IX. Goodbye Old Friends

One week and two days
after incident

Tuesday, 9:25 A.M.

The sun slowly ascended into the sky, the morning air was crisped. Fall leaves had just started to fall as everyone gathered. The group watched their two friends get lowered into the ground. They were surrounded by family and friends who came to say goodbye to Cliff Evans and Hannah Thompson. The school was canceled that day for the funeral, tear-stained people cried out loud at the speech that was being given. The group looked at each other and held hands quietly, they're eyes focused above the coffins. For each time they looked at their friends all they could see was pain and death.

"I... I can't," Iris Stratton quickly said before turning away. Her face pale and her heart racing. She never thought that in her life she'd ever be apart from anything like this. Killing and death were only supposed to be in movies or at least not in her life.

Miles Finch stood a few feet away from the group, his eyes trained on the two pictures that were next to the grave. Cliff in his Sunday outfit while Hannah in her prom dress. A toothy smile on both of their faces. They looked so happy... So innocent, he thought. With one last look, he walked away.

Penelope-Jane Bourgeois didn't know them as well but she could tell that everyone did care about them. That they were good people on their time on Earth. Everything happens for a reason, she thought. I hope it was a good reason then. She released her hands from the others before stepping away as well.

Carlie Jonas was going to miss her Cliff the most. She could always count on him to help her out with work when she was skipping. The two had started to grow closer as friends but now it was gone. She took off her beanie that used to be his and held it in her hand. She brought it closer to her before whispering a goodbye. Carlie placed it next to the picture before leaving.

Rhydian Ace tried not to think about the two dead bodies that laid in the coffin. One minute they were both in his class, complete strangers, and now they laid silently in two wooden boxes. He looked at the others that were left before politely dismissing himself from the service.

London Marcus' heart clenched at the sight of his friend gone. No one had told him that he's dearest friend was long gone. No longer could he joke with him or watch football on Superbowl with him. He didn't feel like crying with everyone watching. He placed his hands in his hoodie and stepped away.

Tessa Reyes had her arms crossed and face down. Cliff and Hannah were her lunch buddies and were the only ones that could actually tolerate her, expect her brother of course. She stood kicking at the grass in sadness and waited for the speech to be over. She hardly focused on the words but instead the memories. Tessa looked at their dead faces and left with a goodbye.

Zoey McCalister was the last to stay. She held a bouquet of flowers and walked over to the two massive holes. She knelt down before tossing in flowers. "Goodbye old friends. May we see each other again soon."

Someone cleared their throat behind her and Zoey stood and turned around to face him. Her heart skipped a beat before calming down. She nodded respectfully in his direction. "Officer Reyes," she said. She'd known him for quite a while since it was Tessa's father.

"Please, Zoey. Call me Thomas." He walked forward and examined Cliff and Hannah's picture. "I was hoping to catch my daughter before she left. She always seems to know when I'm about to show up."

Zoey smiled at him. "Always running from the law."

He laughed before turning his attention onto her. "But that's not why I came to tell you though." His expression turned serious and Zoey pressed all jokes aside. "We managed to arrest your friend, March-Cortez. You all are safe now. We can still keep officers posted for another day if you all would like-"

"Are we allowed to see her?" she asked. I wanted to know why. Why she would do this? Did she even have a motive? She thought. I knew something was always bothering her after her parents died. Why wouldn't she have told me?

Thomas shook his head and said, "That's probably not the best idea, Zoey. The therapist is trying to work with you and the last thing you need is to relive what happened."

She let out a sigh. "I suppose you are right. That would the last thing Iris needs."

He patted her shoulder as she walked off. "Best you head home now. Remember you all are all safe now."

"Thank you."