chp 2 - 2AM

The asylum was going mad as always, but it wasn't just the patients. Doctors were traumatized, it seemed like they needed psychiatrists. Guards were panicked, afraid of when "Joker" might pop in again. Patients didn't care one bit though, that's good I guess.

We were put back in our individual cells as staffs and workers were to assemble in the lobby for a meeting. As soon as the lockups were done, the rest of the floors in the building was nothing but silence. Everyone else were at the ground floor as the patients were isolated.

_____

I stood by the foggy window, staring down at those tiny cars rushing by as the city lights accompanied them through the busy streets. I smiled at the thought of inanimate objects not being alone, which made me look absolutely pathetic. I chuckled at that thought and walked towards my bed. Suddenly, a certain clown popped into my head.

"Oh yeah.." I whispered under my breath as I remembered the note he gave before disappearing. I pictured him in my mind again, but without the makeup. Unfortunately, it was impossible. He could be anyone. I sighed and glanced at the clock; it was 12AM already.

As I laid in bed, I thought of whether the note was actually true or not. Did he only give it to me to make me overthink? To bring my hopes up? I shook my head, trying to get those thoughts off my head. I shouldn't give a shit, he was a clown after all. They joke all the time. The lights began to flicker and soon, it had died. Not even a gleam could be seen in the room, but only the distant city lights and a beam of moonlight.

I sighed tiredly, yawning as I stared at the ceiling, both my arms crossed behind my head. Slowly, memories of Carla and I started to flash in my head. There were times where we joked about Dameria being a witch and there were times where we comforted each other from the abuse from the woman. The thought of Carla dead, not being with me, but in grave with that bitch frightened me. She and I were always together through thick and thin, it had been like that my whole life.

I miss her, I thought as I silently sobbed alone. The breeze of the air conditioner caressed my skin as hot tears began to soak through my mattress. It had been so long since I cried this much. Cried because I needed someone. As minutes few by, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

______

"Are you okay?" a soft, distant familiar voice spoke in my ear as I felt a warm finger stroking my cheek. I tiredly opened my eyes, but my blurry vision couldn't exactly see who it was. The sun was barely up and the room was still dead, cold and dark. Slowly, I turned around and got up.

"Hey, who are-" I stuttered, rubbing my eyes, then a glimpse of green assured me that it was who I thought it was. "Joker."

His soft chuckled echoed the room as I felt his presence coming closer, then a weight on my bed. Gradually, my vision cleared as the man kept me company.

"Call me Arthur, please," he chuckled, grasping  my hand gently. I could feel his warm fingers stroking my cheek, feeling my dry tear stain on my hot cheeks, causing him to sigh. "You were crying."

I chuckled nervously, softly pushing his arm away and I vigorously wiped my cheeks. "It's nothing, just memories."

He shifted closer to me as he took of his coat. My heart was beating so fast as negative possibilities entered my mind, alarming me, but I just sat there silently. He gently placed his coat around me as he gave me a warm smile.

"Arkham clothings are thin as fuck," he laughed as he held my hand. "Back when I was locked up in here, I'd freeze to death."

We both laughed as we began to share negative experiences we had in Arkham. Our fingers unconsciously interlock as we just talked to each other, laughing endlessly. Then an awkward silence got in between us.

I nervously rubbed the back of my neck as I suddenly thought of Murray Franklin. I looked at him anxiously, debating with myself whether I should break the silence and talk about that day or to keep shut. Personally, I found it quite amusing how the man died in his show, but I didn't know if Arthur would take it positively. Then Arthur finally broke the silence by clearing his throat.

"I know you're thinking about Murray," he uttered softly, slowly pulling his fingers away from mine. I turned back and glanced at the clock behind me; it was 4AM. I glanced back at him, who was simply staring at me with an perplexed, awkward frown on his face.

"Look, it's okay if you don't wanna talk about it-"

"I don't mind," he interrupted. Then an awkward silence got between us again. I gazed into his green eyes, mesmerised by how deep one could fall into. I slowly nodded my head as I gave him a small smile, and he began to grin at me.

"It was... oddly captivating," I admitted as a big grin appeared on Arthur's face. He raised an eyebrow at me as his head leaned towards mine. His body moved closer to mine as his arm was wrapped around my waist, his green coat pushed against my freezing skin.

Suddenly, a loud bang echoed the room, accompanied by an ear-splitting scream. Footsteps were rushing all over the place. Arthur and I were alarmed, and clearly he needed to leave before he was captured. He looked at me with his widened, green eyes as he quietly got up.

"Keep the coat, try to hide it," he wheezed softly as he winked at me. Then he grabbed my hands and placed it against my eyes. Softly, he whispered, "count til ten."

Before I could say a word, I felt his warm lips pushed against mine as his arms grabbed my waist forcefully. He slowly pulled away, but I could literally feel him grinning. "I'll see you soon, doll."

The room was then silent, not even the sound of his footsteps were present. I slowly counted with my hands covering my eyes. As soon as I reached ten, I quickly opened my eyes to see nothing but the sound of the air conditioner blasting. I looked around to see how he could've escaped but I couldn't find a thing, until I glanced up at the ventilation. My lips curled into a big grin as I hugged the green coat tighter.

____________