48

Arkyn got back to the apartment just after Bonnie. She'd already set up for the spell. She looked up as he walked in.
"I just need your blood, now." She said. He walked over to her, sitting cross legged opposite her set up. He held out his hand and she pricked his index finger before turning it upside down to let his blood drip on the paper below. She picked up a small pouch and psychically lit it on fire. Thick white smoke dispersed around them as she chanted her spell. He watched at his blood separated, first into two blobs, then three and four, then six. It stopped moving and the paper caught on fire. It left behind six scorch marks. "There are five other relatives of yours." She said, concentrating. "These four are directly related to you. That one.. see how it's not as big as the other scorch marks. Still big, you share a very close ancestor, but not as closely related as the others."
"Dahlia." He said. "My aunt, I guess. So her story's true. Me, Klaus, Elijah, Mikael and Freya and Dahlia."
"What about Rebekah?"
"Another body. She doesn't technically share blood with me right now."
"Right."
"Thank you." He said. "For everything, the whole thing with Josephine, and this spell, and for not going after Mikael."
"Well, I'm here for you, and I know you've got to do all this stuff so the way I see it- I help you, I get to spend time with you."
"That's true."
"Plus I definitely owe it to you to help for once. You always helped me. It's my turn."
"I didn't help you as a favour to be repayed in the future."
"I know. You did it because you loved me. And right now, I'm helping you because I love you too." His phone chimed with a text.
"Love me enough for a brunch with my siblings?" He asked after reading it. He held it out to her.
"Klaus wants me there."
"You don't have to."
"Well, I am a little hungry." She said. "And I'm going to have to face your siblings someday. Why not today?"
"It won't be a pleasant brunch. Nik's made his opinion of Freya very clear."
"He doesn't like her?"
"We're not sure if she's good or bad. Her presence here has been very confusing. But if she's good, then her help against Dahlia will be invaluable. She's spent a thousand years with her."
"Are you sure she's on your side? A thousand years- even you never wanted to see Klaus dead."
"That's the question."

Arkyn and Bonnie made a slight detour to check on Rebekah before going to visit Klaus. He came upon a crowd rioting before him.
"Take her." Josephine said and two men beside her stepped forward. Arkyn motioned for Bonnie to stay where she was, before striding forward.
"I wouldn't if I were you." He said, reaching the front of the crowd. He smiled pleasantly at the leader of the group. "Ms. LaRue. It would be a great shame for you to go back on your word so soon, don't you think? Now, I am sorry for your loss, but Marcellus is telling the truth. My sister Rebekah now occupies the body of Eva Sinclair, and she is innocent of the crime you accuse her of. I have held up to my end of the bargain and returned to you Vincent Griffith. Unharmed. And I will aid you in finding the true culprit if you wish, but my sister is under my care and my protection."
"I can only promise to hold my people off until tomorrow. After that, it won't matter what I say, witches will stop at nothing to protect their children. That's an impulse I know you can respect." She said.
"Then I suppose it's time you took your leave, isn't it?" She nodded and left, the crowd along with her. Rebekah turned to him.
"Ark-"
"Yeah, I know. Can't believe I'm saying this, but stick with Marcel. He'll keep you safe."
"You just handed Vincent back over?" Marcel scoffed. Arkyn rolled his eyes at his sister.
"You're with her." Rebekah defended, recognising the look he sent her. "You can't judge me."
"I didn't say anything."
"You didn't have to."

Arkyn and Bonnie arrived at the compound before Freya, but after Elijah.
"Brother, welcome." Klaus greeted.
"Thanks, are we late?" He asked.
"Just a little."
"Miss Bennett." Elijah looked at them in surprise. "I wasn't aware you were in New Orleans. Or alive."
"I came back two days ago, and came to New Orleans yesterday." She shrugged.
"If I may, is there a reason you're here?"
"Do I need one?"
"Considering your history with my family, I'd say yes."
"Lay off a little, 'Lijah. She's just taking a vacation from Mystic Falls." Arkyn cut his brother off. Klaus looked at Bonnie who held an alcohol bottle.
"Is that for me?" He smirked, and she glared. She looked at Arkyn, before forcing a fake smile onto her face.
"Yes." She held it out.
"Bourbon. My favourite." She shifted uncomfortably as he teased her. "How did you know?"
"It's an olive branch." She crossed her arms, standing up straight. "A truce, not a friendship."
"That's a shame."
"It's all I got. Take it or leave it."
"You understand I'll never trust you?"
"Nor I you. But I'm not here to hurt your family. I just wanted to see Ark."
"Then a truce it is, but fair warning. If you betray my family again-"
"I'll end up in pieces, or someone I love will end up in pieces. I got it the last time." Klaus just grinned in response.
"Great, now his ego's inflated." Arkyn teased his brother.
"What ego?"
"Oh, look. He made a joke." Arkyn winked at Bonnie.
"Hilarious." She said, without much enthusiasm. Arkyn looked at Elijah.
"On a scale of one to ten, how much do you suppose he'll offend our newfound sister?"
"Oh, come now. No scale could accurately measure Niklaus's ability to offend."