chapter three

MAGIC KNIGHTS ENTRANCE EXAM

Asuna was pretty sure she aced all of the tests. She flew on her broom with ease. She even managed to fly to Yuno's side, both of them standing on their brooms. The magic-power control test? She hit every target she saw. She created a copy of herself for the magic creation test. And she passed the magic evolution test with flying colors. Yuno was having the same luck with all the tests while Asta didn't succeed in a single one. But next was the combat test, and Asuna was sure Asta would do great. She wasn't surprised when he offered to go first. She was more excited to see him fight for the first time. "No holding back, let's do this, Asta! Bronze creation magic: Sekke Magnum cannonball!" 

The spell was good for both offense and defense, but Asuna knew Asta would find a way to take him down. 

In the blink of an eye, Asta had pulled out his sword and delivered a devastating blow to Sekke. "Unlike you, Sekke, I'm not joining the magic knights just so I can slack off and have a little fun. I've got a much bigger goal, I'm going to become the wizard king!" 

"Yeah, Asta!" Asuna screamed, ignoring the glances sent her way and the mummers about Asta. Asuna walked over to Yuno with a smile. "So, you proud of your rival?"

"Shouldn't you be focusing on your match?" Asuna scoffed and glanced down at Happy, who was taking a nap in the front of her shirt. "I don't even have an opponent yet. But I'll be fine." 

"Hey, you! Would you like to fight me? I'm Freddi Moonstone from the Moonstone household, so it's not like you'll win" Asuna smiled at the girl. "Yeah, sure. Wanna go now?" Freddi scoffed, already walking onto the battle area. "Of course. I can beat you anytime." 

They stood facing each other, Asuna rested her hands in her pockets. A bored expression on her face. "Hey, Happy. Get up" The fairy-like creature stirred but stayed in his spot. "Do you even need me?" Asuna squinted her eyes at the girl. She could see her mana in the air. It was a lot, so Asuna decided to change that. "Nah, I got this" 

"Ready, begin!" A blast of fire came shooting at Asuna, but she quickly dodged it. "Sky-mana magic: mana drainage." Asuna watched as most of her mana disappeared into the sky. Freddi fell the ground, feeling weak from having some of her mana drained. Asuna's grimoire floated beside her, catching the eye of a few spectators. 

"Is that-?" 

"No way." 

"That's the Golden Mage's grimoire!" Asuna looked up towards the person that spoke. It was the captain of the Black Bulls, Yami. The other captains gasped as they stared at the grimoire. "There's no way. Look at the cloud on the cover. The Golden Mage only had a four-leaf clover on hers." Nozel spoke. "But there's never been another mage that uses mana magic" Asuna had heard stories of the Golden Mage. The said her hair and her grimoire glowed gold when she used her magic. Her magic let her control mana, and she was the second most powerful mage in the kingdom. Which is why Julius Novachrono decided to marry her. However, she died nearly fifteen years ago. A blast of fire snapped Asuna out of her thoughts as she dodged it. 

"I chose you because you seemed powerful, and by taking you down, I'd look better, and everyone would pay attention to me! Everyone's talking about your stupid grimoire, and it's making me look bad, so take your hands out of your pocket and fight me!" 

Asuna shrugged, "If you say so." She took her hands out of her pocket. "Happy wake up, I need you" Happy, knowing precisely what Asuna wanted, transformed into a sword. It was his special ability. The sword landed in Asuna's hand and she smiled. "Mana magic: mana restraint." The mana in the air wrapped around Freddi's limbs, holding her there. Asuna walked up to her and swung the sword so that it was inches from Freddi's face. "I don't want to hurt you, but I will. So surrender." Freddi hung her head low in defeat. "I surrender."

"Explain your magic, kid" Asuna had been offered a spot in the Blue Rose, Azure Deer, and Black Bulls

"Explain your magic, kid" Asuna had been offered a spot in the Blue Rose, Azure Deer, and Black Bulls. Ultimately she chose the Black Bulls. Not because Asta was going to that squad too, but because she knew how rowdy they were and after growing up in the church she needed to be around a loud group. "I'm not too sure of it myself. I use sky magic but since the sky has mana in it I'm able to control mana too. About half of my grimoire is sky magic and half is mana magic. I only have one sky-mana spell. Oh, and to regain my mana I have to eat air." Asuna held out the small container of air that rested around her neck. Yami looked at her confused. But soon let out a loud laugh. "You two are pretty strange. So, you're parents' nobles?" 

"No idea. I was left at a church when I was young but I'm told I was in noble clothing so it's possible." Yami stared at her for a second as if he was thinking. "By the way, why'd you pick me to be in the Black Bulls?" 

"Huh? You seem pretty powerful and you remind me of someone I knew back in the day." Asuna wanted to ask who but dropped it when Asta came running up to them. "You gotta lot of nerve making me wait like that, newbie. Just how long was this dump you took anyway?" 

"Man, captain! You wouldn't believe it, seriously. Yeah like long and huge too!" Asuna shook her head in embarrassment over her brother. "That's not what I meant when I asked how long it was! Like I wanna spend my time chatting about your turds, ya moron!" Yami glanced over to the older members of the black bulls. "Go on Finral." 

"Go ahead kid" Asuna didn't want to have to deal with an angry Yami so she stepped through the portal.