40

Arkyn left the couple for ten minutes so that Kol could explain that he wouldn't necessarily die to his girlfriend. He called back Alexis, and managed to talk her out of coming to New Orleans, at least until after he had a chance to see her on the weekend. There was no point, she wouldn't get to New Orleans in time to get to actually see Kol, anyway. It would be too late.

When Arkyn got back to the playhouse, he saw Kol and Davina embracing.
"Not to ruin your moment, but there's only so much time we have. Kol, I'm going to need access to your archives. And any contacts you think might be helpful."
"Yeah." Kol sighed, picking up a pen and an empty journal. Davina looked at him.
"So Kol's linked to you?"
"Yeah."
"Why not Klaus? No offence, but he's more powerful. It'd give us more time."
"Klaus has to look out for his daughter. He can't afford to be at half strength."
"Can you?" Davina asked.
"There's literally nothing in the world I care about more than Kol. I'll be fine as long as we can save him."
"Assuming you can even plunge the dagger into my heart."
"Would you rather I asked Klaus to?"
"Does he even know about the spell?"
"Probably a matter of time before he does. Rebekah was here when we came up with it, remember?"
"What does it matter if Klaus knows? Do you think he'd try to stop you?"
"He probably wouldn't be too thrilled about Ark diverting half his energy into keeping me alive."
"Do we have to tell him?"
"You want us to lie?" Arkyn asked.
"Like you've never lied to Klaus before."
"I'm offended. Kol, what have you been poisoning the girl's mind with?"
"You lied to Klaus about having called Mikael into town to protect Rebekah." Kol reminded him.
"Are you saying you won't lie to Klaus to protect Kol?"
"Oh, I will. I just wanted to know what exactly Kol told you about me."
"Not much. He's only mentioned you a couple times."
"That's probably a good thing."
"Why?"
"People who get to know me usually end up dead."
"You have children, Ark. Alexis and Xavier have known you for two decades, give or take a couple years, and they're still alive."
"Their mother isn't."
"You can't blame yourself for cancer."
"Have you written down all your locations and contacts?" He changed the subject.
"Yes. Here." Kol closed the book and held it out to Arkyn. He looked through to find that Kol had filled out a good few pages with addresses, and instructions and names.
"Thanks. I'll start collecting things from this country first." Arkyn looked at his brother, torn between wanting to spend more time with him and letting him have a few more moments alone with his girlfriend.
"If Bonnie does come back, you should look her up. She's brought quite a few people back from the dead, our mother included."
"Has the curse gotten to your brain? You want me to trust Bonnie with you?"
"Not my body. But you have to admit, she is powerful. You could pick her brains for information."
"You want me to use her?"
"Arkyn, you know what I mean."
"I do not." Kol looked frustrated. "I should go get your new coffin ready. Nik will know if I take yours." Arkyn left before Kol could protest.
"Are you sure we can trust Arkyn?" Davina asked Kol.
"If there is absolutely anything I am sure of, it's that. Ark's nothing like the rest of our siblings. He's the closest to innocent we can get as Mikaelsons. Ark would never put anything before me. The two of us never really fit in so well with the rest of our siblings."
"Oh."
"If there's anything you need, ask Arkyn. He may be Rebekah's twin, but they're nothing alike."
"Okay."
"This Ark that you see is just a defence mechanism. Last time he let someone in, she betrayed him."
"Bonnie?"
"Yeah. He loved her and trusted her, and in return she helped our mother try to kill us all. After that he decided it'd be safer to get Lex and Xavier out of town and offered for me to go with him."
"I find it hard to believe that your family would let her live after she tried to kill you."
"Arkyn doesn't really care much for violence and killing. Nik figured leaving her to live with the fact that she tried to kill the man she loved was punishment enough. Rebekah just does whatever Klaus tells her to and Elijah was out of town."
"What about you? I know you have a... less than desirable past."
"I do, but Arkyn doesn't fall in love easily. He's only done so twice in his entire life. The first woman he loved was killed. I couldn't do that to him again."
"Okay." She sighed. "If you say to trust him, I will. I guess he's not so bad if he's willing to do anything to keep you alive."
"There is a very real possibility that he won't be able to actually put the dagger in my heart. He has a complicated history with daggers. If that happens, I'll need you to do it."
"I thought you said being daggered is like going to sleep."
"It is. But there was a time where Klaus did more than just dagger him. Ark never did really get over it. He mostly just suppresses his emotions." Kol held Davina's hands. "I know it's not fair to ask this of you either, but I'd lose control of my hands before I could fully dagger myself."
"It's the only way to keep you alive for now. If Arkyn can't, I promise I will." She vowed and he smiled gratefully.
"One last dance?" Kol asked. She nodded, and put her arms around his neck as he encircled his around her waist.
"We'll find a cure." She told him.
"If you haven't in a year, then you'll need to undagger me. I'll be sharing Ark's life force, and there's only so long he can support us both before suffering fatal consequences."
"Fatal?"
"Yeah, fatal." Davina looked startled, but didn't reply. A little while later Arkyn came back. He cleared his throat to make himself known.
"Ready?" He asked.
"As I'll ever be." Kol replied. He looked at Davina one last time before turning to his brother. Arkyn dipped the dagger in the white oak ash and walked forwards. He gripped Kol's shoulder with one hand. Kol nodded at him encouragingly as he aimed the tip of the dagger on Kol's heart. He closed his eyes and steeled his nerves.
"I promise to bring you back, brother."
"I know." Kol nodded. He gripped Arkyn's wrist. "Now quit stalling." Arkyn looked mournful as he plunged the dagger into Kol's heart. He caught his brother from falling on the floor.