3. Home Sweet Home

Present

Today Mahi is moving with her step-brothers. Her father died and she has no one besides them.

In the past 20 or 30 hours her life has changed drastically. Her father died. She was moving in with her so-called brothers in a different country.

She has three elder half-brothers. Alex was the eldest followed by Dean and Edward was the youngest who was only a year older than Mahi. They were from her father's first wife who died giving birth to Edward.

After her death he married Mahi's mom and had Mahi but she had cancer and she too died when Mahi was 4. She doesn't remember her.

She was only 6 when her brothers left home. She barely remembers them and doesn't know them at all.

She just kept her fingers crossed hoping for the best and continued.

She was told that her eldest brother will come to pick her so she was waiting at the location they decided . She was even shown his picture to help her recognize him. She was waiting there playing with her fingers when she saw a tall handsome man walking towards her whom she instantly recognized as her brother.

Alex's pov

As I entered I saw a cute girl who was Mahi. I recognized her as soon as I saw her. I saw her picture like a thousand times since I got it. She was so fucking adorable. I wish I could have seen her growing up. I missed her. I missed the time she used to hold on to me. The time she first said my name.

I just cleared my mind and walked over to her . She was playing with her fingers. She was looking really cute as I walked over to her. She looked at me with her big brown eyes. Her eyes were really beautiful.

"Umm... Hi, I am Alex. You must be Mahi, no? " I said, trying to start a conversation with her. She nodded . I felt like she doesn't wanna talk right now. Yeah she must be tired from a long flight. I think I should give her time to feel comfortable here.

"Let's go. The boys are eagerly waiting to meet you. " She nodded again. Maybe here I exaggerated it a little bit. They weren't so happy about the fact of having Mahi in the house. But I guess they'll come to love her and accept her as time goes on.

"Let me help you with your luggage. " I said, trying to sound more gentle. She handed me a small bag much to my surprise. I mean I carry a bigger bag than this even if I'm going for a holiday.

"Is this it? " I asked her and she nodded. I guided her to my car. The car ride was silent . This whole time I was expecting her to say something but she didn't. She just kept playing with her hair or fingers.

Soon we were at our huge house. She must've liked it. The boys were nowhere in the house. I asked Mahi if she was hungry or if she needed anything but she shook her head. I gave her a small tour of our home and guided her to her room. It was nice. I told her she should rest for some time to which she nodded and I left her alone.

Later she came into the kitchen when I was making dinner. Just then Dean and Ed came , gave a look to Mahi and went. After finishing dinner I called them to eat. None of them actually talked to her. Mahi was focused on her food and the boys were staring at her.

"So boys introduce yourselves to our little sister. " I told them seeing they weren't willing to do it by themselves. "What a drag" I heard Dean saying to himself a little louder.

"Hey I'm Edward. Nice to meet you" Ed said smiling. No matter what he showed I know he is happy to have Mahi over.

But on the other hand was Dean he still was rude. "Dean." This was all he said and that too without a smile.

"Mahi they go to the same high school that you will be attending starting tomorrow. I got all your documents this morning and I enrolled you right away. And ya I got all the books you will be needing. If you have anything else you need just tell me and we can go shopping tomorrow maybe after school. "

"Nothing... I need nothing. " She replied immediately. This was the first time I heard her voice since she was here.

"Umm.. Okay. Finish your dinner and meet me in the living so we can get over some quick rules. "

Rules... Rules were important. Mahi seems like a decent kid seeing her reports but still Rules are necessary and if she is good she won't have any trouble following them. I know I can be really strict sometimes but it's for their own good.

She came in a few minutes and I motioned her to sit besides me.

"Starting tomorrow you will be attending a private school. You will ride to school with your brothers. Am I clear? " I asked her and she nodded again.

"Mahi, I prefer verbal answers."

"Yes." She answered looking at her hands.

"So the rules are quite simple. Do well in school. No drinking or smoking. Always ask for permission if you want to go out or need anything. Never talk back. Never cuss. Don't lie. Neither boys nor dating are allowed and wear decent outfits. " I told her. She nodded yet again.

I continued in a stricter tone "So these are the rules which are needed to be followed otherwise... " I was trying to continue but got cut off by a restless Mahi.

"Otherwise you will punish me. You will.. You will beat me, no. Please please please I'll be good. I'll follow each and every rule. But don't beat me. Please. "

She wasn't crying but I sensed it that she was on the edge. "Mahi, Mahi. Calm down. Take deep breaths. I won't beat you ever. I can't beat you. You are my sister ,Mahi. " I told her in an attempt to calm her down. I held her hands and rubbed it but she pulled it back.

"No, you can . Please... Please promise me that you won't. "

"Okay Mahi I promise I will never hurt you."

I told her and she started taking deep breaths. She was completely calm by the next minute but she was still looking at her hands.

"Hey, look at me. No one will beat you here. You can feel safe here. This is your home okay?? Your Home Sweet Home. Now go to your room. Take a shower, relax a little bit and have a good night's sleep."

With this I sent her but this weird behavior of hers was worrying me. I mean why would she think that her own brother will beat her. I know this is her first day with us and it's normal to have insecurities but this.. This wasn't normal. Or maybe I'm just overthinking. I mean she lost dad. Her whole life was changing. Giving her some time seems like the right thing to do now.