Chapter 14

Is anyone freaked out about the Coronavirus? I am. 

Thank you for 1K views!! Here's a chapter. Enjoy

Chapter 14

Marinette's POV

I simply stood there as Hawkmoth disappeared, my brain trying to think of a simple solution. "Are you an illusion too?" I whispered, gazing at Chat Noir, voice trembling.

Chat Noir frowned, wrapping his arms gently around me. "I'm real, all right," he murmured. "Do you know what that was?"

"An illusion," I replied dryly.

Frowning, Chat pulled away. "You know what I'm talking about, bugaboo."

"It was a prophetical illusion." I furrowed my brows. "I think. But that still doesn't explain Tikki...." I touched my earrings for comfort, silently wishing for my kwami's reassuring presence.

My partner caressed my cheek gently. "Tikki will get better," he said in a firm tone. He placed his gloved hand on his heart. "I know it."

I hid behind a tree and detransformed. Mullo floated out, looking extremely worried. "Tikki's condition's cause is unknown," she said gravely. "This has never happened before."

"I can tell." I opened my pouch and pulled out a cookie, offering it to Mullo. "Do you want it? This is the only food I have..."

A tapping on my shoulder made me jump. "We need to go," came Adrien's voice. He slipped his hand into mine and tugged me towards the school.

Ms Mendeleiev glowered at us as we stumbled into the classroom, hand in hand. I quickly sped into my seat, extremely conscious of Alya next to me. 

With hurt still embedded in her voice, she whispered, "What's up with you and Adrien?"

Not wanting her to know about my relationship with the model, I replied, "He just brought me in." I was aware that I had hurt her last night, but everything had to be a secret.

(A/N: I'm sorry if this is really confusing, but you'll understand as you progress through this and the next chapter!)

"Okay." Alya pushed her glasses back up and turned to concentrate on the teacher.

During the whole lesson, I couldn't concentrate. I was torn between keeping my identity a secret and my loyalty to my best friend. In the end, I decided to keep on keeping my identity a secret.

TIME SKIP

After school, Adrien was nowhere to be found, so I walked out of the school by myself. A hand stopped me. I raised my eyes, only to lock them with Luka's. 

"It has been to long, Marinette." Luka guided me to a more private area. "Have you made up your mind?"

Awkward silence met his question. Shifting uncomfortably, I fidgeted with the hem of my T-shirt.

"Marinette." Luka gripped my chin and raised my face up, forcing me to gaze into his blue eyes. "Tell me the truth."

I gulped as I spotted the determination. "Tell you the truth?" I squeaked. "Th-This is the truth!"

He stared at me. "I know you're lying. I know you all too well." He loosened his grip and let his hand fall back to his side. Doubt began to shimmer in his bright eyes.

"It's what I told you before," I began nervously. "I don't think we're meant for each other."

His gaze hardened. "Marinette! Just tell me the truth! Stop procrastinating!"

All my irritation spilled out. "Fine! I never liked you! You're just a close friend to me!" I gasped when I realised what I just said. 

I knew I would remember this moment for the rest of my life. It would haunt me anytime, anywhere. Nightmares would be about this. And I would feel the sharp pain every time I recalled this. The heartbreak of hurting my friend where it would hurt most. 

It hit Luka hard. His blue eyes clouded, looking unseeingly into the distance. He simply froze, his face growing pale.

"Luka..." I reached for his arm, but he drew it away. "But your friendship means a lot to me. And I don't want to lose it."

After a long pause, he finally spoke.

"You've made you're decision." Luka's voice was monotone. Expressionless. Any trace of the friendly teenager was gone. "You lied to me." He turned his eyes away. "And you played with my feelings."

"Luka!" I protested as he slowly walked away. Pain filled my chest and I clutched it, slumping against a tree. Heartbroken. Tears streaked down my cheeks. Mullo popped her head out.

"Marinette..." She nuzzled my palm.

I didn't respond to her gesture. All I wanted was Tikki. My kwami's wisdom and reassurance. Just her presence made things better and the feeling that I always had someone I trusted my life with. I missed Tikki. So much that I could sob for a day. Or lie in bed.

My eyes squeezed shut, tears still pouring out. There was nothing that could heal a heartbroken heart. All I wanted was Tikki or a warm and comforting embrace from Adrien.

I shakily stood up, knees trembling. I held on to the tree trunk for support, and put one foot in front of the other. I slowly walked back home, staring at the ground.

The singing from Andre made me look up. His ice cream cart was parked nearby and he was smiling joyfully. His jolly demeanour was infectious. But not infectious enough.

I slouched and shuffled forward. 

But then, I heard something. Giggling. And the voice of Kagami. I looked up. My eyes widened, mouth opening and left hanging. The golden hair of Adrien brushed with hers.

My tears stopped for a second. And came down.

A sob escaped my lips, making them turn their heads. I began running, ignoring Adrien's loud exclamation. When I reached my house, I ran up the stairs, ignoring my parents' horrified expressions. 

A loud slam sounded as I raced into my room, throwing my bags on to the floor, barely hearing Mullo's squeak of pain. I flopped face first on to my bed, my tears soaking through the blanket. 

Was it even possible to recover from this heartbreak?

-Miraculouses4Life