1 | The Origins

Marinette's POV

"Marinette dear, make sure to enroll in the student council at school. Also, don't forget about our charity bakery event today, we need you to be here."

I turn my and head nod at my mom, but not paying her any attention. My eyes look in the mirror while holding a hair tie in my mouth, and using my hands, I part my hair down the middle. This separates my hair into two pig tails, and I tie them.

My mom turns and points at me with her acrylic red nails. "Oh, also... I want you to increase your volunteer hours per week from 10 to 20. This shouldn't be too hard, considering how the park is needing help planting the new flowers in their beds."

I looked at my mom in the kitchen as I took quick steps down the stairs and nodded. This was all for me, I told myself. She wants to be successful. She wants this for the better in me. I need this.

"Marinette!" my mom calls, looking at her watch. "You should be heading to school soon! You must be at least 10 minutes early, or -"

"- or else I won't be successful," I finish. "I know, Mom. Thank you." I could never be one of those klutz who always shows up late. How annoying would that be?

I grab my pink backpack by the door and sling it over my shoulder. I slide on my slip on shoes and adjust my polka dotted jacket. I grab the door handle and turn it, while taking a step into the cool, crisp fall breeze. The sun beams down on me and I start to walk off.

"You're doing this for yourself, but also for me. Remember that," Mom calls out.

I don't say anything.

Tears slowly fill my eyes as I walk to school. My breaths get fast. I'm sick of her controlling me. I feel like my heart is going to explode. I try to calm myself down, but then I notice my hands are trembling uncontrollably. I dash to school, run to the bathroom, then lock the door. I drop my bags, and weep. My throat is so tight, I feel like I might die. I need to be in control again.

Adrien's POV

"Oh my GOD, why are you LIKE THIS?!" I scream at my father.

"You are not going to school, I've already told you! Everything you need is right here where I can keep an eye on you. I will not have you outside in that dangerous world, because you are not like everyone else! You are my son!" My father says, his voice booming.

Silence.

"Fine," I say, defeated, again. "I'll head to my room."

"Nathalie shall fetch your books. Don't leave your room, Adrien."

I turn away from him and walk up the glossy, white marble stairs. When I reach my room, I turn my head and look down from the balcony. My father is there, looking as stone cold as ever. He adjusts his new brooch he got, and signals me to go into my room.

My eyes pierce through his act. He's never seen me disobey. I'm so tired of him being in total control of me. I've always obeyed him, and never stepped out of line.

Until today.

I look at myself in the mirror. This is the perfect son he raised. A flawless model with no mistakes. Tears start to prick up in my eyes. I am not his son. Flashbacks of my mother laughing joyfully strike my mind, then her last sad breaths holding my hand. I start trembling.

My breaths get short, and I start sweating. Chills strike my spine. My heart is pounding against my chest. Why is this happening to me? I feel like I am going to die! I burst out in tears, and ball up my hands. I have no control of anything anymore. I need to be in control. I don't want to be his son anymore.

My eyes dart to my dad's razor.

I grab my hair, and pull it to one side, shaving the hair by my ears. 2 minutes later, I do the other side. After I have surrounded myself with puffs of hair, I'm left with a side shave. I smile a weak smile through my tears. I look nothing like my father now.

But I need more. I can't look anything like him.

I run out of the bathroom, and slide on my shoes. I run to my wall and open a window, then hope for the best as I jump for the ground. I land like a cat, then dash away from my prison. I need to be free, I think. I need to look nothing like him.

"Hey! Watch out!"

The next thing I know, I'm on the ground. I get up, and brush the dirt off my pants. I look around and realize I must have ran into someone. It's a short old man with a red vacation shirt on, however, he's still on the ground.

The old me would have helped him up.

I am not the old me.

I do the exact opposite of what I would have done. Steal. I grab his wallet, a weird box he was holding, then run. I turn the corner, and sprint toward the school.

-

a.n. thank you for reading! i assume at least half of you came from my instagram, but if not, follow me at chats_lady to see drawings on how the characters look. i'll also make sure to share some on here too!