/21/D҉A҉N҉N҉Y҉ D҉E҉V҉I҉T҉O҉

σ¢тσвєя 17тн, 2009

          You were too busy. Too busy for him all because of that damn dog.

Yeah, Toby was jealous of a dog...
a literal dog.

Maybe it sounded a little silly but it was true.
It was coming to the point where you hung out with Smile or whatever it's name was more than him.

So Toby did the only thing he knew.

He spotted you sitting on the steps leading to his house,  a bright energetic smile painted on your face while that damned dog barked and jumped around like a person on their eighth can of Red Bull.

He quietly took a seat beside you, holding his burned, left hand close to his chest.
He might've did it on purpose... sitting it on top of a candle for a pretty long period of time.
That'll certainly get your attention... you always gave him special treatment when he got hurt.

Toby cleared his throat.
"Um... I—... I g-got burned."
He stated quite bluntly, waiting for your reaction with wide eyes.

Your head snapped in his direction.
"Oh! I didn't even know you were there..." you laugh more out of shock than really finding anything funny... a terrible habit, really.
"Show me where... it's probably not that bad."

He displayed his hand.
The top layer of his skin completely torn off, blood oozing from underneath.

Your eyes immediately widened as you quickly got up, prompting Toby to copy your exact actions.
"Shit... uh... I don't know what to do."
You stammered, running a hand desperately through your hair.
"I'm go—"

"C-can I have a hu-hug?"

"Toby, not right now, I need to fix—"
His eyes began to swell up with tears, his bottom lip quivering slightly.

Dammit, what are you supposed to do?!

You stood there, panicking; your gazing switching from Toby to the door while Smile jumped happily at your leg.

"Not now Smile!"
You yell in vexation, shaking the dog off.

It took a lot for Toby to restrain himself from bursting into a fit of laughter.

It worked.

This was the first time since you both got Smile that you dismissed the mutt... giving all your attention to him.

If Toby had to drench your mind in fear for him to spend time with you he'll gladly do it.

"Dammit, Tobias!"
You finally grab Toby, pulling him into a tight hug.
He gladly returned it, wrapping his arms around your waist and burying his face into the crook of your neck.

"Look, kid... if it makes you feel better... on Halloween my friends and I are going somewhere, Lyra's coming too. You could come if your burn heals fast enough."

"I w-would love tha-that."
He smiles pridefully, glaring at the dog.

The thought of spitting the words 'I'll kill you' to Smile crossed Toby's mind.
But the longer he looked into the dog's eyes the quicker all of his pride withered away, sweeping under a metaphorical carpet.
Instead of Toby saying those words he could picture the dog threatening to kill him with that stupid smile just growing by the second.