Christmas Domestic AU - First Christmas With Their Baby

Airports at Christmas are a place of happiness. Families reuniting, kids coming home from college and other places, or people just arriving somewhere for a nice vacation. Like at the beginning and end of Love, Actually, there are people hugging, smiling and crying from the sheer force of feeling of the warmth spreading in their chests after seeing their loved ones.

But there's Zayn, sitting alone in a crowed LAX terminal, miles and miles away from the people he loves the most. His flight has been delayed 5 hours and with how the storms in New York are progressing, he doesn't have much hope for getting home in time for Christmas Eve. He feels terrible because while leaving for a business trip a week before Christmas is bad enough, he left his husband home alone with their newborn baby. It's their first Christmas together as a family and Zayn might miss it because of a stupid fucking business trip.

As a small consolation, the wifi's working pretty well. Zayn's found a relatively quiet spot in the corner of a café, where he's been sipping coffee after coffee for a moment now. He takes out his laptop and opens up Skype, calling the name that's usually the only one he calls. After a few short moments, Zayn's met with the sight he loves the most in the entire world - his husband smiling.

"Hi, baby," Zayn greets his husband, his shoulders immediately relaxing. "How's our Ellie?"

Harry hoists the baby in his arms so Zayn can see her face on the screen. "She's wonderful, isn't she? But honestly, she's been a doll today. Didn't cry once, can you believe that?"

"Hello, my sweetest little girl, I miss you so much," Zayn coos at the baby even though at 4 months of age, she can't understand him no matter how long she looks at Zayn with her wide blue eyes. "God, I can't believe I've been gone for a week. I feel like shit for leaving you alone with her."

"It's fine, babe," Harry says, cuddling Ellie close to his chest. "We've been doing great, haven't we, Ellie? But we both miss Daddy a lot."

"I'm dying to get home," Zayn sighs, running his hand through his hair. "But the flight's been delayed. I don't know if I get back home on time. If we leave when we're supposed to, I could get home around midday? I hope I will but the roads and all that. Ugh, I can't even think about all that."

"It's okay, love," Harry says with a small smile as he rocks the baby. "It's not your fault. And if you get home by Christmas morning, everything's gonna be just fine. Shit happens."

"I was supposed to be gone for three days only and look at these idiots," Zayn complains. "It's like they don't have their own families and lives and their only purpose in life is negotiating business deals on fucking Christmas. I don't want to miss our first Christmas with Ellie. I'd never forgive myself."

"Babe," Harry sighs. "Everything's alright. You'll make it on time. It's not like Ellie will remember it."

"But we will," Zayn protests before sighing again. "Whatever. Tell me about your day. What did you and the cutest baby in the world do?"

"Well, your daughter slept for the better part of the day," Harry says with a smirk. "At least we don't need DNA tests, she's clearly your daughter because no one else except for you and now her could sleep that much. And I just did some stuff around the house. My mom popped over and we baked gingerbread cookies. That's pretty much it."

"Is she still coming over for Christmas lunch?" Zayn asks.

"Yeah, she is," Harry nods. "She can't get enough of Ellie, you should've seen her today. She keeps saying it's crazy that I had a kid before Gemma."

"Well, considering what a slag you were five years ago when we met," Zayn winces.

"Heyyyy," Harry protests. "I just needed to find the right person. I was free-spirited."