Chapter 23

I've run out of ideas. No, that does not mean I'm going to stop writing this fanfic. I just have very severe writer's block. 

Chapter 23

Marinette's POV

I was falling into a dark abyss. My hair was messed up, flying everywhere. The harsh wind rushed against my face as I tumbled further in. I flailed my arms, trying to find something to grip on to, even though I knew it was hopeless. 

With a quick glance below me, I could see the never ending chasm starting to end. The rock hard ground was rising up to meet me. My eyes grew wide with panic, and I desperately twisted, searching the towering walls for something, anything.

A silver pole shot out below me. My eyes instantly went to a black cat like figure that was gripping on to stones jutting out of the cliff. His green eyes looked at me invitingly to grab the pole so that he could rescue me.

My brain screamed for me to grab it. My body defied its orders. My fingers brushed against the smooth, metal surface, before I was torn away from it. 

Chat widened his eyes. "Marinette!" he yelled, letting go of the stone and plummeting down beside me. His arms wrapped around my waist. "This won't hurt you," he whispered, his green eyes closing as the ground made impact with his body.

I screamed as Chat's arms loosened around me, slumping to the ground. His face was white, and my fingers brushed against his head, blood coating my fingers then spreading all over my hand before pooling on the floor in a small puddle.

"Chat," I whispered, tears streaming down my cheeks as I rested my cheek on his still chest. "You shouldn't have done that."

I jolted awake, only succeeding in banging my head against the rim of a garbage bin and groaning as I sank back against the wall. Bringing my hand up, I rubbed the back of it against my wet eyes, my tear stained cheeks slightly flushed.

My forehead throbbed with a dull sensation, and my chest ached with an unknown pain. I furrowed my brows, sucking in a sharp breath as I caught sight of a tiny, seemingly lifeless body laying on my lap.

"T-Tikki," I stuttered, fresh tears springing to my eyes. I scooped her up gently, caressing her body with my fingers. "What have I done..."

"Marinette!" a tiny voice squeaked.

Averting my eyes up, I was able to see the blur of Mullo's body rushing down before she stopped abruptly right in front of my face. 

Her eyes were round with obvious relief. "Are you okay?" she asked, her eyes sweeping over my body. Mullo's shoulders drooped, and I followed her gaze to see it resting on my kwami.

"It's my fault," I told her flatly, stomach churning with unease. "All my fault."

Mullo sighed. "It isn't your fault, Mari. If previous miraculous holders were confronted with the same situation, they wouldn't be able to fight off Hawkmoth like you did."

"I wasn't strong enough," I continued, ignoring Mullo. "I could have tried harder to keep him from invading my mind. I-"

"You tried your best," Mullo stated grimly. "You couldn't do anything else."

"My best wasn't good enough," I retorted.

"For god's sake, Marinette!" Mullo exclaimed, frustrated. "You did your best, and no one can compete with what you did. You managed to drive Hawkmoth out! Hawkmoth! The villain that-"

"I get the idea," I interrupted harshly. "But this wouldn't have happened if I-"

Mullo glared at me, and I pursed my lips to prevent my next words from spilling out. 

"Fine," I grumbled. "Let's get back to Adrien and Plagg." My head spun as I got up, leaning against the wall for support. Tikki remained in my palm, my fingers building a cave like shelter around her.

The mouse kwami waited patiently for me, concern glimmering in her pink eyes. 
(A/N: Is it pink?)

The world finally stopped spinning, and I limped after Mullo. She glanced warily around before deciding to hover right next to my head, darting into my hair whenever someone would walk by.

I nearly tripped as I pushed open the bakery door. Through my blurry vision, I stumbled up the stairs before tumbling – literally – into my room.

Tikki fell out of my hand as I collapsed onto the floor.

"Marinette?" Adrien's voice was pained, yet it was filled with worry.

"She just needs rest," I heard Mullo explain quietly. "Fighting off Hawkmoth sucks a lot of-" she stopped abruptly, and deathly silence stretched out.

"What?" I questioned as everything became clearer. I crawled towards Tikki, standing up and placing her gently on my desk before turning to Adrien. 

My heart stopped completely. Beside Adrien, a dark grey shape vaguely resembling a kwami lay on the bed, motionless. My eyes travelled to my desk, black foam slowly dispersing into nothing.

"No..." I closed my eyes, clenching my hands into tight fists, willing Plagg to be floating around with a slice of Camembert clutched in his paw. But when I opened them again, Plagg still lay lifeless on my bed and Adrien's expression remained shocked. "Why...just why?"

"Marinette," Adrien said softly. He winced as he moved his hand to touch Plagg. 

My feet moved to the bed, and I found myself sitting next to him, tears running down my cheeks. Adrien put his arm around me, and I felt his body tense with excruciating pain, but he didn't remove it. Instead, he drew me closer to him, and I cuddled closer, aching for comfort.

"We didn't do anything to deserve this," I cried. 

Adrien pressed his lips to my forehead, and I stiffened slightly before relaxing. "You're right," he murmured. "We didn't do anything to deserve this. Plagg and Tikki, they didn't do anything either. It's Hawkmoth's fault. All of it."

"How would Master Fu react to my failure?" I uttered suddenly.

Adrien didn't respond, turning his body so I could put my arms around him. He winced again, and I withdrew myself hurriedly before he stopped me, our faces inches from each other.

"You didn't fail," Adrien whispered, bringing up his hand to caress my cheek. "Master Fu would be proud of you. You did everything you could. Most of it are things that other miraculous holders, including myself, would never be able to achieve."

"It isn't enough." Normally, our proximity would make my brain stop functioning, but with the current situation, it was the last thing on my mind. "Tikki is still sick. Plagg just became sick. And I couldn't do anything to prevent it. Don't you call that failure?"

"No." Adrien's firm response made my heart stutter. "It was bound to happen."

"But..."

"No buts." Adrien lifted his finger to my lips, silencing me. "Things always happens for a reason, Mari. And we'll find out why this happened to the kwamis sooner or later."

Okay...

That was a terrible chapter ngl. 

-Miraculouses4Life