Chapter 8

This is the second update today, so read Chapter 7 if you haven't already. Enjoy!

Chapter 8

Marinette's POV

"Are you sure you're making the right decision?" Tikki asked, floating in front of me as I sped along the path, face determined as I towards Luka's house. 

"Of course!" I panted. "I can't keep on lying to Luka!"

Tikki gasped and flew into my hair. I crashed into someone.

"Lying to me about what?" Luka stood in front of me, a confused look on his face.

I felt Tikki nuzzle my neck reassuringly as I gulped in a few deep breaths. "I don't th-think I'm ready f-for this d-dating y-yet. I-I know i-it's b-been a l-long time, b-but I h-haven't made
 m-myself clear."

"That you don't like me in the way I do?" Luka asked, tears forming in his eyes. Hurt was obvious in his expression. "Why not?" His gaze hardened. "Is it because of Agreste?" he choked out.

"No!" I replied to quickly. "It's because I just feel like we aren't meant for each other. My soulmark. It doesn't click with you."

"What if I told you my soulmark was a sewing needle and thread!" Luka showed me his soulmark that was printed on his elbow. "It's obviously you!"

"It just doesn't feel right," I murmured.

Luka's calm demeanour appeared. "When you have made your decision, come back to me." He spun on his heel, making his guitar clank alarmingly.

"Luka..." I trailed off, staring at his disappearing figure. 

"Don't worry Marinette," Tikki squeaked, but her eyes were filled with anxiety. "You told him the truth, and it took a lot of courage."

"But I broke his heart," those words made my heart shatter. I hated hurting anyone, even Chloe and Lila. "I don't like that."

"If you continue moping around like this, you might get akumatised, Marinette!" Tikki hissed from my hair.

I sighed and walked back home. My backpack was sliding under the weight of the Miracle Box. "This thing is heavy!" I grunted, heaving the straps over my shoulder.

"Need any help?" Adrien's voice asked. 

"Agghhh!" I stumbled backwards. He caught me and smiled.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Adrien said. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." A blush covered my cheeks as I realised he was still carrying me. Hurriedly, I scrambled out of his grasp.

"You need help?" Adrien gestured to my bag.

"Don't!" Tikki whispered from the pouch she had disappeared into. "It is your responsibility!"

"Nope!" I chuckled nervously, swinging the backpack out of his grasp. The street was empty, and it was only us two. For some reason, the weight of the Miracle Box crashed against the zipper. The zipper wasn't closed properly and it came tumbling out, the miraculouses tumbling out.

I heard Tikki curse inside my pocket. Adrien was looking at me, eyes wide as I knelt down and started gathering them up, stuffing them in my front pocket and shoving the box inside my bag. Then, I saw the goat miraculous on the road.

"No no no no no!" A car was driving towards the miraculous. I threw off my pouch, making Tikki squeak in pain. I dove for the hair clips, my breathing hitched. Picking them up, I saw the driver's eyes widen with horror. My instincts were sharpened from my time as Ladybug. "I'm not transformed," I muttered quickly. "But I can still do it."

Tires screeched as I jumped onto the bonnet, then jumped off, miraculouses still clutched in my hand tightly. I ran back to where Adrien was, slung my backpack over my shoulder, and sprinted towards the bakery, not knowing if he had figured out my identity. 

If Adrien was someone that kept up with Ladyblog, which was most likely, he would have been able to identify the symbol on the box.

"I'm so sorry Tikki!" I exclaimed, tears filling my eyes. "Master Fu would have never done this! He should have chosen Chat Noir for the guardian!"

Tikki nuzzled my shoulder. "Calm down Marinette. Adrien was the only one that actually saw the box. And you risked your life to save a miraculous. That's what a true guardian would do." My kwami smiled a sweet smile.

"Thanks Tikki." I dried my eyes and laid the box on the floor, carefully putting each miraculous into its slot. The pig miraculous was missing. "Tikki! The pig! Tikki spots..."

Chat sat on my bed, watching me. "Looking for this, milady?" He twirled a pearl anklet around. 

I tensed. "I'm not Ladybug!" I burst out.

He raised an eyebrow, gesturing to the Miracle Box and miraculouses. "Purrincess," Chat breathed, coming closer, pressing me against the wall. "Do you want me to reveal my identity?"

"No! Our identities must remain a secret." I pushed him away and snatched the anklet, placing it in its own section. "Even if you know mine, kitty."

Chat Noir sighed. "Goodnight bugaboo." He hopped out.

"That was bad." I buried my head in my hands. "I'm so sorry, Tikki."

"It could be worst," Tikki said softly. "I'll do your homework again. Go to bed."

I climbed into my bed and closed my eyes, the stress of nearly losing a miraculous still fresh in my mind. What if I just wasn't suitable to be a guardian and Ladybug?

The reason I did another update was to replace last week's. Expect a few more in the coming days.

-Miraculouses4Life