before so Asuna didn't find the need to fight him. Though of course, Luck challenged Asta to a fight after seeing the sword in action a few times. 

"Now let's see what we have. Asuna." She nodded and moved to stand beside Luck. She closed her eyes, sensing for mana. She opened her eyes when she felt the powerful mana of another person. "Luck wait-" But he wasn't listening and was already headed towards the powerful mana. Asuna was about to chase after him until she heard Asta and Noelle. 

Asta, the one with no mana. And Noelle, who can barely control her own powerful mana. Asuna swiped a hand through her hair. "Gosh, this is a drag. We're not alone here. Luck can take of those guys. So let's just explore the dungeon like we were told, k?" Asta tightened his grip on his sword in determination. "Right!" 

"Captain Yami tells him to look after the newbies, then he leaves us first chance he gets? What a jerk." 

"It's okay, we've got nothing to worry about. Whatever traps are in this place, my sword will slice through them. Easy." 

"It must be nice, being a simple-minded optimist." 

"Taking on a dungeon like this is nothing. And do you know why, because I'm gonna become the wizard king" 

"Yeah unless Yuno beats you to it," Asuna said in a sing-song voice. "Yuno?" 

"Oh yeah, haven't we mentioned him before? He's an old friend-" 

"More like our brother" 

"We all grew up together in Hage village. We all took the magic knights entrance exam this year. The Black Bulls got us," 

"And the golden dawn got Yuno. I could've gone to the Blue Rose or Azure Deers but Black Bulls seemed like more fun" Asuna finished for her brother. "That's pretty amazing. They took a commoner? That's rare or maybe unheard of. "Yeah, Yuno's pretty amazing alright. But he isn't going to beat me. Not a chance. C'mon let's go" Asta and Asuna started walking but stopped when they noticed Noelle wasn't following. "What's up, something wrong?" Asta asked, picking his nose. Asuna smacked his hand away from it. "Asta that's gross. Noelle, you okay?" Noelle flicked her hair over her shoulder before walking down the steps. "Of course. Well, hurry." 

Noelle jumped down, directly onto a trap. Vines wrapped around her and a plant creature sprung out of the water. The vines pulled Noelle closer to the plant until Asta cut her free. "Quick Noelle, get away!" Before any of them could do anything, they all got trapped by vines and started to be moved closer to the plant. Asuna was about to do something until she felt familiar mana. A smirk spread across her lips. "Don't worry guys, we're gonna be fine" 

Her smirk only grew as swords of wind took the monster down and the three of them fell to the ground. Asuna and Noelle landing gracefully and Asta landing on his butt. "Who's spell was that?" 

"Don't worry, it's just my brother." Asuna commented, now smiling. "And with that, my debt is paid, Asta" 

"Hey, Yuno." 

"So you're just gonna forget about your sister. So rude, Yuno" 

"Hey, Asuna"