Chapter 15: NO!

Monsé's POV:

After the doctors took Josie and put her to sleep, all the emotions I had been feeling just escaped as a horrible, gut-wrenching sound escaped my lips. I collapsed on the floor bringing Chase with me. 

"Oh my God, what am I going to do without her?", I cried as Noah helped me off the floor. 

"Don't worry, my love. She's going to make it. She's coming back, all three of us are going to raise your baby-our baby.", Noah said in that loving way that made me want to believe him, but I didn't. 

Josie was always able to predict things. Not in a weird way, not like a psychic. But in a coincidental way. Like one time, we were getting ready to go to a party that she was interested in, but at the last second, she decided not to because she felt like something bad was going to happen. Sure enough, the next day on the news, the house where the party was at was reported to be burned down with only 5 survivors. And another time, I was carrying my lunch tray, which had a bunch of food on it, to my table and Josie said, "I'm gonna laugh when you trip and you end up wearing it instead of eating it.". And, while I didn't trip, someone ran into me, and my spaghetti went down the front of my shirt and all over my face. It's like she can sense when shit is about to happen. So I wasn't very confident that she was gonna make it since she told me to be prepared.

About 30 minutes after I had calmed down, I saw a nurse walking towards me with a worried face. Oh no, Josie died already. It hasn't even been an hour, and she's gone. I thought to myself. But when the nurse came up to me and asked me why there was dried blood streaked down my face, I suddenly remembered that just a few hours before, I had been crying blood. It must have happened again while I was crying over Josie. I thought, again, to myself. 

"Umm, to be honest, I don't know. It happened a few hours ago, but I was too worried about someone to make a big deal of it. Why? Is it bad? Does it mean something?", I questioned.

"I'm not sure, but I do recommend you see a doctor about that right now. Crying blood never showed up as a good thing.", she replied.

"Ok. Thank you.", I said as she looked at me in a strange way. I guess she wasn't expecting me to be so nonchalant about it. 

Noah looked at me with concern written all over his face. "Maybe she's right, babe. Maybe we do need to let a doctor check you out. Just to be sure you're ok." 

"You're right, but to be honest, I've always been scared of doctors.", I laughed at my own words. What was I saying? I'm about to be a mom, I need to get over these types of fears. But I couldn't help being scared. No, not of the doctor. That was a lie to cover up the real reason. Josie was in surgery, and I didn't want to be getting a check up if (as much as I don't want to say it) she died. 

Noah walked me up to a doctor and asked him to do an emergency check up. 

"It's really not a big deal.", I laughed looking around nervously. I kept thinking one of the surgeons would come up to me covered in blood to tell me she hadn't made it. 

"I beg to differ, Miss...?", the doctor said, his tone letting me know he wanted my name.

"Monsé. Monsé Jamel.", I answered.

"Well, Miss Monsé Jamel, the blood on your cheeks isn't very normal. I would like to do a few test on you. If that's ok.", the doctor, who's name I had learned was Doctor Chord, said. 

"Uh, yeah. Sure, I guess.", I stated, not really wanting to comply.  

                                        .                                  .                              .

After the check-up, Doctor Chord looked at the charts he had made. 

"I just don't understand", he muttered to himself.

"I'm sorry, but what don't you understand?", Noah asked him.

The doctor looked at me then looked at Chase. "Let's talk outside.", he said.

Noah and the doctor stepped outside the examination room. I pulled out my phone. The clock on the screen told me it was 6:04 PM. Josie had been in the OR for almost an hour. Oh my God. What the hell am I doing? I'm a sixteen year-old pregnant sophomore with a girlfriend who could die any minute. I should me in the waiting room. WAITING for news instead of in here while some random doctor does a check up on something that probably doesn't even matter. 

So, I decided to sneak out. Noah and Chord walked away from the door, so I carefully made my way out and back to the waiting room just as a doctor covered in blood was walking out of the OR. 

"Monsé, I presume?", she said looking pained.

"Ye-yes? Is something wrong with Josie? Is she hurt?", I asked frantically.

"This hurts me to say, but Josie unfortunately did not survive the surgery."

A/N

NOAH NOT CHASE!!!!