part four | maraschino cherries

~*~

Kirishima's apartment always smells so nice. He has a knack for picking out candles that we've always picked on him for. He likes clean smells, so most of his candles are blue and called "ocean breeze" or "soft blanket" or "splash of rain." Something along those lines.

His birthday is coming up and Mina is shopping with me. "He's just been working so hard lately," she says softly. "He's back in school so he can go to college and get his associates degree so he can provide for me- well us actually."

I nod, still sifting through the candles, trying to find one suited for Kiri. "What are you going to do?"

"Not sure yet." She picks a candle out. "See now this is nice, he would like this," Mina says, picking up a green candle. "Smells like the rain."

"Should I get it for him?" I ask her.

She shrugs. "Do what you will." There's a pause. "You know he loves everything, so nothing will ever be that bad."

I suppose Mina is right. Kiri loves everything. He completely has a heart of gold, and I would expect him to reject any gift. Speaking of his heart of gold, I don't think I've ever seen him get angry. Frustrated? Yes. Annoyed? Of course. But angry, truly upset and fuming and unruly? Never. 

We stroll through a few more aisles before we end up in the toddler's section. Mina's hands graze over things like clothing and baby cribs. "Can I tell you something Bakugou?"

I nod. "Of course. What's up?"

She sighs. "You are my best friend, you know that?"

"Well I- I kind of thought so yes." 

Mina turns to me. She looks so distant and there is a glint of sadness in her eyes. "Good. I just- Bakugou," she sighs. "I wish things were different. I can't take any steps to change it because what's done is done yknow? But like, this isn't the best."

"With the pregnancy?"

She nods. "Yeah. I mean, there's no perfect option, so this is the lesser of two evils. I just wish it wasn't like this." 

"Like you could go back in time?"

"Exactly!"

I put my hand on her shoulder. "Be as optimistic as possible Mina. I know it's not great right now. But I promise it will get better. And look on the bright side! Kirishima is going back to school, which I know you wanted for him to do anyways. And even though your parents are gone at least they're off your back. And you've always wanted kids."

She nods. "Thanks for the support."

And with that we leave. We speak nothing more on the subject, and instead just laugh about silly things and pay for our items. We're going back to their apartment to hang out and have a big sleepover, just like when we were little. Sero, Kami, and Jirou are all coming, too. 

Kirishima's apartment is fairly big. It has two bedrooms, which is surprisingly nice for where we live. Everything is so expensive in California, so paying for a two-bedroom apartment almost seems impossible. Somehow Kiri makes it work. 

Kiri laughs as he welcomes us in. "Welcome to the abode!" he says. 

I step inside and take a breath of the air, which smells nice and clean like Kirishima always has. 

Behind me, I hear Kirishima speaking to Mina but I can't decipher the conversation. Blame it on my bad hearing. 

"Bakugou!" Mina shouts.

I whipped my head around. "What's up?"

She giggles. "I was trying to get your attention, I was asking what ice cream you wanted."

I perk up. "Were getting ice cream? Um, I'll have cookie dough please."

Kiri nods. "So cookie dough, mint chocolate chip, rocky road, and cotton candy?" he recites off.

Mina smiles up at him. "Yep!"

I notice Kirishima's arm is softly linked on her waist and she is leaned into his arms. It's clear that they're in love just from the way they treat each other. Kiri always looks at Mina like she's the most perfect thing he has ever seen. It's quite romantic. 

Sero comes before Kami and Jirou, which is expected. Kaminari has never been on time ever in his life. When he shows up, Kirishima then leaves to go get more ice cream from a store. 

Sero has been more and more quiet lately, so while Mina is in her room getting something, I slide over to him. "What's been up with you lately?" I ask, trying to make my tone sound caring and not like an asshole. 

He shrugs. "Just been stressful lately, cause I'm applying to colleges and stuff. And yknow Denki and his stupid girlfriend."

Right as he says that the door swings open and Kami steeps through with a girl right behind. "Hey losers," he says joyfully.

I chuckle. "Speak of the devil."

The girl, who I assume is Jirou, awkwardly stands while Sero and Kaminari do their thing. "Um hi, Jirou, right?" I say. 

She nods. "Yeah. And you?"

"I'm Bakugou. It's nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," she replies. Even though she looks dismissive on the outside, she seems sweet. Not to mention Kami adores her so she can't be that awful. 

Mina bounces over to us from the kitchen smiling. "Hey Jirou," she says, her voice as bubbly as always.

In the next few minutes, we spend talking and swapping dumb stories. Kaminari always has something exciting to tell. That's the give and take with him. On one hand, all he does is gossip, on the other, he always has something to say. 

"Kirishima just told me he's leaving the store so get ready!" Mina tells us.

We all giggle and rush to get the decorations up. Since it's Kiri's birthday and everything we thought it would be fun to throw a stupid surprise party for him. 

How old are we again?

I hid behind the couch, patiently waiting for Kirishima to walk into his apartment. A few minutes pass until I hear the click of the door.

"Surprise!" We all jump out and yell. Mina hid behind their plant and put a party hat on Kirishima just in time.

He jumps back and starts laughing. "Here I was thinking you guys forgot!"

"We could never!" Sero yells and wraps his arm around Kiri's shoulder. 

Mina takes the grocery bags out of his hands and put them on the counter. After that, we eat ice cream and play videogames and open presents. Kirishima (surprisingly) really likes the candle I got him, so I call that a win. 

The night comes to an end eventually. Kami and Jirou leave but for me and Sero we stay behind and spend the night.

Oh, how I love these moments. 

~*~