Chapter 35: Epilogue: Dreaming of This Day

Mal's PoV:
Sitting straight up in the bed Ben and I shared, I awoke in a panic. I had so much to do today. I had to make sure everything was set up and that everything and everyone was ready and I had to get ready myself... There was so much to do and I didn't know where to start.
Today was the day I would be crowned Queen of Auradon. And all though Ben already saw me as his equal, everyone else would too. I had never imagined this would be my life, or that I could be this happy. The daughter of the greatest villains, being crowned Queen of Auradon. Wow...
I should be nervous and I guess I kind of was. Honestly though, I was more excited than anything. Plus, it was hard to be nervous when I had so much to do and so much on my mind. I had to be prepared in every aspect for today and I had to make sure everything was packed for both Ben and I for tonight when we left for our honeymoon. I was so excited we were finally getting one. Too bad he wouldn't tell me where we were going.
         In a rush I got out of our bed, but I also moved carefully so that I didn't wake my sleeping husband next to me. I grabbed my golden silk robe with the embroidered M in royal blue and slipped it on. I moved quickly and carefully around the room, well as best I could at least.
There were boxes everywhere considering I had just moved all of my stuff in, again. I knew Evie could show up at any minute to get me ready, so I wanted to get everything else done first.
After standing in the middle of the room, the morning sunlight streaming in through the cracked curtains, looking around at our disaster of a room, I decided on what to do first. I made my way into my very large walk in closet and grabbed my large purple printed Vera Bradley bag. I then began packing for the honeymoon. Except I didn't know what to pack.
"Going somewhere?" I jumped up startled. Clutching my chest I turned around to see Ben leaning against the door frame. Ben chuckled, probably at my distressed state. He had messy bed hair and my favorite crooked smile on his face. "Actually I am, but I don't know where.."
"Well why don't you go make some tea and relax before Evie comes and I'll pack for both of us since I don't have to do much to get ready." He saw my mouth open, as I was about to object. But, before I could he spoke again as he walked over to me and put his hands on my upper arms softly and in a reassuring way.
         "Listen, Evie knows where we are going. She told me exactly what to pack for you before she adds in a few last minute purchases. I do know how to pack clothes and shoes, thanks to her. And I can definitely pack my own stuff. This is a very big day for you and I want you to be as relaxed as you can." He pulled me to my feet and hugged me tightly. As he kissed my forehead he whispered to me, "you deserve this so much Mal. I know you're going to make a brilliant Queen."
         As he let me go we exchanged 'I love yous'  and I left him alone in my closet to go to the kitchen. He was right. Tea would help me relax and I should eat something. Even something small, which is all I could handle since I felt like I was going to vomit. The nerves were starting to really kick in.
And I knew they were nerves since Ben and I were waiting for our honeymoon to go 'all the way', there was no way I could be pregnant. There was another scary thought, not to mention more pressure on me. Helping to create and carry a child, and not just an child the future heir to Auradon's throne. Damn...
In the kitchen I found Belle, Adam, and Mrs. Potts. Belle and Adam had come back from their new home to help Ben and I (mostly me) prepare for today. Mrs. Potts was making breakfast , thank god, and my in-laws were at the kitchen table chatting. They stopped when I walked in as did Mrs. Potts.
"Good morning your majesty." She greeted me sweetly. "Breakfast dear?" I nodded eagerly as I sat across from Belle. "And some tea please." She nodded in response to my needs.
"Well if it isn't our beautiful daughter-in-law and future Queen!" Belle set down her mug and took my hands in hers. I offered her the best smile I could, I was trying to hide my nerves. As Mrs. Potts put my cup of tea and plate in front of me I thanked her sweetly and dug in. I turned out to be more hungry than I thought.
          Adam had excused himself to go help and talk with Ben and Mrs. Potts has left to finish some last minute cleaning. And that left Belle and I alone. The kitchen was silent as we sipped our tea.
         "What's on your mind my dear?" She set down her mug. I set down mine and stared past her out the windows.
        "How did you feel about becoming Queen? Or knowing that you'd have to give the kingdom an heir?" My voice was shaky and quiet. I watched Belle slightly choke on her tea but she recovered quickly and set down her mug once more.
"Well, Mal when it comes to becoming Queen, I was nervous. I mean I was a young girl from a small village where I'd always been told no or called odd. In Adam's castle, even when he was a Beast, I was accepted and though I was away from my father and home I felt safe and happy. And eventually I fell for Adam as a beast. So when he became human and things progressed he asked me to marry him and be his Queen I knew it was the right thing because I loved him. As for the heir, I just knew it was the right thing to do as well, and one of my responsibilities as Queen." Belle truly always knew what to say. I loved the fact that I could have these moments with her.
"Thank you so much Belle. That means a lot. I need that to..." I started to respond, but was cut off by the voice I knew to be my best friend.

Evie's PoV:
Bursting into the castle kitchen, I spoke before assessing the situation, like always. But, today it was okay, or at least it should be... it was a big day and I was so excited for my sister! "Goooood morning best friend of mine and Queen to be!!!" Looking around truly I saw Belle as well. Shit! Should I still have addressed her first? "Oh good morning to you too Mrs. Beast." Mal and Belle both laughed lightly at me.
"Is it time already?" Mal asked me. "Yes indeed! I set up everything in one of the many guest rooms. Go shower and I'll get everything laid out and steam your dress!" I pulled her up and pushed her out the door. Belle followed close behind us. Once we were out of the kitchen I drug my best friend towards the guest room I had chosen for Mal to get ready in. Belle excused herself and told us she join us momentarily.
As my best friend showered, I removed her dress from the garment bag that held it. This was without a doubt my best work yet! Not that it would match her crown or anything, but the dress I had made was a beautiful silk dress in light lavender. It had one long piece of material that went over her right shoulder and flowed down her back. In a way it was kind of like the dress of a goddess. It was perfect for her.
        As I finished laying the dress out  I heard the shower stop. I was in the middle of steaming the dress when she walked out.
        "Oh Evie it's gorgeous!" Mal exclaimed. This made my heart happy. I had never heard my best friend get so excited about a dress. For the next few hours we spent time bonding as I got her ready. It was like the good old days. And I had missed it. I straightened her hair, pinned some of it back, and did her makeup. She looked perfect. Before too long there was a knock at the door. Mal and I both responded for the person to enter. It was Belle.
         "Evie do you mind if I have a moment with my daughter in law?" I nodded and left them alone.

Mal's PoV:
I sat on my vanity stool in my dress as I watched my best friend leave and Belle close the door. She walked over to me and took my hands to help me stand.
"You look absolutely gorgeous." She spoke looking me up and down.
"Thank you, Belle. I know I should have blue and yellow on, but...." I began to plead. But, my mother in law cut me off.
"Oh no my dear. Purple suits you most. You look like a true Queen. All that's missing is the crown. I've got to get to the church to meet Adam at the door. And Ben is waiting for you downstairs. What do you say we go get you that crown?" I nodded eagerly at Belle. I was nervous and I felt like I was gonna vomit. But, I was ready for this.

*At the church...*

The carriage ride to the church had been mostly silent. Ben held my hand and squeezed it every so often in a reassuring way. He knew I was nervous and it was nice to just have him there beside me. It was also a really great feeling to be going back to the church where we had been married.
Although, I was NOT expecting to see my parents standing at the entrance with Ben's. "Mom? Dad? What are you guys doing here?" I asked very nervously. "Well we just couldn't miss this!" My mother shouted out in her super extra way.
My father pulled me in for a half hug which was very unexpected. "I promise to keep her under control." He whispered in my ear and we both laughed.
It was then that he walked in with my mother, behind Ben and his parents. Ben gave me a kiss first. I walked in a bit. I stopped at a set at a set of closed doors and the ones behind me closed. I took a deep breath breath and smiled. This was the day I'd been dreaming of. The trumpets began to sound, doors opened, and I walked forward into my future.

Mal's Coronation Dress: