/23/ I҉N҉S҉E҉R҉T҉ D҉A҉N҉ S҉C҉H҉N҉E҉I҉D҉E҉R҉ L҉A҉U҉G҉H҉ T҉R҉A҉C҉K҉

σ¢тσвєя 31ѕт, 2009

The pouring rain seemed to disappear, shielded by the canopy of thick trees above.
The only thing now that kept your vision at bay was the utter darkness.

Terrible idea, you know, but you literally just got Smile!
You wanted to portray the depressed main characters in those coming of age movies with their only friend being their trusty dog!
It's your life long dream!

A cold, wet hand yanks at your wrist, causing an ear piercing shriek to leave your almost blue lips.

"It's just me."
The blinding light of a flashlight lands on Lyra's tired face.
"The others are coming, did you find Smile yet?"

You pursed your lips in annoyance.
"Does it look like I found him?"

"Right." Lyra lets out a strained out laugh, shrugging her shoulders as her gaze falls to the ground.
"Maybe he—"

Another bark erupted in the distance, closer than last time, leaving a feeling of hope that starts to rise within you.

Without a second thought you dashed off, going deeper into the forest, leaving a tired and 'done-with-life' Lyra behind.

It wasn't long until you finally reached your destination.
A small form of light seeping through the trees and landing on a shivering Smile; like how the spotlight shines down on an elegant actor or actress, stealing the crowd's anticipated gaze and taking their breath away.

You rushed to his side, enveloping him in a desperate but loose hug, the water droplets on his knotted fur making contact with your shirt and leaving you even more drenched than before.

Though even if it seemed like this moment could never rip out of your grasp... someone just had to come and ruin it.

"Um... _ —______?"
Toby's shaking voice pierced the oh so dramatic moment like a needle making contact with a balloon.

Standing up, you spin around to face the timid kid.
"What?"

"W-why... why did y-you le-let go of me?"

... yeah you can't do this right now.
This... this new Toby was too clingy for your liking.
You really don't know what hormone hit this child but for the love of your sweet, precious freedom MAKE IT STOOOOP!

"Honey, I wasn't trying to, I was just looking for Smile."
You offer- no BEG him to just take the comforting smile formed on your face as an attempt for him to calm down.

"S-so Smile is mo-more important tha-than me?"

That same smile quickly falters.
"What? No! Of course no—"

"So wha-what... what if I hu-hurt myself... again?"
He takes a step forward, the confidence in this little manipulative game he discovered from burning himself last time forming within himself again.
"It'd be a-all your f-fault, y'know... for ca-caring about a d-dog more than me."

The little feeling of relief from getting Smile back replaced itself with panic as you take a step back, making sure not to trip over the dog.
"You... you wouldn't dare."

"Stop with all this sexual tension and look at the goddamn trees, will you?"
Ezra takes the liberty to step in between the two of you, resting his hands on both of your shoulder's.

You didn't even notice his presence but let's just say this was the first time (and probably the only) you've ever actually been excited about Ezra's sudden appearance.

"What do you mean?"

"The trees, ______. They have markings."
Lyra's soft and steady voice muttered from behind you, her figure crouched down as the flashlight focused on a strange carving in the tall trunk of a nearby tree.