Satisfied (Benlos/Bal)

"Alright, Alright! That's what I'm talking about!" Jay said loudly the reception guests of Ben and Mal's fairytale wedding. Everyone cheered at the liveliness of the reception. Carlos DeVil stood up slowly feeling like the world was unsteady beneath his feet. Everyone looked so happy, but he was only filled with hurt and sorrow. Jay gestured to Carlos, "Everyone give it up for the man of honor, Carlos DeVil!" Everyone cheered. Carlos held up his wine glass in a shaking hand. He tightened his grip firmly on the fluted glass to stabilize it and make his grip look steadier than it was.

"A Toast! To the Groom! To the Bride! From your best friend, who has always been by your side. To your union and the hope that you provide! May you always..." Carlos's eyes began to let loose tears. Thankfully they appeared to be out of joy. His eyes locked with Ben's happy ones. The words echoing from a private conversation from what felt like ages ago. "... be satisfied!" Carlos smiled sadly and despite Mal's joy filled face, recognition sparked on Ben's. The happiness on his face became polite rather than genuine. Jay announced another toast and Carlos excused himself out to the balcony for some fresh air. He gripped the railing and let the tears flow freely. He could remember and regret that night for the rest of his life.

It was during their final year at Auradon Prep. Carlos and Ben were staying up late and studying. They had been at it for hours and it was getting exhausting, so they decided to take a break. They had grown to be the best of friends since Mal and Ben were dating. The only person Ben felt he could truly be himself with was Carlos. He accepted him freely. So he felt now, in the silence between them lounging on Carlos's bed did he utter the words... "I don't think I've ever truly been satisfied. He turned his head to look at Carlos with a soft smile. Carlos turned his head to look at Ben. Their faces were close enough he could feel Ben's breath on his lips.

"Never? Isn't this more something you should tell Mal? I mean I would imagine it's between her and you if she isn't... satisfied..." Carlos chuckled nervously as butterflies filled his stomach. He wanted Ben so badly but he was only the best friend, so he had to behave himself. It wouldn't be right for him to ruin that just for something like a kiss. Ben laughed giving Carlos an amused grin.

"Sure I suppose, but I'm telling you... Mal is great and all but... sometimes I think there is something missing between us... Something I feel with you..." Ben furrowed his brows slightly concentrating on his words to carefully say what he is feeling. Carlos's heart began hammering in his chest at the implications and thoughts that this came with. Ben shifted closer rolling onto his side looking into Carlos's eyes deeply speaking softly, "I really want to try something Carlos... but I'm afraid... It's not what the kingdom would want or expect... but I just have to try it... Would you let me try something?" Ben's eyes darted to Carlos's lips for a second and he swore his lungs stopped functioning.

"Sure... anything for you Ben..." Carlos whispered rolling onto his side. Ben smiled broadly, showing how happy he was by this response in the same way his smile showed his teeth. He leaned in and captured Carlos in a kiss, a kiss that was far from innocent. It was magical and Ben rolled on top of Carlos, pinning his arms above his head and kissing him like he was starved for it. Carlos's lips were bruised red by the time they parted panting softly into each other's mouths ready for more. Carlos was looking dreamily up at Ben and Ben looked down at Carlos as if he saw everything he wanted in the world beneath him. Everything in that one moment was liquid gold. Perfection yet intangible.

"W-what about Mal..." Carlos whispered as the thought hit him. Ben grimaced and frowned. The moment was broken and it slipped through Carlos's fingers. Carlos grasped at it trying to hold onto his golden moment. "I mean... I don't want her to get hurt... and the... the kingdom... what would they... think?" Carlos kicked himself as the more he said the more Ben looked heartbroken.

"Yeah... I know... I just... that was the most satisfying thing in my life. I had to do it once. Friends?" Ben asked through sad eyes despite a fake smile. Carlos whimpered softly and forced his own smile.

"The best." Carlos sat up and returned to his homework and studying. Ben did as well and the moment was never talked about again, even though Carlos dreamed every night about it until the pain numbed. It all came back when Ben and Mal got engaged. He could tell Ben wasn't satisfied but kept smiling anyway. Carlos felt broken. Like that kiss took something from him that he would never feel again. That's when it sank in. Carlos was satisfied when he kissed Ben... and was never satisfied again. He had tried dating some pretty okay guys but it was never right. So Carlos gave up. Now he stood on the balcony, body wracked with sobs as he let go of the pain and let it take over. He collapsed to the floor by the railing clutching his knees to his chest and using the last of his restraint to not wail into the night.

Carlos didn't hear the door to the balcony softly creak open. Nor did he notice Ben standing in the doorway. He felt him though, he knew he was there. He took several sharp strides before coming to Carlos's side and sinking to the floor beside him. He pulled Carlos into his lap and pulled his head into the crook of his neck. That's when it all broke loose. Carlos wept and sobbed into Ben's shoulder clutching to him with regret knowing he was beyond his reach now. Ben didn't say anything but he was crying silently too. Once the tears had run out Carlos pulled back to look at Ben. They both looker horribly tear stained and puffy. Their eyes red and sad. Carlos tugged Ben closer and the two kissed. It was softer, sadder, and full of regret. Like before the moment was shattered and they pulled apart. Ben wiped away Carlos's tears. "Always..." Ben said simply and Carlos nodded understanding completely no matter how much it healed him and wounded him more.

"Always." Carlos Echoed. The two gathered themselves, dusted themselves off, and returned to the party separately. Ben went to find Mal and Carlos went to find a drink to drown his lingering sorrows.