part one | trigonometry is the enemy

~*~

Math is not everyones strong suit- I'll give you that. It certainly is not mine. I mean seriously, when Ms. Long wrote "SOHCAHTOA" up on the white board, I knew I was screwed. 

Math is such a set formula, it's a repeating of the same idea. Math is memorization on top of algorithms on top of numbers and concepts. It doesn't come out of creativity and muse- it's born out of fundamental laws of the universe.

I hate math. I hate graphs and triangles and fractions and numbers. 

The second week of class, Ms. Long sat me in a row of three next to a kind, quiet girl and an absolute stick in the mud. The girl I liked. Underneath her desk she would bust out a thick needle and knit during lectures. The stick in the mud, was an uptight rich boy who was just so amazing at math, just stunning at it. 

He was so perfect, his notes all in line and his desk perfectly organized and his eyes glued to the board whenever we were learning a new concept. When class ended, he would always chat with the teacher. It's rumored that if you listen close when he begins to speak, you'll hear a couple of hundred sighs (the kind of relaxation) and the collective shut of eyes. Letters linger on his lips like lullabies- he's so articulate and genuine. 

Everyone loves Tenya Iida, and I am no exception.

The best part is that he sits right next to me- every single day. 

When class gets out, all my friends rush up to me and ask me what he did today. They're obsessed with him- but not the way pretty girls do. They're obsessed because they hold grudges and because they have a distaste for people who have a future. 

Kaminari crosses his legs as he sits next to me. "So what did he do next?"

I shrug. "He answered the question and got the extra credit," I tell him. "How many times I gotta reiterate it: he's a genius."

Kaminari shakes his head. "What a fucking loser."

I thought Tenya was uptight- yes- but I didn't think he was a loser. If we were all born like Tenya we would act like that, too. He has two very successful parents, a gorgeous home, a secured spot on the football team, and perfect bone structure. 

"Are you guys down to skip third? Kiri was down to buy happy wok," Mina says.

I nod. "Sounds good." Kaminari nods too, and so were all in agreement.

"Gonna bring your little girlfriend?" Sero teases him.

He punches Sero in the shoulder. "We're not dating."

"Not yet."

Mina giggles. "If were gonna skip third we outta go now."

With that, were off. Getting off campus isn't that hard, the entire thing is open and no one monitors it. At lunch we have an open campus so you can go anywhere to eat. Mina has a car (because she's very good at negotiating with rich boys) and she's always willing to drive us to go get food. 

Mina, Kirishima, Kaminari, Sero and me formed a friend group ages ago. Im the outcast of the group, and of course last to join. First it was Mina and Kirishima who've been a duo since seventh grade, off and on dating since Freshman year. Currently on (and to an extreme, it's gross.) Kami moved here and was friends with Sero and they all formed a group. And then I rolled in. 

To keep it short a simple- this is not the group of friends I would've chosen had a been given a choice at all. No one liked me, but Mina liked everyone.

Before we reach the Chinese restaurant, I can already hear Kami getting excited to eat. "We can get potstickers and egg rolls if he's willing to pay that much. Actually scratch that I don't care how much he's willing to pay were getting both I'll pay."