/15/C҉A҉N҉T҉ H҉A҉N҉D҉L҉E҉ C҉H҉A҉N҉G҉E҉

αυgυѕт 28тн, 2008

Connie Rogers was undeniably an intimidating woman. Her sharp eyes were cold just like a merciless snow storm, clouding over everything.
But even if the woman had the upmost coldest aura anybody could come across sugar seemed to sink into her skin; giving her not just a warm, blush pigment but a calm and sweet personality. She was the perfect mix of fire and ice, a perfect woman, a perfect mother.

And being her, a perfect mother I mean, meant that she had the most perfect connection with her children (or at least she thinks).
So when Connie spotted her son curled up on the couch while everyone else was celebrating his birthday, it was almost a heart breaking sight.

"Toby? What's wrong? It's your birthday and everyone else is having fun but you, dear! That's kind of silly, don't you think?"
And just like always, Connie put on a welcoming smile, using the most sweetest, candy-like of voices for her wayward son.

"I d-d-don't know. I don't w-want to."

Connie mentally face palmed.
She loved both of her children to death. But Toby... he was... different.
She couldn't blame him though; mental and physical illness, having two parents that always fight and now having kids teasing you could really get to you, she supposed. It was just so hard to understand... especially when Toby never... communicated.
"Toby, your cousins came all the way from Germany to see you. Lyra's the one entertaining them. Why don't you go say hi and have some cake."

Toby slowly lifted his head, staring blankly at his mother.
He could tell that his mother was practically breaking from trying... it was the only reason he got his ass off the couch and entered the kitchen wordlessly.

"Happy Birthday, Toby!"
Lyra came waltzing into view.
One hand clutching onto Toby's skinny shoulder while the other held up
Delilah—Ezra's baby sister and also the youngest of that bastard's— who happily played with Lyra's sunny locks.
Delilah was the only one Toby could really stand... he even thought that she was quite adorable.
She kinda resembled you in a way with huge sparkling eyes and atramentous curls that only reached below her ears.
"I was looking for you
everywhere!
What? are you planning
on ditching your own party?"
Her eyebrows knit together and a small smile seemed to be sewed on her glossy lips.

"I— but Ezra a-a-and his bro-brother are here. Last t-t-time they were h-here you h-had to b-break the lock on th-the door c-cause I was sh—
they locked m-me in there."

"Yo! Lyra! Tell everyone to shut the fuck up!"
Lyra's eyes fell past Toby, locking onto a frustrated yet highly trippy version of you as you gestured towards her cousin's who fought for cake.

"_______! There are kids here."
Lyra literally presented the spaced out toddler in her arms.

Your hands faltered to your sides, following along with a perplexed look staining your face.
"Well tell them to shut the fuck up too, I guess."
You mumbled inaudibly, making your way over to the two siblings.

Toby flinched at the sudden presence on his cheek but soon subconsciously melted when he realized it was your touch as you cupped it with your cold hand.
"Happy birthday kid!"

A charismatic yet cocky grin masked your face as the hand on Toby's cheek drifted to his shoulder.
"I've got a surprise for you.
Trust me you'll like it."
The same hand yet again drifted, now grabbing onto his hand as you led him into the living room.

There, right next to the fireplace was a pack of markers, the expensive ones that kids around the block would just die to borrow for projects.
Next to it were pigmented paints of all type, more vibrant than this dull life.