[27] Melancholy

Art by stormy_aozora71 <3

"...I'm right, aren't I? That's you in there, isn't it, Momota-kun?" Shuichi concluded, pointing at the Exisal.

"Really? Is it really Momota-kun?" Tsumugi exclaimed.

Kiibo nodded. "I must reluctantly agree with Saihara-kun's deduction-"

"Wow, Saihara-chan, you must really love your cuh-raaaaazy deductions!" Kokichi added.

Maki stared at the Exisal with wide eyes. "...Huh?"

"You're... still not gonna admit it?" Himiko grumbled, very annoyed.

"Admit it? But it's wrong." Kokichi said.

"But, logically speaking, his deduction tracks..." Kiibo narrowed his eyes at the Exisal.

"If it's really Momota-kun in there, he would've admitted it by now." Tsumugi commented.

"Was Saihara's reasoning wrong somehow?" Himiko asked, sweating nervously.

"..." Shuichi stared at the Exisal.

Ichika let out a slightly shaky sigh. "...You all don't seem to understand, so let me break it down for you nincompoops."

"N-Nincompoops!?" Himiko shouted.

"You don't have any evidence to say that the bodies were switched other than the footage stopping for a brief moment. Even if that scenario does seem likely... at the end of the day..." Ichika's expression grew dark. "It's nothing more than a speculation."

"If we reverse our reverse way of thinking then it's likely I didn't do anything, right?" Kokichi continued. "It's totally possible that the body-switching never happened, and Momota-chan is dead. Not *just* possible, it's the actual truth..."

"Well... it's true there's no proof that the bodies were switched..." Tsumugi muttered.

"No, we should trust Saihara-kun's deduction! I'm sure everything will be okay!" Kiibo reassured. "This emotion I've learned... I believe you call it 'faith'. That's what I feel right now."

"That's right... We have to believe in Saihara!" Himiko chirped.

"Well, I don't care either way. But if you guys get it wrong... You'll have to deal with Monokuma." Kokichi said. "What will the results of voting time be?"

"You know, if Monokuma makes a mistake here, he has no right to execute anyone," Ichika added. "Then it will be Ouma-san and mine's victory. It'll completely ruin this killing game."

"C'mon, Monokuma. Start the voting already." Kokichi demanded.

Shuichi's eyes widened in sudden realisation. That's why your eyes weren't on me Aki-san... you were never fighting me, you were fighting-

"Yeah, yeah, I'm getting to it. Sheesh..." Monokuma huffed. "Let's proceed with voting time, shall we? Sorry I fell short of your expectations, but I'm pretty sure I won't make any mistakes. Cuz I got the Ultimate Detective airtight logic on my side!"

"Ah... Can I just say something? I'd like to have one last conversation before we vote." Shuichi requested.

"...Hm? One last conversation?" Monokuma tilted his head.

"There's... more to talk about?" Maki asked, clearly quite shocked.

"You see, before we vote... There's something I have to say. I just need you all to listen..." Shuichi sighed and took a deep breath. "Alright, let's pin this down. Who is inside that Exisal?"

Kiibo stared at Shuichi with a puzzled expression. "Hm? Momota-kun, right?"

"That's what you said, isn't it?" Maki said.