CHAPTER TWO

The bedroom felt lonely. Without Cami in here, it felt like it was darker than usual. I couldn't help but to wonder where she disappeared to, so I went downstairs and found her sitting next to Ma, talking to her on the couch. Cami stopped in the middle of her sentence as soon as she spotted me. Her mouth locked shut, her eyes glued to my silhouette in the middle of the doorway. Ma turned her head and placed her attention onto me. The entire room fell silent.

"Hey, I'm sorry for interrupting, I just wanted to...know where the cake mix is."

"Cake mix? Why are you worried about cake right now? Is everything okay?"

"I guess, I just want cake."

"Well honey, I kind of wanted to talk to you."

"What about?"

"Sit down."

Cami glared at me as I sat in a chair across from them. Once again the room fell silent. I decided to break it by saying,

"I just want to make cake so can we speed this up?

I didn't really want cake, nor did I feel I had the energy to make it. But maybe satisfying myself with something sweet wouldn't be so bad after all.

"Honey, Cami explained how she felt to me, and I think you guys need to talk and listen to what each other have to say."

"I am not talking to her."

"So much for caring about me. Oh right you never did, you only care about yourself!" Cami snapped in my direction.

"Why should I talk to you after how you treat me?"

"I treat you like this cuz you're a self centered bitch! You always have been!"

"We'll maybe I'm self centered because you're too bitchy!"

"Okay girls, this isn't what I had in mind. Try again, nicely."

"I don't want to try! I'm going back upstairs!"

Cami fled the living room and once more disappeared. This time, back to the bedroom."

I rolled my eyes and sighed in disbelief, then turned my attention back to Ma, who was looking right at me.

"Come, sit." She gestured next to her.

I wilted onto the cushion where Cami had her ass placed, not knowing what to say or how to even react. I knew that Ma was gonna try pep talking me though, and I was too damn annoyed at Cami to even wanna make up with her.

"Honey, your sister is really upset."

"Like I should even care?"

"You should because she's your blood related fraternal twin sister and she does love u very much. But she feels like you don't care about her at all because of how u act. Please tell her to come down here."

"Heck no!"

"Cat, talk to her!"

"How can I?"

"Same way you're talking to me."

"I don't even wanna talk to her."

"She has never been this upset in all these years I've raised you girls she never has shown this much emotional pain."

"And this is my problem how?"

"Because you don't treat her with respect. I know you care about her and I know you guys aren't seeing eye to eye, and I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told her. It's just as much your fault as it is her's. And I said the same exact words to her. You're family, not foe. And school starts up next month on the 8th, you need to make up with her."

I thought for a moment about her words as they vibrated through my mind like a ps4 controller when an enemy is fighting your character.

"Fine," I said. "I'll talk to her."

Ma pulled me into her arms for a hug and embraced me tightly. Never have I been hugged by her this much. Last time I remember hugging her this long was on my thirteenth birthday when she got me that holiday Barbie doll for my childhood. I was just as ecstatic as a kid in the candy store. I pulled away after a couple seconds, walked into the hall and and stopped at the top of the stairs. Knowing Cami was up there, I really didn't wanna face her. But I knew Ma was right. Leave it to Ma's words of wisdom to make me do the right thing.

When I entered the bedroom, Cami was once again on her laptop watching dance tutorials on YouTube. She looked up at me only for a second before turning her focus back onto the screen.
Silence filled the room around us, and all I could think about was the sweat that dripped from my head. I could feel it coming out of my pores. Before I let myself freeze up too much, I spoke.

"Hey...Cami, I-"

"Save it! I know you're only talking to me cuz Ma asked you to."

"Were you listening?"

"No but I know how her mind and your mind work."

"Ma was right tho. Can we please talk?"

"Yes, anything for the princess."

"Cami, I'm serious."

"Yeah okay. What is it?"

I sat on the foot of her bed.

"Look," I began. "About how I acted earlier, I guess I was wrong for taking it out on you. And I'm sorry."

"That's it?"

"Yeah why?"

"This has been going on for years. You've always came first and I always came last! It's whatever I'm used to it by now."

Cami's expression turned back to glum. Dreariness in her eyes, she continued to turn her full attention onto her laptop screen.

"Cami-"

"Just save it. I'm going to bed soon."

"Without any dinner?"

"I ate. Why do you care?"

"Cami, you're my sister. Why shouldn't I care. I'm sorry!"

"Yeah right. Just leave me alone."

I wanted to speak more words. To show her that I cared, but didn't know how.

***

The days marched on and before I knew it, the month had passed by. September had arrived and Cami and I barely spoke throughout the rest of August. Our speaking terms still lacking quality, my wants still lacking quantity. Cami ended up getting the spare room down the hall so that was a plus, but it felt like our bond was almost dead. To make matters worse, tomorrow was going to be our first day at PCA. I had never been to a boarding school before, but tonight I was prepared. Everything was ready to go. My luggage, some personal belongings and special ones. A comforter for my bed and pillows and my favorite, the tv.

Although Cami got her own room, she wouldn't be able to enjoy being alone for long. Sadly, at PCA, we have to share a room with each other again. Not alone or with other girls. I suspected that was better than sharing with strangers, but our bond was like I said, almost dead.