49

Eventually Freya came and Klaus welcomed her in. She smiled at them and looked around, noticing the objects they had laying around.
"This witch-hoop, it's Danish. Is this from when you all lived in Copenhagen in the 1500s?" She picked up the object. Bonnie looked at Arkyn, a glint in her eyes as she remembered their own fond memories in the city.
"Quite the eye!" Klaus praised.
"Forgive me, are we here to discuss family heirlooms, or do we have more pressing concerns?"
"Please excuse my brother's lack of decorum. He's been in a foul mood of late. But, he is right. I did ask you here in the hopes that you would share some of Dahlia's secrets. So, without further ado, let's get to it!"
"God, it's like freaky Friday in here." Bonnie muttered softly, and Arkyn let out a small smile. "Hello, I'm Bonnie."
"It's nice to meet you." Freya shook her hand before they moved to the table.
"Likewise."
"So you two are...?" Freya asked.
"We're, um," Arkyn looked at Bonnie. What could you call their relationship?
"Complicated." Bonnie answered, eventually.
"To clarify, you two aren't together?" Klaus asked.
"Why don't we start eating?" Arkyn ignored his brother.

"You said Dahlia would come after Hope. Why?" Arkyn questioned, the awkwardness too suffocating.
"The first thing you should know is that Dahlia is the most powerful witch I've ever seen. She craves more power still. Right now she is like me. Limited to one year of life in a century. But, she wants to be free of that restriction. To gain true immortality. And that is why she will come here drawn by your daughter, to take the child's power for herself. And she would kill anyone who would defy her." Freya said gravely.
"And yet you would defy her?"
"I don't have a choice. She will never let me be free. My one chance is to align with you and kill her."
"Well, now that we're all suitably motivated, let's talk specifics." Klaus grinned. It was unsettling- Arkyn knew Klaus didn't play well with anyone. Especially not strangers claiming to be family and warning of dangers to his child.
"For you to understand, I need to start from the beginning." Freya said, and delved into a story. A story of the woman who had taken her from her family, who had bonded their magic together to forge a new brand of connective magic that would enable the woman to draw from her power. A story of a woman, so drunk by the wealth of power in her grasp. A story of the horror and darkness she inflicted to prove her might. "She killed an entire village- men, women, children- with a wave of her hand. Because the chief accused her of witchcraft. That was my first inkling of the power Dahlia had. Over the course of a thousand years, she's only grown stronger." She looked at Klaus, a haunted look on her face. "And she will bring all her power to bear against you when she comes for your child." Arkyn's phone rang and Klaus looked at him pointedly.
"Excuse me." He said, seeing the caller ID. Bonnie looked at him, panic crossing her face for a split second. He gave her hand a quick reassuring squeeze before leaving the table as he answered the phone.
"I just met your Caitlyn. Officially."
"She's not my- Rebekah, please tell me you're with your boyfriend."
"Not my boyfriend, and I'm not with him right now."
"Where are you? It's not safe to be out and about."
"Oh, relax. I'm with Davina. Figured maybe she could help out."
"Where's Marcellus?"
"Arkyn, I know you're worried but I can look after myself, remember? I don't need to be babysat. I don't need you acting like Nik and Elijah."
"Fair point. Why don't you come here? Family brunch, and all. You should be here too."
"You'll stop smothering me?"
"Promise."
"Alright I'll see you soon." Arkyn walked back to the table and Klaus continued to question the newest Mikaelson.
"Your stories are fascinating, and Dahlia does indeed sound dreadful, but my family and I have killed our fair share of evil witches."
"Not like her." She denied.
"And what are her weaknesses?" Elijah sipped his tea.
"She's paranoid. Obsessed with power. She hungers constantly for what's been denied her, be it love, or revenge."
"Yes," Elijah looked over at Klaus and Arkyn smirked. "I believe we're familiar with the type."
"When I was a child, she would tell me tales of her own youth, being victimized by those stronger than her. Dahlia vowed never to be weak again. She bargained for the firstborn of Esther's bloodline, intending to raise us in her own image, forming a coven of her own from which she could draw endless power. That plan was foiled the day she learned that Esther had ended her bloodline by turning her children into vampires. And so the burden fell to me. Dahlia demanded that I bear the firstborn that would add to her power, but, I would not allow a child of mine to live as I did. As a slave. So, I vowed never to love. Never to have a child of my own." Her eyes began to water as she tried to blink back tears. "Of course, the more I resisted, the harder Dahlia fought to control me. Until the day that she took the last of what little freedom I had left. She bound us with a spell. To sleep for a century only to wake up and live for a year with all the power we'd accumulated in our sleep. That has been the existence I've suffered for the last ten centuries." Bonnie looked at her, her eyes wide with horror. Klaus didn't seem quite so affected as he let out a laugh.
"Well, that's quite the ordeal, isn't it? But, it does beg the question. Why not end it yourself? A high enough bridge, a tight enough noose?" He shrugged as though it wasn't a big deal. "You must have considered it."
"Nik!" Arkyn looked at him sharply.
"It's a valid question." He replied and Arkyn shook his head.
"Freya-" Arkyn started but she cut him off.
"Long ago, I did consider it. But, Dahlia would never give me even that freedom. I would later learn that the spell made me like her immortal and impervious to harm. So, you see, I am like you, a creature of great power, cursed for all time."