Sorry, Not Sorry

Carlos and Ben's engagement had been broadcast across all of interkingdom television. For Jay, this was inescapable torture. Every single time he flipped past the news there was some new update on the kingdom's hottest couple. Hot, yeah right, the only hot it was to Jay was the way it boiled his blood and made him want to stick his fist through the television screen. He knew he fucked things up and should have been a better friend and lover. There were a lot of things he needed to learn. But it certainly was true that you never know what you have until it is gone.

Mal brooded with Audrey asking her once again how she looked while snapping selfie after selfie. The news was broadcasting Ben and Carlos on a skiing trip near Arendelle. Her blood ran cold and she wanted to wring her girlfriend's neck if she didn't shut up. How had she, Mal of all people, manage to lose the most perfect boyfriend. She couldn't possibly understand even after the messy breakup. Ben said things about being bratty and selfish but she never understood it. She tried to be the perfect princess for him, but it wasn't good enough. So what if she used magic to fit in and do everything. Use it or lose it. She lost it, lost him. Now all she could do was flip through channels trying to find something that had nothing to do with the happy couple as Audrey asks whether she should wear her hair up or down to go shopping.

Just as Jay was settling in for the morning after another shit shift as a bouncer at Hades' nightclub, the Underworld. His eyes had bags and his body was bruised from a drunk patron getting too rowdy. He flunked out of his college scholarship for Tourney and Fencing without Carlos helping tutor his grades so he had no real education beyond Auradon Prep. Losing Carlos had sent his life into a downward spiral that he was only now hitting the bottom of, so he thought. Just outside he heard a car door and Jay stood up from his broken recliner and went to the window of his shabby apartment. Outside a Limo had pulled up bearing the royal flags of Auradon. Jay's heart hit his stomach and his throat threatened to close up as he saw Carlos exit the vehicle.

Carlos looked amazing, better even than before. Things between them started on the Isle. Before Auradon was even a dream Carlos and Jay had started out semi dating on the isle. It was mostly gang activity with small benefits like cuddling and kissing. It was nice to have someone watch your back. Carlos was always there for him after a couple rounds with harry hook, to wash him up and bandage any wounds. He was always there, even after they went to Auradon. In Auradon Jay started flirting more than usual, he liked the attention and everyone seemed happy to give it to him except Carlos. Carlos started to get jealous and Jay sneaking off for a bit of side tail didn't make matters any better. He stayed, believing all the "I'm sorry"s and "I swear to never do it again"s. By the time they reached college Carlos had enough. Ben had worked his way into Carlos' life, only as a friend. They were close even from Auradon Prep. The moment Jay would pull another stunt it was Ben who he ran too. Looking back now, Jay should have known the two would inevitably become an item.

Meanwhile, Mal was taking a heavy dose of Tylenol when there was a knock at her and Audrey's door. Mal was nurturing a migraine that Audrey had given her from her endless self absorbed questions. It was driving her nuts. Thankfully for Mal she was smart enough to make her way through college and was now a graphic designer, starting out she was struggling a bit but having a loaded girlfriend helps keep the bills paid. Her apartment was much nicer than Jay's but sickeningly princess pink and designed by Audrey. She was trapped in a princess nightmare and the multiple shades of pinks and baby blues made her want to vomit at this point. She left the kitchen as the knocking at her door became firmer and louder. To her aching head, it was like someone pounding on her skull.

"JUST A FUCKING MINUTE" She screamed already pissed off and ready to take off whoever's head was now bothering her.

When Carlos got to Jay's door, he opened it before the guy could even knock. Carlos smiled and looked at Jay, looking him over then frowned a bit. "Looks like life hasn't been good to you." He said wearing De Vil brand fashion and smelling of the most expensive brand of Merlin's Cologne for Men. Jay squinted at the light coming from behind Carlos and let him in.

"Why are you even here?" Jay couldn't help but be annoyed. Carlos held out his hand, a ruby embellished gold ring sat in his palm. Jay frowned and took his ring from Carlos, it was a promise ring he bought for Carlos after the third time he got caught screwing someone else. He took a deep sigh and looked at the man he lost, who was always there and fought tears. "I'm guessing there is no going back is there?" He moped sitting down in his creaky chair. Carlos shook his head, chin held high not much left in him but pity for the man before him.

"You made the bed. Now you lie in it. I wanted to thank you actually, for breaking my heart because now I have everything you never gave me. I came to give you this too." Carlos pulled an obvious wedding invitation out of his pocket and Jay took it. The writing on the Card wasn't Carlos' handwriting, but Ben's. Carlos turned to leave, not even bothering to say goodbye and the door closed.

When Mal opened the door she was shocked to find King Ben standing there. She cocked her hip and smirked a bit. "Come crawling back Benny-boo?" she asked in a snarky tone. Ben gave her a look of amusement before laughing at her.

"No, I'm not. I came to give you something." He offered her back her spellbook and an invitation. Seeing the spellbook made her blood boil. After their relationship, she got in trouble for using magic and had her magic bound. The spellbook was useless to her now. It felt like a giant middle finger in her face that he was giving her this now. Ben shrugged a bit knowing what she was thinking. "I warned you about using magic. I figure maybe someday you kids might want it, if you have them." Ben said genuinely kindly. She set the spellbook down looking somewhere between pissed off and wracked by guilt.

"Is it not too late to fix this and go back to the way things were?" She practically begged but Ben just shook his head and sighed.

"Goodbye Mal." Ben left. The writing on Mal's invitation was in Carlos' obvious chicken scratch. Both Mal and Jay opened their invitations after their exes had left. They read

"Benjamin Florian Beast and Carlos Oscar De Vil formally Invite you to their wedding" This part was in print from a printer. Below was the listed date and time. Beneath that, in Ben or Carlos's handwriting, read. "Thanks for showing me that there was something better for me in the world. You showed me everything I didn't want in my life. Thanks for the memories: Sorry, Not Sorry.