𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓁𝑜𝓊𝑔𝑒

⤜✵⤛

Screams erupted around me, all reverberating through me, piercing my soul, tormenting my already sickened figure. I knew the image of this day would forever haunt my mind, my nightmares. The image before me would be nearly impossible to escape.

Innocent bodies were sprawled out, still and lifeless against cobblestone. Blood spewed from a majority of them, though most had died instantly. It was an act of terrorism, something horrid that all would remember forever.

The Kingdom had been guarded well, men covered in metal armor, prepared to defend it no matter what,even if it meant death. And it had.

Along with the innocents, the bodies of guards littered the streets, hundreds of them spanning past intersecting roads. It was enough to make me bring a hand to my mouth, realization shuddering through me, my eyes brimmed with tears. My blood turned cold as a shiver crawled down my spine.

Most would've imagined a whole legion had attacked this Kingdom. That there had been an ongoing war that had caused this kind of destruction, with this many casualties. But it was not a group; nor a single man.

It was me. Ariane.

Ariane, a person created to ensue chaos and harm amongst those around her, even if she didn't wish to. Ariane, blessed by the man who had gifted her with the abilities she possessed. Ariane, the one informed that she was ready to infiltrate a kingdom. Ariane, the one to kill hundreds. Ariane, the one to kill a King who deserved mercy.

But he hadn't let me show such weakness. The man who I once considered a friend, family even, had finally shown his true colors. Where there was once an ally, there was now only a captor. Compassion was thrown out the door the moment he got into my head, monitoring my movements as he forced me to use my abilities on those who didn't deserve to die. He forced me to watch the innocents writhe in agony, desperation in their eyes, before the electricity took its time snaking up to their brains, killing them slowly, but surely. Lightning had the potential of making death quick and short, but it seemed he wanted it the other way. Slow, painful, and torturous.

Some begged, others fought, but he had me kill them no matter what they did. Their metal weapons and pointed pitchforks were no match for me. For what I could do.

I was a monster.

I never had a childhood, or the chance to become anything other than a weapon. Once I had been given my abilities, days for playing and fun had been replaced with training and exercises to strengthen me, to make me powerful, to make me fearsome.

He thought I could be invincible, and so I was his top priority. His number one freak who was always called to do his bidding, to oblige to his tests, to agree to his horrible plans. Like this one.

Usually, I was too afraid to argue. I feared that if I did, he'd take my ability away, and everything I'd ever worked for—everything I'd ever done—would be thrown out the door. I feared that if I had no special qualities, he wouldn't want me. That he'd throw me away and force me to fend for myself. I'd be no use to him.

But after having enough of his forcing me to do his bidding, I'd let go of that fear. I'd decided I'd be fine if I had no ability, if I was thrown into the Wild to fend for myself. I would survive. I always had, this would be no different.

So I'd spoken up to him, told him I wouldn't follow through with his heinous idea of tearing down an entire kingdom. It made no sense, anyhow. He had no motive. Only the desire to destroy.