chp 4 - escape

It's funny how life works. There I was, sitting still in the recreational area alone watching the first snowfall of the year, as mental patients picked fights and go insane over a loaf. I scoffed at the madness, but all that was on my mind was Arthur. I barely knew the dude, but he made me feel wanted. Useful. Dare I say, love.

_________

"It's the most wonderful time of the year," I jokingly sang to the doctor, who was sitting opposite me, as I twirled my hair, staring at the wall with my feet on the table. He stared at me confused, wondering why I wasn't screaming at my dreadful luck and my days at Arkham. I slowly turned around at him, my lips curling into a smile as I continued the lyrics. The man just stared at me with his cold, dead eyes as he wrote down on his notepad.

"Why so glum, doc?" I asked, smiling at the frowning man. He glared at me so coldly, I could feel the temperature of the room decrease, but my grin grew bigger. "Hm, seems like that ice in your heart's affecting your eyes as well."

"You seem more... energetic today," he uttered as his awfully deep, husky voice echoed the freezing room. His voice often gave me shivers down my spine, but I usually hid it. However, today was different. I jokingly immitaded a horny woman's expression and I shook vigorously.

"Oh doctor, that voice gives me goosebumps!" I moaned loudly, watching his expression turn from cold to disgust. It really made me laugh hysterically, that man. I wasn't really sure if he actually did lose his v-card from that awful expression he kept put on his face. No woman would actually want to do him, unless he was actually a charmer outside of the building.

"That was inappropriate," he muttered, pushing up his glasses as he glared at me still. I rolled my eyes, sighing at his tedious behaviour and I began to mimick his expression. His ears were literally blowing out steam and his face was turning red every second, it was hilarious.

Finally, it was time to wrap up the session. I just couldn't wait to get out of this place, or maybe he forgot. Whatever that gave me the spontaneous attitude, it was fun having to not scream at people's faces calling them bastards.

Two guards suddenly bursted into the room and began to grab both my arms. Doctor Gray and I had two minutes left of the session, but he didn't glance at me one bit. It was quite unusual though this happened only exactly the time the session ended, not when one minute or two before. Doctor Gray might've assumed it was normal and it was the end of the session since he didn't glance at his watch or the clock ever and he uttered: "i'll see you tomorrow."

The guards firmly pulled me out of the room and out into the hallway, but it was odd that it was the wrong route to my cell. Nervousness began to crawl up my spine as my heart was pumping out of my heart. What if the asylum wanted to get rid of me? What if I was being executed? Execution wasn't exactly a thing in a mental hospital, but who knew?

Soon, I realised they were dragging me to the women's bathroom. I gasped as those buff men pushed me in front of the wide door, and then I felt a heavy bag thrown on my back roughly. I winced as I turned around in pain, glaring at the men.

"What the hell did you do that for? Why are we even here- oh you cannot force me to take a shit as some experimental tes-" I furiously yelled out as my eyes widened in rage. Suddenly, one of the tanned buff man forcefully threw his hands against my mouth as my words muffled through his huge hand. He began to angrily shush me, rolling his eyes as his other partner sighed in annoyance.

"Shut up and stop screaming please!" he hissed madly and he grabbed the bag from the ground and and aggressively slammed it on my hand. "Change and we leave, boss expects us to be there in 30 minutes."

"...boss?" I stammered in confusion, hesitant to enter the bathroom, but the man pushed me in angrily as he began to nag.

As I forcefully entered the bathroom, I glanced at the duffel bag in bewilderment. What the hell- why I was supposed to wear those? I thought. I slowly opened the bag, revealing a wig, some sunglasses and those outfit the doctors would wear in the hospital. Then realisation punched me in the face.