*glimpse*

i'm sitting here, lonely asf, eating stale cookies at 2 in the morning

"Wait, huh?" You questioned. Overhaul pinched the bridge of his mask in irritation. "I'm going out with Eri for a while. She needs a few things such as clothes shoes, and other essentials." He drew a bit closer to you, his voice growing lower. Almost as if he was a embarrassed to say it. "And in order for her to trust me, I need to strengthen my bond with her." Despite the fact that Eri was used as a test subject for Overhaul's values, you thought it was cute that he was trying to get that scared little girl to be more comfortable around him.

"So, will you be able to hold down the fort until I return?" he asked. You had no idea why he was saying those words to you of all people since you tended to act a bit reckless at times, you saluted to him jokingly and promised that when he got back, everything would remain as it did before he left. That was a complete lie, by the way. Curious girls gotta roam, ya know?

Overhaul gave you an amused/ questionable look before leaving you be. "We should be back around noon or so. And don't wander off into places you shouldn't be," he reminded as he went to fetch Eri. And thus, you were left in the wide, empty hallway of the facility. Believe it or not, you and Overhaul and a stronger connection than with most. Occasionally, you'd be called into his office for a quick game of shogi and some tea. Not to mention whenever you grew bored or anxious, he'd always be the first you'd seek company. Damn, it was going to be a boring morning.

10 minutes later

"Oh my Gaaaahhhhddd. Why is everything so boring when he's not here," you wailed as you fell onto your mattress. Mimic, who was currently devouring a milk-less bowl of Apple Jacks, gazed at you with a teasing expression resting on his tiny features. "Dunno. Maybe you like him?" Hearing this caused you to sit up in alarm. Unknowingly, your cheeks began to heat up. "Hey! I invited you in my room to provide company. I can kick you out whenever I want."

The doll-like creature shrugged his shoulders and hopped off your bed with his cereal in hand. "Whatever. Doesn't make much difference to me," he replied and made his way to the door. You rolled your eyes. "You suck."
"Why don't you tell that to your boyfriend?"
You gaped at the closed door in shock. That little devil. You retorted a few snarky remarks to the air around you and dropped back to your bed in exhaustion.

2 hours later

You grumbled hopelessly as you tried to seek something—anything to do other than just sit around all glum and such. Suddenly, a slight buzz in your pocket brought you to attention and you whipped out your phone. Your brows furrowed as you examined the unknown number. You answered it with reluctance.

"Hello?"
"Y/n, It's Overhaul," answered the other line.
You smiled absentmindedly at the sound of his voice. Mimic was right. You were falling hard.
"Hey! Uhh, how's it going? Is Eri having fun?"
His words seemed to have difficulty finding the right words. "...Well, she's not frowning as much."  He sounded uncertain, but you were proud of their progress.

"That's great! So, when will you be home?" OHMYGOD you sounded like a married couple wtfff. There was a stiff silence between you. "Um—sorry that came out wrong! When will you get back?" you corrected yourself. Another short pause. "We should be home in another hour or so. Eri wants to go to another store down the street." He said 'home' right? Or did you here him wrong? You grinned.

After saying your goodbyes, you set your phone back in your pocket and leaned against the wall. He was going to be home soon. Home... you grew to love the word.

As you sat on the surprisingly clean, green floor, the sudden realization that you hadn't taken a proper shower in a couple of days settled in your thoughts and you took the moment to sniff yourself. You immediately recoiled after doing so. Yep. You needed a shower.