part twelve | why put the bar so goddamn high?

~*~

trigger warning for abuse

On Friday, Momo Yaoyorozu did an array of flips on the field during half time. I watched her hand slip as she fell into the grass. She got up, limping, but continued the routine. Her body is flung into the air, and even though she is crying, her smile is wide and proud. When the routine is over, she limps off the field, crying in pain.

During lunch, Tenya tells me that she broke her ankle. Even he's impressed with how she carried on despite all that pain. When we walk from the library to the math hall, Momo is limping on a pair of crutches to her classes.

"Do you need assistance?" Tenya asks.

Her laugh is perfect, like she's perfected it for a movie. "No thank you, I'm okay. Thank you for asking though!" She replies and carries on her way.

Afterwards, Tenya says he has to leave school early. I ask why, but he doesn't elaborate. "I just have something to do," he tells me.

I do not see him for the rest of the week. Every day I text him more and more, but his replies become less and less. So here I stand, forty feet from his front door. I can't gain the courage to knock on his door, however, as I've noticed his parents car is in the driveway.

If they're having family dinner, it is no where near my place to intrude. I lean my ear against the door to listen.

"I can't fucking be perfect!"

A stronger voice yells back, "Don't curse at me! You know better Tenya!"

"Then stop expecting everything to be perfect!"

There's a pause, a moment of silence.

"You disappoint us Tenya," a woman -his mother- says. "We gave you everything so you could live up to the Iida name and you have done nothing to do so."

"I don't care. I don't care about your stupid fucking expectations."

I want to save him, but I can't. There's a sharp sound of skin hitting skin, someone has slapped someone else. "I hope you have learned your lesson. Either leave this house, or go to your room and be silent. You will not go to school on Monday, as punishment," his father speaks.

"On Monday, I want you to clean my shoes. After that, you will schedule appointments for me, shop and pick up a couple of items for me. Clear? Oh, and make sure my tub is clean. I'll be tired when I get home."

"Of course, mother."

When I pull away from the door, I stand still in shock. He never told me they treated him like that. He never told me that they hit him when he wasn't their golden child. He never- oh god.

I sneak around to the back of his home, where the window to his bedroom is. I could totally climb up there, but I don't want to make things worse. I pick up a couple of pebbles and toss them up at his window, but he doesn't seem to notice.

I text him, even though I doubt he will even read it. I keep tossing the pebbles up until final, the window slides open and Tenya pokes his head through.

"Katsuki! What on earth are you doing?" He whisper yells.

I shrug my shoulders and smile. "I haven't seen you in forever. Can I come up or are you coming down?"

Momentarily, he hesitates. "I'll come down, gimme a moment. I need to change."

I know hes lying, he has to go through his parents, but I can't help and smile. I miss him so much. He soon steps out the front door of his home, and throws me a sweatshirt. Without thinking, I put it on and open the door to his car.

He sighs softly. "Sorry I've gone so often."

"Do you need to tell me anything?" I ask.

Tenya furrows his eyebrows. "Of course not! I've been very open to you. I love you, you know that."

I gulp, trying to figure out how to tell him I know. "Your parents are home," I remark.

He nods. "They are! I've missed them."

"I'm glad they're back. Hey, what happened to your cheek?" I run my thumb over the bright red skin where his father smacked him.

Tenya flinches for a moment, but only slightly. "Oh nothing. Nothing I can think of."

I hover over his skin, and then I let a sigh out. "How long?" I ask.

"Hmm?"

"How long have you been treated like this Tenya? By your parents?"

He shakes his head. "I beg your pardon?"

I sigh, and pull away. "I overheard your little argument. How long have you been treated like this?"

"It's really not that bad, Katsuki. I'm put thro-"

"He hit you, he hit you hard. It'll probably bruise at this point Tenya. Please let me h-"

His voice is stern once he cuts me off. "I am fine," He mutters through clenched teeth. "I am Tenya fucking Iida, I have a secured scholarship to The University of Alabama where I will play football and eventually be drafted into the NFL. I have every single person at our petty high school under my goddamn thumb." He pauses, starting the car and pulling away from his house. "And I will be fine without the help from the likes of you."

I furrow my eyebrows. "The likes of me? Are you fucking kidding me? I'm trying to help you!"

He groans and rolls his eyes. "Katsuki I don't need your help! Please, I will be fine." His voice is soft again, it is what I am used to.

"I love you. I don't want you being treated this way," I say, hopelessly trying to get him to agree.

He smiles. "I appreciate it Katsuki, but I will be out of here before I even know it. I just have to follow the rules," he tells me. We have drove a block around the neighborhood.

"Do you wanna take me home?" I ask.

Tenya nods. "Yes, I will." He turns the car around, towards my home. "I'm sorry you had to see my family at our worst."

I gulp. "I just want you to tell me about these things."

He does not reply, at least until we are at my house. He kisses me goodbye softly. "I will always be okay in the end, Katsuki," He tells me. "When we grow up, we can run away," He says.

"Tenya, we already are grown up."

He nods, "Maybe." But I don't think he believes it.

Inside my room, comforted by walls that have always contained me, I call Mykiah. The phone rings a couple of times, and finally she picks up.

She coughs first, but then says, "Do you know what time it is in Italy right now?"

I hesitate to answer, trying to calculate the time in my head. "2 am?"

"Yeah, 2:38 to be specific. But hey, at least you called. What's up with you? Any cute girls?"

I shake my head, even though I know she can't see. "Not really. But nothing has been going on that much, school is hard but that's that."

"School will never not be hard, 'Suki. That's life. But how are you friends? How's the rowdy one, gosh what's her name? Mia?"

I laugh. "Mina. She recently got pregnant, but she's taking it perfectly fine. How's David?" I ask.

There's a pause before she speaks. "I can't stand him, but we are married. So, I can't do a whole lot to fix it." 

I sigh loud enough that she can hear me. "One day I'll come and save."

"God, I hope."

~*~