35. Dylan

Dylan

I had my breath taken when I found out that Mahi was in an accident. And obviously I was over the moon when she recovered. In these few days I found a lot about Mahi, the things she was trying to hide.

Guess, I wasn't wrong when I felt we had something similar in us.

No wonder, I let her in more than anyone else. 

But she has grown, distant to me since the day Sam returned. It felt like he took my place. 

But that was his place to begin with. 

At first, when I saw them hugging passionately in the hallways, I got very angry. 

When I found out he was her old best friend and she was his Motu, I felt a pang of jealousy. 

But the change in Mahi's behaviour wasn't something I could neglect for much longer.

The level of happiness and comfort, Sam gave her, I don't think I and for a matter of fact anyone would have been able to give her. She felt safe when Sam was around. She would laugh out, cry, whine about stupid things, joke around and would do many things which were out of her 'silent' character. She began to act like the Motu, Sam has told a thousand stories about. 

I may not agree when my friends tease me, but I indeed am attracted to her. I want to spend most of my time with her. I don't know if it's love or a mere attraction but whatever it is, it's one sided. I once thought about telling my feelings to Mahi but I decided against it because I want to be a part of her life even if it is only as a friend. 

Sam's mother told us everything about Mahi, her past, her Dad, her relationship with Sam.

My eyes began watering up. With each word, I was reliving my past.

When it got too much to bear, I left and only met Mahi when she came to school after recovering. She tried talking to me but I somehow ignored her without raising much suspicions. 

Today she tried talking to me a lot of times and it was more obvious that I was ignoring her.

Mahi barged in on me when I was changing out of my gym clothes in the locker room. "Why are you igno…" she stopped dead in her tracks because my naked back was facing her and the scars were now more visible.

She didn't ask me any details but only one simple question, "Who?"

It was the first time anyone has brought that topic up. No one knows about this, even my friends except Mary. She found out about this when my mother died and she was the one who brought me back into light. 

I saw Mahi breathing heavily, her nostrils were flaring and her face paled. "Mahi, relax. I'll explain everything. Sit here." There was no way I could handle something but I can't call anyone or they'll find out about this so I called Mary and told her to get here as soon as possible.

Mahi was keen to find the whole truth. So I told her, "This started when my dad found my mom was cheating on her. He divorced her but somehow she proved that Dad abuses her and put a case of domestic violence on him. He had to give his everything to her and as a result, he lost my custody. Even though she had everything, She would beat me, starve me, torture me in ways no one can imagine. When I was 12, my Dad came back, now sufficient enough to have my custody. We managed to put her behind the bars and then I started living with my dad. Everything has been going really well now but somehow I can't let go."

Her eyes watered up when I finished. She took a minute to grasp on my words. "I know." She put his hand on mine and gave an assuring squeeze.

"There's always a feeling inside that bites you and doesn't let go of the past. And it can't be done alone. You need to trust someone with your secrets." She added.

"I just did. You are the only girl I can talk to after my trauma." I shyly admitted.

"Are you sure about that?" She asked, referring to Mary who was silently listening to us.

"I haven't been here for much longer so I surely don't know many things but from what I got so far. She's the only person who knew about this. She's the one who helped you when you were hurting. Okay tell me this, why are you able to talk to Mary even after your trauma?"

"Because I am comfortable around her." I dryly answered.

"That's the point. Something in Mary gives you the comfort no one else does. Just think about it." With that being said Mahi left us.

"This is really awkward." Mary said pacing in front of me and left me with my own thoughts.

Sometimes we just need a fresh take on an issue and that is what Mahi has given me.

After a lot of time I realised whatever Mahi said was true. The true comfort, care, feeling of security, everything Sam gives Mahi was given to me by Mary for the whole life.

What I had for Mahi wasn't love, it was just a feeling that you are not alone and someone is there who's not too different from you. I thought she'd understand me when the person who truly understands me was in front of my eyes.

That day I released the blindfold I was wearing for my whole life and decided that I'll hold some people close no matter what.