Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Adrien's POV

"Die!" A dark figure screamed, stabbing a silver blade into my mother's heart. 

"No!" I yelled, sobs wracking my whole body as I dangled from a firm grip on me prevented me from running away from the gruesome sight. "Stop it!"

"No." The figure's voice was ice cold, yet familiar. "You deserve to feel the pain that I felt when I saw my family getting ripped away from me."

I hung my head as the grip on my collar tightened. Despair washed over me as a someone's warm breath brushed over my ear.

"Yes," the figure growled, voice triumphant. "I want you to feel the pain I felt. Yes, Adrien, yes!"

"Mum!" I yelled as the figure released me. I dropped to my knees, crawling over to her and lifting the dark hoodie off her. Shock pulsed through me as messy raven blue hair brushed against my hands, matted with a dark red liquid that could only be identified as blood. "Marinette?"

"I would never kill your mother." The voice sounded choked with sorrow before it hardened again. "But I can kill the ones that mean nothing to me, but everything to you."

Tears ran down my cheeks, falling on to Marinette's black hoodie. I hoisted her up, and her head flopped on to my lap. 

"Please," I begged the stranger, turning my head to meet his eyes. Ice blue coloured, they unflinchingly met mine, and an uneasy feeling settled in as I averted my gaze to Marinette's blank face.

"No." The response was firm and short, but the word sliced through my heart. "Your only mistake, Adrien. The only mistake that will be felt with the whole entire heart. It was choosing Marinette over Kagami."

The voice faded, and the figure became encased in thick smoke. Then, the unblinking eyes bore into my back, disappeared in a wisp of smoke.

"Marinette," I whispered as the world turned black, my fingers fingering her hair.

I jolted awake, sweat pouring down my temples, my body trembling. It was still bright, sunlight streaming through the windows of my bedroom. The golden glow reached me, warming my skin as I stepped out of bed, my figure soaked with sweat.

The dream, actually nightmare, had seemed so real. I could still feel the wind racing through my hair as my mind replayed the way the silver blade glinted in the faint moonlight before being thrust into her chest.

My back rested against the wall as I slid down, my knees pressed to my chest. At this time, I longed for my kwami's presence and his green, cheeky orbs that dared me to challenge his thinking.

A sudden commotion outside made me raise my head. A black figure appeared, just like my nightmare, except this time, it was Camera Man. 

"Ladybug! Chat Noir! Give me your miraculouses!" he roared, and a flash of light made me stumble backwards. 

Well, I can't give you my miraculous because I don't have one, I thought bitterly.

I stood up, my legs shaking as I took slow steps towards my desk. Yesterday came rushing back to me. The tears I produced as I sat down at the bench in the park.

The inquisitive glances sent my way as they recognised me as Gabriel Agreste, the famous fashion designer's son. The sobs that rippled through my body made all the people in the park hurry away, knowing I needed to be alone.

That was what happened if your father or mother was famous. Your every single move was calculated and assessed, then the news team would broadcast it to the world. You didn't have any privacy, even when you longed to be in isolation. There was always someone watching you.

But when I was with Marinette, she made me feel like I was her equal, and not some famous, high and mighty model. She liked me for who I was, not what I was. But what about Kagami? She was often difficult to read, and the only time she would crack a smile was when she was around me.

My green eyes closed, and my head rested against the wall. I let my hands drop to the ground as I recalled everything that had happened in the past few weeks.

I could even hear Plagg's voice as clear as ever. "Adrien! Adrien!" I frowned. Why was he calling me? "You need to transform!"

Realising that I could actually hear Plagg's voice, I opened my eyes, and Plagg hovered in front of me, the silver ring clutched in his tiny paws.

"Transform," he ordered. A wave of sympathy washed through his green eyes before they became demanding again.

"Wh-What?" My mind was slow as I tried to comprehend the tiny kwami floating in front of me.

"Adrien!" Plagg glared at me. "Have you never seen me before? Transform! We need to defeat Camera Man."

In a daze, I transformed and leapt out the window. Rena Rouge and Carapace nodded at me briefly before turning to face the villain again.

My movements were slow and uncalculated. I dodged a flash by a centimetre before ducking behind a building that disappeared as soon as the flash engulfed it. 

All I could think about at this moment was Marinette. Where was she? My eyes examined Camera Man closely, not paying attention to my surroundings. The Akuma had to be in his camera. I frowned, somersaulting off the building, aiming for another. 

But obviously, my mind was elsewhere, and I had mistimed my jump, because I found myself rushing towards the building face first. Instinctively, I put my arm in front of me. Pain tore through my arm as I collided with the roof. I groaned, my hand and arm numb from the excruciating pain.

I couldn't feel anything. I ran my other hand along my arm, whimpering as I lay on my back. An arm wrapped around my waist and Carapace's green suit came into view.

"You alright, Chat Noir?" he asked, his voice filled with worry.

I groaned, and nodded my head, even though I was in so much pain I couldn't even speak. Once he let go of me, I collapsed back down.

"You're not okay, Chat." Rena Rouge's voice rang out. She motioned for Carapace to use his power.

"Shell-ter!" Carapace yelled. The green orb formed around me and I looked at it in wonder, touching it with my uninjured hand, injury forgotten for a brief moment.

"Thanks," I whispered.

A grin grew across Carapace's face. "No problem, du-Chat."

I brushed my fingers gently against my elbow, yelping out in pain at the briefest contact. I couldn't move or bend my arm, and I cradled it against my chest.

A flash made me spin dizzily, and the green orb around me slowly crumbled. My two teammates looked at me in horror as I sailed across the city.

The last thing I remembered was the resounding sound of glass smashing, and the impact of hitting the floor.

Updates will return to normal. Thank you for waiting this out with me!

-Miraculouses4Life