Chapter 21: Falling Slowly

Chapter 21

Falling Slowly

The night was thick and black before him. Reed could barely make out Pauly's outline until they stepped into the dim light that illuminated the claustrophobic space behind the club. Reed was beginning to feel stupid for following him out here. After Catty had declared the winner, all Pauly had whispered in Reed's ear was "cheater". It wasn't a threat or anything, it had just ticked him off. But why drag this on longer than it needed to go?

Reed shifted his weight from foot to foot. "Pauly," He began calmly. "Can we make amends?"

"Amends?" The laughter that followed, spewing out of Pauly's mouth, was disgusting and laced with saliva. "You think we're out here to sign a peace treaty?"

"Actually, I have no idea why we're out here." Reed crossed his arms over his chest, he hadn't had a chance to slip a shirt on after the fight, and he was getting a little cold. 

"Your people cheated." Pauly sneered, his ugly face pursing together. "Those refs and that announcer all work here." He pointed a meaty finger at the building they stood behind. "They're all bias!" 

"They were also the ones closest to the mat." Reed pointed out. 

"Whatever!" Pauly exclaimed. "That still doesn't make it fair!" He was moving closer and closer to Reed. "I shoulda won! It shoulda been me!" Pauly's hands folded into large fists, pumping with angry blood. 

"Pauly, don't." Reed tried to keep his voice stable. 

"You don't get it, Fields." Pauly spoke through gritted teeth. "I have to." 

Pauly was too quick, there was no way Reed would've been able to block his punch. Pauly's callused hand made contact with Reed's jaw and created a splintering screech. Reed cried out in a noise of pain he had never heard himself use before. He fell, side first, onto the cold and wet pavement below. His neck whip lashed and caused his head to bump the ground. Reed wailed as his body curled in pain. There was a river of blood that drenched his body in red. 

"NO!" She came from around the corner, long hair flying behind her as she ran over to Pauly, who was shaking his fist, spitting on the ground near Reed's head. "What the hell?" Reed watched as Suzette poked a finger into Pauly's bare chest. "The fight is OVER, dim wad!" She looked down at Reed with concerned eyes. Once she noticed all the blood, she covered her mouth to block a gasp from shock. "What the hell did you do to him, Pauly?"

She crouched down to check on Reed, but Pauly grabbed her by the shoulder, pulling her back up. "Don't touch me!" She complained, trying to snake out of his grasp.

"So you're on his side too, huh?" Pauly's voice was an eerie calm. "Everyone just loves Reed, huh?" 

"Let her go!" Reed tried to scream, but instead his voice came out pained and quiet. 

"He didn't do anything wrong!" Suzette yelled. "All he did was win."

That's what set Pauly off again. He was reminded of his failure. His face turned bright scarlett and there was no turning back. One swift movement was all it took to smash innocent Suzette's cheek. She fell gracefully, blood dripping out of her open mouth, and landed facing Reed on her side. Reed looked at her through blurry vision. Her hair was tangled and looked as though it had been dip dyed in red ink. Her jacket was stained and scuffed, her eyes were wide and watering. She was badly hurt, but had never looked more angelic. But it was the fear stamped on her face that got him. "I'm sorry." He mouthed, holding back the tears of guilt that threatened to fall. 

Suzette still had enough strength to speak. "Don't be." That's when her breathing slowed, her eyes closed, and someone screamed.