29. Selfish brother

Edward's POV

BANG!!!!

I froze in my spot.

Mahi was lying there in front of my eyes. Blood was slowly soaking her peach coloured hoodie. Her eyes seemed lifeless.

Everyone rushed to her help but as much as I wanted to help her, my feet won't move.

Her initial moments of struggle ceased as Sam picked her up gently and kept her head on his lap. This was when I could get complete look of Sam's face. His pale face was tear stained. He was desperately calling for help. With Mahi in his arms bleeding, he couldn't think straight. He wasn't sure if he should try and stop the bleeding or call 911 or take her to hospital immediately. He was begging the crowd which had formed around them to save her. I don't think Sam has ever felt this helpless and incapable before. He was feeling weak.

Within 5 minutes the ambulance arrived. I don't know who called but I am grateful. They put her carefully on the strecher, Dean and Sam accompanied her to the hospital while I stood there staring as the crowd was dispersing.

Soon everyone from school gathered too. " Ed, what happened? " I recognised that this soft and concerned voice belonged to Dylan. I pointed a shivering finger at Mahi's blood on the road. " ...Tha-t..... Blood... Mahi " Someone standing nearby explained everything.

" We should go guys. I'll get my car. " Seb suggested and brought his car. He told me to get in but I stood there frozen at my spot. That's when Mary came outside and hugged me tightly. So tightly that I felt my breath was getting knocked out. But at the same time, the hug was warm and comforting. I broke into her arms. I let all my pain out in the form of tears.

Once my crying eased, they shoved me into the car and Seb drive as fast as he could. I was sitting next to Dylan who biting his nails nervously. We rushed to Mahi as we reached the hospital.

Sam was sitting there on a bench facepalming while Dean was pacing to and fro in the corridors. I asked Dean about Mahi's situation which was yet unknown as the doctor was still in her room. Dean was showing how much he scared he was from the inside. That's like typical Dean who likes to maintain his stone exterior. 

Around 30 minutes later, doctor came out. Dean rushed to doctor and asked, " Is she okay, doctor? " To which the doctor replied, " Well she needs to go in an immediate surgery. A piece of a broken bone has penetrated into her left heart chamber and she has already lost a lot of blood. We need to do the surgery as soon as possible. We'll prepare for it. "

" Who is her legal guardian? Is he here? " Dean shook his head. " Then call him immediately. I need to speak with him. "

Oh god! Is she going to be okay?!

Dean called Alex but he wasn't picking up. " He is ignoring my calls. Great! Now it's going straight on voicemail. " I had his office's number so I tried that and his secretary picked it up. "Hello this is... " I cut her to it.
" Is Alex there? I need to speak with him immediately. "
" Just a second. "
And she connected the line to his phone. " Yes? " He annoyingly said.
" Alex... Mahi "
" Edward... I am busy and I don't have time for your usual school drama. " Just when he was hunging up I said,"She got in an accident. We need you. Come to the hospital asap. "

Dean completed all the formalities. While we were waiting for Alex, police arrived. They asked questions about the vehicle and driver who caused the accident, got all the details and were about to leave when the doctor called the officer to talk in private. Alex arrived when Mahi went in for the surgery. It wasn't a difficult one so I ended quickly but Mahi was still unconscious and under observation. She has been shifted in a normal ward where we can see her. Sam broke in tears as soon as she saw Mahi unconscious on the hospital bed.

The officers hasn't left yet because they wanted to talk to us. They came inside Mahi's room.
" Let's talk outside alone. " Alex suggested but the officers insisted to stay in and talk in front of us.
" Who did this with my sister, officer?"
" We looked into that and it was purely an unfortunate accident. The driver had every document and wasn't drunk. Apparently your sister jumped in front of the vehicle. But we are here to discuss something else. " Alex gave him a confused look so they called the doctor.
" Well Mr Alexander, when your sister was brought in here, I saw signs of physical abuse. Her arms, legs, back, stomach everything is covered in scars. Some scars were new as if from a month or two ago. While some were from 9-10 years ago. But the strange part is that some scars weren't from  normal beating by some drunk person. It was torture. "

No no no...... Please no please.

How can we be so dumb. We thought our sister was safe with an abusive man. When we left, somewhere in our heart we knew that our father was capable of abusing Mahi but we still left her there to save ourselves. I.. I promised to protect her but instead I ran away, I ran away to save myself leaving her to deal with my problems alone.

She didn't deserve such a selfish brother.