The Task

Michael's Point of View

This was beyond difficult. I had been practicing all week just to complete this task. I was really stressing and I could've sworn I found a grey hair yesterday. It felt like taking the SAT's all over again in high school. I grabbed my gloves, mask, some sweatpants, and cracked my knuckles. I can do this.

"What are you doing?" Jenny asked.

"Changing Lilly's diaper. What else?"

"Is all that really necessary?"

"Yes bella. This is like surgery." I changed her diaper in record time. Well at least that's what the stopwatch showed. I put her down for her afternoon nap. It was just the six of us since Mikey started preschool. I was proud of him. Our fridge was littered with pictures of zoo animals.

"I can't believe my little buddy is growing up. Next thing you know he'll be getting married and you'll get old. What will I do?"

"Me get old? Michael you're like 9 years older than me. And stop worrying, he'll always be your little buddy. And don't even think about going to his school. He told me the kids laugh at him when you do that."

When I have time I go and check on Mikey at school. And by check on him I mean sitting in the back of class. With my job I just want to make sure he's safe. It's almost 11:00, and its time to pick him up from school. I wait outside of his school, and see him handing a piece of paper to a little red haired girl. I opened the back door and strapped him in his seat. I noticed he wasn't as talkative. Jenny already had dinner ready. I pulled her to the side.

"He didn't say a word on the way home."

"That's pretty weird. Mikey is everything alright at school?"

"Well daddy has stopped sitting in my class. They don't mess with me anymore. But I think I got a girlfriend. Her name is Sofia, and she has red hair. I drew her a picture" he said.

"Isn't that sweet? Wanna watch some Spongebob?" He hopped out of his seat and ran towards Jenny. My heart swelled with pride. His first girlfriend. I definitely have got to stop sitting in his class, I might destroy his relationship. He'll never have another girlfriend. Then he'll hate me forever.

"Michael, he's still you're little buddy. You know?" Jenny said disrupting me from my thoughts.

"Yea I gotta loosen up a bit don't I." She nodded her head, and kissed me on the temple. I went to my office to do work when I noticed my office was a wreck. I immediately grabbed my gun. I checked my safe to see if anyone stole my important documents. Everything was locked. I went to my desk and noticed crayons and coloring all over my latest contract. These children will be the death of me.

"Jenny!!" I heard her race into my office.

"Michael what is going on?" I pointed to the destroyed contracts, crossed my arms and pouted. Jenny pushed past me and opened a folder with extra copies in it.

"Seriously?" She shook her head and walked out of my office. I worked for about an hour when I heard a faint knocking. "Come in."

Michael walked in yawning and crawled onto my lap. "What are you doing daddy?"

"Just looking over some stuff. Somebody took something of mine."

"Well why don't you wrestle? When you do that your always look happy." Michael was to young to be introduced to my lifestyle when had he seen me beat someone up?

"Mikey what do you mean buddy?"

"Well you and Mommy always wrestle but she always wins, you aren't very good." Sweet baby Jesus.

"Alright time for a nap." I put him in his bed and got dressed.

"Where are you going?" Jenny asked.

"To get locks for our bedroom door."

----------------------------------------------------
(November 13, 2014)