Cheated (Benlos/Bal)

(A/N: So i started writing this before my mental health basically collapsed. I wrapped it up. It's short and kind of bittersweet but I think this is how my one-shot "Satisfied" would have ended ultimately.)

Mal had to cut her picnic with Evie and Doug short due to terrible weather and was coming back to the castle soaking wet from rain. She just wanted to put on some clean clothes and maybe work on some painting. As she approached her and Ben's bedroom, she heard voices. She slowed down as she got closer to the door. "I can't do this anymore. I love you and I want to be with you. I can't be with her anymore it isn't fair to any of us involved." Ben's voice came from behind the door. Mal's heart felt like it stopped. She had a feeling Ben was distant lately, but this only confirms it. Something was going on and it hurt.

"I know Ben. I know. Trust me I do. I love you too but If we leave Jane and Mal what will people say. What will they say when they find out we ended up falling in love with other people let alone that we realized neither of us is straight. Mal is still my friend. I don't want to hurt her. She deserves better... I don't know what to do." Came Carlos's voice making Mal go wide eyed. Ben was in love with her best friend. Mal felt frozen in place, her heart pounding in her chest, she couldn't believe this was happening.

"I know Mal deserves better. She deserves someone who can love her and give her everything she needs. I'm not that person. I love you Carlos and I can't bring myself to lie to her anymore. It isn't right." At this Mal finally tried to open the bedroom door, her anger getting the better of her despite how much both obviously cared about her. However, the door was firmly locked. So Mal resorted to knocking. There was an uncomfortable silence before Ben's voice called out, "Who is it?".

"It's me," Was all Mal said before she heard plenty of movement around in the bedroom. She didn't know what was going on in there and somewhere in her she knew she probably didn't want to know. A couple seconds of movement and patience later Ben opens the door dressed only in his boxers. He open the door and let her in but as her eyes scanned over the bedroom Carlos was no where to be found. Mal bit her lip looking confused and still angry but she didn't quite know how to vocalize it. Does she confront him directly or does she play along since clearly he wants to admit to it?

"What are you doing back so early?" Ben asked a little surprised going and starting to dress. Mal pursed her lips and looked at Ben for a long moment deciding what to say.

"Why was the bedroom door locked? You never lock it..." Mal decides to say making Ben briefly silent before he seems to decide to lie which does nothing for her patience or her understanding.

"You didn't... answer my question, but I wanted to take a nap without being disturbed is all..." Thoroughly guilt ridden despite doing his best to hide it from her. Mal was just good at reading people and she certainly wasn't dumb. Her patience finally at it's limit Mal takes a deep breath and fixes her eyes sharply on Ben.

"It started to rain if you hadn't noticed. Our picnic was cut short. Where is he Ben?" Mal cutting straight to the chase now not wanting to be toyed with. Ben's face flashed surprise then feigned confusion.

"Where is who?" Ben decided to ask fidgeting slightly now fully dressed in one of his regular suits that he always wears. Mal purses her lips again in disappointment before following Ben's eyes towards the closet. Mal stepped towards the closet ignoring Ben's protest. She knocked on the closet doors.

"Come out Carlos. I know you're in there." Mal said and after a tense minute Carlos stepped out of the closet fully dressed biting his lip looking nervous. Mal let out a heavy sigh letting Carlos walk over to Ben looking guilty.

"Mal I swear..." Ben started but Mal shot him a glare looking directly at him angrily.

"Don't you dare lie to me Benjamin Beast. The more you attempt to lie about this the more I want to spell you bald." Mal hisses angrily and Ben quickly shuts up. "I already know what is going on here. I overheard you both talking about it. I'm only mad that you lied to me. I'm not mad that you two found each other. I knew you were getting distant lately Ben, I'm not stupid. I had my suspicions but now I know for a fact." Mal takes a deep breath calming herself. "I'm happy for you both honestly, you clearly love each other and neither of you wanted to hurt me. I'm sorry you felt you couldn't talk to me about this. We can file for divorce and go back to being friends after alright? I love you Ben, and I just want you to be happy alright? I love you too Carlos and want you to be happy as well. I think you both have done enough lying however. I suggest you both come clean. I'm going to pack my things and stay with Doug and Evie for a while, give you two space. I'm happy for you two. I am." Mal smiled a bit and hugged them both before gathering her things in some luggage before leaving. It wasn't until well after she left that room that she cried.